JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - How far is it in miles across the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    How far is it in miles across the Flanaess
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 am  
    How far is it in miles across the Flanaess

How many miles is it east to west and north to south across the Flanaess? How many times would it fit into the mainland 48 US states?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm  

There is am image floating around the internet that has the Oerik continent superimposed over a map of our Earth, I am ashamed to admit I didn’t save it to my computer or bookmark it. If I see it, I will post it up.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:07 pm  

And I post up on how I cannot find it and it pops right up on my Deviant Art feed... sigh.

The file is here:
    https://grimklok.deviantart.com/art/Oerth-and-the-Lands-beneath-the-Waves-389644754

As for your technical question, there is a Facebook Group run by Anna that probably has the answers you are looking for... There are nearly 1,500 members of it, and quite a few are well versed in the dimensions of planet Oerth and its continents...
    Flanaess Geographical Society

EDIT: Took out image, just too large to display here...

EDIT 2: Also, we have a Canonfire! FB Group if you are not already there... we would be happy to have you there.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanonFireAGreyhawkResource/
    GreySage

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:17 pm  

Read Gary Holian's Measuring Up the Oerth.

PSmedger wrote:
    So, the inset map of the Flanaess is 41.60 inches or 129.8 hexes wide. At a scale of 30 miles/hex along the 35 N parallel, that's a distance of 3893.76 miles (almost 4 thousand miles from the Sea Barons to the lands west of Ull!)

The width of the continental United States is 2,680 miles, so you could fit about one and a half continental United States into the Flanaess.

The Darlene map extends from about 15 to 55 degrees north latitude, so it's similar to the distance from the southernmost part of Mexico to southern Alaska.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:08 pm  

Thank you very much, you gave me the answer I was looking for.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 am  
    grimklok's map comparison

You know, it's **SO** interesting to me that this is a popular topic, lately ... I've seen variations on this in at least three different places this month.
    And wondrously, Grimklok's map always seems to be offered for sake of comparison.

About 3 years ago, I discovered his map on deviant art, as can be seen in the comments on the artwork on the website. I started sharing it around to see if anyone had ever seen it, and had a conversation or six with the artist, and we talked fellow art stuff quite a bit.
    He even sent me some of his source images and other versions of the map without backgrounds or color, or whatever.

Super useful stuff, and I really like that his map has become so popular in our community, and that we've found it so useful!
    Happy Idea
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Wed May 09, 2018 3:06 pm  

I cited Grimklok's map in this thread, but note that it lined Earth and Oerth up in a way that's wildly misleading in terms of latitude. I think it might be more confusing than helpful. I don't think Grimklok got the scale right anyway; the Flanaess doesn't look one and a half times the length of the US in that map. The Flanaess should be a few degrees lower and then stretched so that the equator splits Hepmonaland.
    Paladin

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:27 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    I cited Grimklok's map in this thread, but note that it lined Earth and Oerth up in a way that's wildly misleading in terms of latitude. I think it might be more confusing than helpful. I don't think Grimklok got the scale right anyway; the Flanaess doesn't look one and a half times the length of the US in that map. The Flanaess should be a few degrees lower and then stretched so that the equator splits Hepmonaland.

I agree with the Learned Sage on this. While it is interesting to see an overlay, it is more than a little off on latitude.

See Glossography p18 for comparison.

Still an interesting view though.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 am  

The Mediterranean Sea is about 4.5 times as wide as the Nyr Dyv (2,300 miles vs. 510 miles), so the scale on that map looks to be very close.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: