Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Living Greyhawk Plotlines?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Living Greyhawk Plotlines?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 am  
    Living Greyhawk Plotlines?

Hi All,

I have most of the LG stuff. I found the LG unofficial Bandit Kingdom booklet that has a great summary of all the BK plot lines. Is there anything even remotely similar for other areas or even the Core adventures? It's slow slogging to go through all the adventures.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:25 am  

Nope. Casey Brown is the most prolific of the LG authors in documenting a region, adapting his modules, and writing new GH content with the restricted IP removed. No on else has released a full region summary or publicly converted an LG module.
    http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/8429/Casey-Brown

The Keoland Triad morphed into Greyhawk Reborn and continued the tradition of GH convention gaming. They build on LG plotlines, but they can't publish the new works.
    http://greyhawkreborn.net

Creighton Broadhurst has continued to support GH (not LG specifically) in his blog's campaign journals and notable works like Madness at Gardmore Abbey, Town Backdrop: Deksport (i.e. Dekspoint, BUY IT), and subtle homages to TSR classics from Raging Swan Press.
    http://www.rpgnow.com/product/135398/Town-Backdrop-Deksport?manufacturers_id=3311

Stuart Kerrigan's Onnwal page is the best-maintained LG site still publicly accessible that I know of, complete with its gazetteer and a few very short adventure summaries. This is probably the closest to what you're looking for.
    http://skerrigan.co.uk/Onnwal

A new other LG regional gazetteers (Zeif, Naerie, etc) are easily found.

Vernon L. Vincent popped up on the Sages of Oerth-Greyhawk FB group earlier this year and shared some of his personal LG Verbobonc files. Search for Vernon or Verbobonc.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471065309863986

I wasn't a part of the campaign, these are simply the post-LG works I've found as an avid listener.
    CF Admin

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:54 am  
    Re: Living Greyhawk Plotlines?

heychadwick wrote:
    I have most of the LG stuff. I found the LG unofficial Bandit Kingdom booklet that has a great summary of all the BK plot lines. Is there anything even remotely similar for other areas or even the Core adventures? It's slow slogging to go through all the adventures.

You can at least review a good log/index of the LG adventures via the Greyhawk Collector's Guide at ENWorld @ http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?332812-Greyhawk-Collector-s-Guide (search for "Core scenarios" on the page to jump to that section---there's no anchor anymore).

Allan.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm  

Did Madness at Gardmore Abbey have any Greyhawk connection other than Creighton wrote it?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 pm  

edmundscott wrote:
    Did Madness at Gardmore Abbey have any Greyhawk connection other than Creighton wrote it?
    It's heavy on the GH gods that made it into 4e (particularly Tharizdun, Pelor, and Kord) and it has the Deck of Many Things.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:38 am  

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate it.

I do have the majority of LG modules, which is exactly what I wanted early on. I have a lifetime of material at this point. I don't think I can publicly share the info. If I just started reading it all I could get it, but that is a lot of material!

I found the write up of Bandit Kingdom plot lines that was put out there and it was a great way to read it. I did the Grand March stuff, but I never finished it all or got to go to Interactives. So, even results and major plots were lost on me sometimes. To have something summed up as nicely as the BK did was a great read. Work is slow and many resources blocked. Having something engaging to read would be nice.

I skimmed the final module and love that your actions impact Iuz and the while world. I guess I need to start reading all the modules to get the plot points.

Thanks for the help.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:55 am  

(My.space.bar.is.broken.lol)

Thanks.to.everyone.for.the.kind.words.about.my.book.
    Sadly,.WotC.has.no.interest.in.financially.supporting.similar.archiving.efforts,.thus.the.other.former.Triads.have.little.incentive.to.do.their.own.versions(it.was.a.ton.of.work).
    My.next.LG.mod.conversion.will.be.released.later.this.year(http://www.cbediting.com/lg-bk-classics-2)

(having.no.space.bar.really.sucks)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:42 am  

Sorry about your space bar, but thanks so much for the write up! I'll admit that wuth all the LG stuff to look through, I probably would've taken a while to look at the Bandit Kingdoms. Getting to read it all was really cool. I got to see what it was like.

It would be nice to even have a paragraph per year of major themes for each kingdom. Of course, more is better, but just having a summary would be nice.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:10 pm  

heychadwick wrote:

It would be nice to even have a paragraph per year of major themes for each kingdom. Of course, more is better, but just having a summary would be nice.

This sounds like a community project or wiki. Everyone skim and summarize an LG adventure once a week.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 01, 2018 5:28 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    heychadwick wrote:

This sounds like a community project or wiki. Everyone skim and summarize an LG adventure once a week.

I love the idea and would've started it already, except most of my free time (lately) has been at work. Work blocks lots of things and I'm not even allowed to email out. My work is cyclical and I'm on a downside. I don't have access to a full keyboard that can send the content here. I'm on my phone for everything. Very frustrating for me. I would be happy to do it all.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 01, 2018 11:09 am  

heychadwick wrote:

I love the idea and would've started it already, except most of my free time (lately) has been at work. Work blocks lots of things and I'm not even allowed to email out. My work is cyclical and I'm on a downside. I don't have access to a full keyboard that can send the content here. I'm on my phone for everything. Very frustrating for me. I would be happy to do it all.

Phone + small data plan + little bluetooth keyboard!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 03, 2018 2:29 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    heychadwick wrote:

I would be -very- interested in participating in this. I moved to France a few years ago and only get to game while back in the States over the summers, so far. I've been re-reading all the old material to get my fix, and having exhausted that started moving into the LG stuff I managed to get hold of.

Tracking all of it, given the vast size, is difficult especially when reading piecemeal. A wiki would be pure gold, and a unified timeline would make me do a jig.

To contribute to that sort of thing with a few hours of reading and a 20-minute post each week would be doable and highly rewarding.

The LG material had so much impact on the world as a whole, and there have been some great ideas in the material that I have read. The Great Kingdom and Bright Sands arcs seemed particularly important to the world and timeline in general, from what I have read.

WOTC's stubbornness here is really self-defeating: if they want to advance the timeline for a possible future restart of Greyhawk, this sort of work would be a goldmine for their writing team. Sure, most of it might be discarded, and they probably already have most of it... but a unified timeline? So valuable for anyone (including us) to mine through.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 03, 2018 2:40 pm  

Also, there are a few plot summaries in some of the wizards LG news articles, for example the Bright Sands writeup here:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgcn/20080313a
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 pm  

Savnock wrote:
    Also, there are a few plot summaries in some of the wizards LG news articles, for example the Bright Sands writeup here:

Thanks for that one! I didn't know about it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 am  

heychadwick wrote:
    Savnock wrote:

Thanks for that one! I didn't know about it.

No problem. Like you I've spent a loooooot of time trolling through the internet wreckage of the LG communities, because I was interested in a project just like the one we're discussing here (consolidated timeline and major events summary).

Speaking of which: Do we have any serious interest in this? What would be the first steps? I would be very interested in helping out, and will take on part of the infrastructure or organizing work if needed.

It's too big a task for one person probably given the amount of material to read: but a dozen of us could have it done by end of summer.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm  

I would like for it to happen, but part of it has to deal with spare time. The longest stretches of spare time for me are actually at work. My projects go in cycles and sometimes I find myself with a significant amount of time. The only problem is I"m contractor and can't email outside the company. No forums. So, any work I could type up would never be able to leave my work system. I don't own a laptop.

Otherwise, it would be a fun thing.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:08 am  

heychadwick wrote:
    I would like for it to happen, but part of it has to deal with spare time. The longest stretches of spare time for me are actually at work. My projects go in cycles and sometimes I find myself with a significant amount of time. The only problem is I"m contractor and can't email outside the company. No forums. So, any work I could type up would never be able to leave my work system. I don't own a laptop.

Otherwise, it would be a fun thing.

If you just read the articles there (thumbdrive, phone, whatever) and then wrote a few notes on paper, you could type them up later. Keeping summaries to a few paragraphs and some date/time entries on the timeline is probably a good idea anyways.

Can you type things up on a work computer and stick them on a thumbdrive to get them offsite? Or is that a security issue?

I'll be taking on part of this project on my own (probably everything Great Kingdom-related), hoping someone else will join me, this autumn and winter. I live and work in a country where I barely speak the language, so reading through LG material sounds like a fun way to get a bit of the DMing planning fix, even if I can't game here much. Perhaps others in similar situations will take some of this on.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:06 am  

Security is crazy tight. I'd get fired for plugging in a thumb drive or even to charge my phone.

I just don't get that much time outside of work, to be honest. I'm married with kids.

I am thinking of trying to make YouTube videos on the basics of Greyhawk. I do run a campaign for my kid and his friends. The kids all love the YouTube. I think it might be a better way to run through it with them.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:55 am  

heychadwick wrote:
    Security is crazy tight. I'd get fired for plugging in a thumb drive or even to charge my phone.

I just don't get that much time outside of work, to be honest. I'm married with kids.

Hey, that's life! One of the things that will be required for a project like this is a wiki (either a new one or preferably space on an existing one). If I can find an existing GH wiki that will let us work there, I'll host it there. A forum might work if we can get the format/display right and the search tools are okay. If not, something private with a password. It will just be summaries, maybe reviews, and a timeline, no copyrighted material.

Quote:
    I am thinking of trying to make YouTube videos on the basics of Greyhawk. I do run a campaign for my kid and his friends. The kids all love the YouTube. I think it might be a better way to run through it with them.

They do love YouTube, and even some of us oldies love it too! Don't underestimate how long videos can take to film, edit, upload etc., but it's a really gratifying product to make (and to hear one's own voice on the interwebz) and a fun way to get the info out there. Good luck with that.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:53 am  

My little research on the Yeomanry (and its LG incarnation) shows some main plotlines.

A) The Return of Asberdies.
    B) A giant earthquake in 592 CY (the Landstraad) that destroyed the town of Hardwick and opened a lot of ways into the Underdark.
    C) The ongoing secret war against the Scarlet Brotherhood and its plans to infiltrate and control the region.
    D) And a very subtle plotlione about the Yeomanry relations with Keoland and some tensions around Singleton (NE corner of the Yeomanry) and some shenanigans of the Silent Ones.

I got all this after reading the whole 8 years of regional adventures. Maybe someone who played in the region can dveelope more of it.

Just began to read Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, and my head already hurts!

Cronicas de Wandemere - My current Greyhawk campaign (in spanish)
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 am  

How about this: we have two dozen Meta-Region boards right here on the forum that have been collecting dust for ten years. Let's use those. It's easy. There's zero startup. No one needs any special accounts or privileges or new moderators or internet bills. Post summaries of each series in the appropriate forum, format the subject something like "LG Summary - KEO1 01-09" and an exciting keyword or two. Also bump this thread with a link so people that only skim the main board notice.

Let's not repeat the mistake of the legion of password-protected LG sites that vanished from the web as soon as their owners lost interest. Oerth Journal can't keep a site up, the main GH wiki has gone down twice... better to invest our efforts in the longest-lasting GH resource than reinvent the wheel. Canonfire has had some glitches lately, but it's stood the test of time.

I'm not a fan of video commentary. Reading someone's typed words is 100x faster and more pleasant than watching unedited youtube footage of some guy with a goatee pontificate in front in front of his man cave with four shrinkwrapped copies of every Planescape box.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 am  

Savnock wrote:

They do love YouTube, and even some of us oldies love it too! Don't underestimate how long videos can take to film, edit, upload etc., but it's a really gratifying product to make (and to hear one's own voice on the interwebz) and a fun way to get the info out there. Good luck with that.

I already do a popular podcast for X-wing and get to hear my voice as "internet famous". It's not as exciting as it might sound. :D

Yeah, the editing can be time consuming, especially if you aren't into it as much. Oh, to be in my teens or 20's with lots of time and no money.

vestcoat wrote:

I'm not a fan of video commentary. Reading someone's typed words is 100x faster and more pleasant than watching unedited youtube footage of some guy with a goatee pontificate in front in front of his man cave with four shrinkwrapped copies of every Planescape box.

I'm definitely not a fan of those videos. If I did anything, it would purely be with maps and pictures. No real person shown at all.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: