JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Forgotten Realms Gods in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Forgotten Realms Gods in Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 pm  
    Forgotten Realms Gods in Greyhawk

Which, if any FR gods would you consider adding to GH?

And if you did adapt some, how would you do it?

my thoughts:

1. Moander
    Some overlap with the demon princess Zuggtomy and the demon- prince Juiblex, but this may be complimentary. Or maybe not. He is cool, though. Playing up his ties with shambling mounds, tri flower fronds, yellow musk creepers, etc. would be the way to go.

2. Talos
    Some overlap with existing Greyhawk gods but he does bring together several fun themes in one figure. I like his name, his look, and his cult. I’m tempted…
    His 'evil genie' aspect could work with the Baklunish.
    GreySage

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:06 am  

I think you edited this and removed the references to the elemental rulers (Akadi, Grumbar, Istishia, Kossuth), who I think are all appropriate for Greyhawk (since Oerth touches the elemental planes just as Toril does). The Baklunish, especially, I can see as cultists of the elemental gods.

The other Forgotten Realms deity I think is particularly appropriate for Oerth is Gargauth, the exiled archdevil who I think has a finger in the pies of many worlds. I assume he made a pact with Keraptis and is responsible for the curse that destroyed Tostenhca/Skrellingshald. A curse associated with gold is totally his M.O., and both Keraptis and Tostenhca have diabolic associations (White Plume Mountain mentions reports of "demonic possessions" during Keraptis's reign while Tostenhca has a kobold with a ring that summons devils).

Loviatar (who is a Finnish goddess originally) got a canon mention in From the Ashes as the probable deity behind the Hanging Glacier of Alisedran.

Tiamat and Lolth are also prominent in the Realms, but known on Oerth.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:38 pm  

We added Talos (call him the Stormlord), Red Knight, Eilistraee, and Sharess. This filled a few holes and has worked well. Each of the listed above have their own Specialty Priest class with spells and abilities.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    I think you edited this and removed the references to the elemental rulers (Akadi, Grumbar, Istishia, Kossuth), who I think are all appropriate for Greyhawk (since Oerth touches the elemental planes just as Toril does). The Baklunish, especially, I can see as cultists of the elemental gods.

The other Forgotten Realms deity I think is particularly appropriate for Oerth is Gargauth, the exiled archdevil who I think has a finger in the pies of many worlds. I assume he made a pact with Keraptis and is responsible for the curse that destroyed Tostenhca/Skrellingshald. A curse associated with gold is totally his M.O., and both Keraptis and Tostenhca have diabolic associations (White Plume Mountain mentions reports of "demonic possessions" during Keraptis's reign while Tostenhca has a kobold with a ring that summons devils).

Loviatar (who is a Finnish goddess originally) got a canon mention in From the Ashes as the probable deity behind the Hanging Glacier of Alisedran.

Tiamat and Lolth are also prominent in the Realms, but known on Oerth.

I did edit, though perhaps I shouldn't have done so.

I'd say Tiamat and Lloth are really GH powers prominent in FR. That is, while Tiamat has a mythological antecedent, she's a made-up Gygaxian monster ruler from (I presume) the Greyhawk Campaign Gygax ran.
    Lolth and the Drow are Gygaxian creations.

Instead of Loviatar, I'd use Scarhossar (sp?) , Olidammara's wicked sister from the d20 Book of Vile Darkness.

Garguath does seem like a good fit. Do you recall the Dragon Magazine with the dwarves and the creepy juggler? That's Gargauth, isn't it?

I had written that cavemen might worship Grumbar. Not sure that really adds much. I suppose it depends on the alignment of the cavemen.

EDIT

https://www.rpg.net/pictures/show-pic.phtml?picid=11620

I checked the artist's note/description. It's 'Gargoth' in a disguise.
    That is the spelling of another name of Gargauth. Dragon #91 describes the devil Gargoth. Ed Greenwood article.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gargauth
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:45 am  

The reversal of this thought came to mind recently; I had contemplated adding Fortubo, the former Suel-turned-Dwarven deity to the general Dwarven pantheon that could be used throughout the FORGOTTEN REALMS®, since I believe his enemies, the derro, can also be found across Faerūn (which could lead to a cross-planar adventure where some Realms' adventurers discover the origin of the derro on Oerth).
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:18 am  

I have thought about Umberlee (evil sea goddess in the Faerūnian pantheon) in conjunction with a water focused campaign for years now. She is most often worshiped by sailors or people traveling by sea, out of fear of her destructive powers. She controls the harshness of the sea while reveling in her own power and could be well suited to pirates or other seafaring marauders.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: