JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Wizard Locking double doors
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Wizard Locking double doors
    GreySage

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:08 am  
    Wizard Locking double doors

Wondering if double doors are treated as a single door for casting purposes, IF their combined total area does not exceed the area of effect,

OR

if you have to cast it twice, regardless if there combined total area is less than is required?

DM's call, ultimately, I realize, but wondering collective thoughts on this matter. It might become pertinent in one of my games in the near future.

thanks,

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:35 am  

Personally, I'd allow a double door to be affected by a single wizard lock. If you think about a mechanical lock, a double door still only needs one lock rather than a lock for each door involved so I'd apply the same logic to the spell.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 am  

I know it's been a minute since you asked ...
    But, I would treat them as a single door.
    Just as it is a pair of pants, I would say that this is a pair of doors.
    It's a single vestibule in a single frame. There's only a single lock in the middle holding them together.

I think that any DM that said it takes two is being a little overly pedantic. There's no reason that it would be ... once one door is open, that doorway is open. I might suggest that in a strict reading, the intent of "a door, a chest, or portal" is to make it clear that it's one opening that is being locked.
    There is nothing in the description that would lead one to believe that it's for only a single object that resembles a flat, upright, or hinged mechanism, or that it even has to have a locking mechanism. It could just be a rock pile thrust into a cave opening, within given size parameters.
    Because it's the portal being sealed magically, not the object closing it.

I would even go further that the reading of "portal" should use a definition meaning "doorway" to make it even more clear, so that it's synonymous with "portal".
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 am  

It's interesting that you should ask this.

In my games, I tend to consider the one casting sufficient to lock double doors. Having said that, what makes this an interesting question is the fact that in the computer game, "Temple of Elemental Evil," double doors within the temple require TWO "Knock" spells to open both doors.

That's correct, if you wish to swing both doors wide open, it requires two "Knock" spells to do it. Clearly, someone at Wizards of the Coast is of a different opinion.

Just something for you to consider.

Wed May 02, 2018 12:53 am  

I would agree with the majority of people saying 1 spell for 1 portal (including double doors)

The only things I would add is I have played before every locking/restraining mechanism.

To explain that I have ran an adventure where a double door has had 2 lock on the door, 1 locking from left to right and the other locking from right to left, This I rulked would need 2 spells as there is 2 restraining effects
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: