Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - 5e conversion of Barrier Peaks - comments encouraged
5e conversion of Barrier Peaks - comments encouraged

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: 5e conversion of Barrier Peaks - comments encouraged Reply with quote

I am converting Barrier Peaks for a 5e game run over Roll20.

I have looked at Micheal Mifsud's "Expedition to the Parrier Peaks Conversion Notes",

as well as

Todd Bergman's "Classic Adventure Module Conversion - Expedition to the Barrier Peaks"

They are certainly useful, but neither of them are completely suitable for my purposes.

I will be posting as I go - comments encouraged.
My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Arrival (original) Reply with quote

Arrival
Show Handout: Outside the Cave (was player handout 3)
Load General Outdoor Map
Load Audio File Mountain Pass
Begin tracking time.

Quote:
The rocky mountainside is before you, with stunted vegetation clinging wherever it can. At first glance, it is just like any mountainside you have seen for days. A moment’s pause, however, reveals more. Here and there among the natural rocks, from tiny pebbles to huge slabs as large as city walls, is worked stone, carved stone, sections large and small that are perfectly flat, not cracked or angled. Someone - dwarves? stone giants? - has worked sections of the mountain, shaping them and giving them form. These sections go from ground level to over three hundred feet up the side of the mountain. Who can say what lies within - a fortress? A subterranean city?

Perception check on general area 10+ wrote:

Careful inspection reveals no arrow slits, no windows, no chimneys - but there are two doors! The larger of the two is at ground level and can easily be approached on foot. It is some fifteen feet across and just as high, with the area of worked stone wall beyond it adding another five or ten feet on each side. The door is closed, with the door itself of stone identical to the wall in which it sits.

Above, some 200 feet up the side of the cliff face, is a smaller door, perhaps a third the size of the lower one. That door is open, and the darkness beyond the open doorway suggests that it leads deeper into the mountain. Is this the “unoerthly cave”? No path or roadway leads to it. It looks like a scrabble up the cliff face would allow access to it, but it will not be easy - there are several sheer surfaces that will need to be climbed.

Survival check (advantage mountains) specifically looking for tracks 10+ wrote:

The tracks about are only those typical for the mountains - goats, the occasional mountain lion or bear spoor. None are particular fresh. None are humanoid.

Investigation of lower door, Check 10+ wrote:

The lower door appears to be without handle, hinges, or any other mechanism of opening. It is recessed several inches back from the wall itself, but fits in its frame so flush that not even a paper-thin crack is present anywhere around the margin.

But here is something odd - touching the door, and the wall, the dust comes away - there is not stone beneath, but something else! Vigorous rubbing reveals that it is metal underneath, some kind of hard, gray metal like iron or steel and yet not recognizable. Both the door and wall are made of this.

Further, if this is not carved...it is beneath the mountain’s stone! Indeed, you can shift a few smaller rocks and find more of the metal wall underneath. Is it possible that the entire section you are seeing is one huge metal wall, though now mostly buried under rock - from a landslide, or an earthquake, or deliberate design? If just the parts you see are metal, it is as much metal as any of you have ever seen in one place. If the whole side of the mountain is metal...it is more metal than you knew existed in the world.

Add to player journals "wall metal" handout.

To climb up to the upper cave safely will require a DC15 survival roll.
Non-Proficiency, or proficiency but not in Mountains, gives disadvantage.
Use of rope, hammer, and pitons allows advantage.
Two people working together allows +5 to help.

Once a route has been set with rope, others may substitute an acrobatics or athletics check in place of survival.

Failure on the Survival (acrobatics, athletics) check results in a fall and 20 points of bludgeoning damage, reduced to 10 with a DC15 Dexterity save. Critical failure on either the Survival check or Dexterity save results in 40 points of bludgeoning damage.

As people arrive outside of cave, move them onto Map Unoerthly Level 1
My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI

Last edited by Kirt on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A few notes on checks.

Survival checks are about finding food and water, finding one's way/tracking, and knowing about natural hazards and how to deal with/avoid them. They have nothing to do with any actual climbing, other than perhaps knowing that, if you climb an icy mountain, you should use pitons and crampons and rope up so as not to die when doing the actual climbing. The actual climbing though would be an Athletics check. Using a rope to climb would be a great advantage Wink, and so using a rope should probably just give Advantage to further climbers, not allow other characters to use an unrelated skill like Acrobatics to do something they shouldn't be good at in the first place. As to two characters up the mountain already helping out, their Strength stats could allow them to simply haul a character up without needing to roll, based on their their wight limit. This isn't Conan lifting up a giant stone door or anything. Players have to pick and choose character skills for a reason. If they don't pick a particular skill, it isn't that character's forte, so they may need others to help them (which is normal). Still, simply getting into the place shouldn't be a difficult task, so if everyone fails then you might instead just say, "You exhaust yourself spending the day trying to climb up to the doorway. Perhaps tomorrow you will have better luck." (roll random encounters). :evilgrin:

"Investigating" the lower door seems a lot like what a rogue would do when "investigating" a chest for taps, which is a Perception check. Granted, these two skills would seems to bleed into one another just a bit: one is about noticing something and knowing its relevance due to one's background (i.e. a rogue doesn't need an Investigation roll to deduce what the tripwire they noticed is for); the other is about deducing the relevance of what has already been noticed ("The victim was killed with iocaine powder. The herbalist wouldn't know of such things, but the alchemist would! Dun-dun DUNNN!"). Besides, based on the text, it doesn't seem like Investigation would do much of anything other than lead to a conclusion of, "That's a lot of metal I noticed!" As a rule of thumb, Investigation has to do with information gathering, research, and deductive reasoning, while Perception has to do with noticing things. I would therefore make the door bit a Perception check, as no real investigating is going on other than moving rocks to reveal more metal; without any epiphany occurring.

Otherwise, it all looks good.
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cebrion wrote:
Quote:

Survival checks are about...knowing about natural hazards and how to deal with/avoid them. They have nothing to do with any actual climbing. The actual climbing though would be an Athletics check. Using a rope to climb would be a great advantage Wink, and so using a rope should probably just give Advantage to further climbers, not allow other characters to use an unrelated skill like Acrobatics to do something they shouldn't be good at in the first place.

I agree with your sentiment here, and think perhaps most of this is just about conceptualizing the set-up, and me being more explicit.

The initial climb up to the cave is not about strength - it's not that far up. It is about finding a safe route, knowing which rocks will support weight and which will shift, plotting in advance a path that will allow a safe ascent. Thus it is very much a Wisdom-based Survival check, as choosing the route is based on avoiding natural hazards, and not what you call "actual climbing".

Once a line is set and a character simply has to physically haul himself up the rope without having to choose a safe route, then it becomes "actual climbing" with a Strength-based Athletics check.

My own campaign has a low-strength monk, and I often allow her to take an Acrobatics check rather than an Athletics check, if I feel that there are both Strength and Dexterity based solutions to the same problem. For example, climbing the rope with Athletics would be a power-based climb like a gym rope climb, all upper-body strength. Climbing with Acrobatics would be more like an actual rock-climber - reaching from ledge to ledge, balancing, using the rock face itself to support their weight rather than dangling from the rope.

Cebrion wrote:
Still, simply getting into the place shouldn't be a difficult task, so if everyone fails then you might instead just say, "You exhaust yourself spending the day trying to climb up to the doorway. Perhaps tomorrow you will have better luck." (roll random encounters). :evilgrin:

I agree that simply getting to the upper cave shouldn't be difficult. Although I set the initial DC at 15 (Medium), I expect that most parties venturing into the mountains will have at least one character with Survival (Mountains) and will have brought mountaineering supplies. A DC15 check with advantage is not that hard. For those parties not so equipped, at the level indicated for Barrier Peaks, they ought to have access to some type of magic option such as levitation, flight, spider climb, rope trick, etc.

However, upon reflecting on your comments, I think I should drop the subsequent climbing check to DC 10 or 12. Once the rope is set, that should be easier than charting the initial route.

Cebrion wrote:
As to two characters up the mountain already helping out, their Strength stats could allow them to simply haul a character up without needing to roll, based on their their wight limit.

For the two people working together, that was meant for the initial route selection, as in two climbers, both with Survival (Mountain), setting the route together - literally under the rule for "working together", but yielding a +5 because they presumably already have advantage from using mountaineering gear.

I hadn't considered two strong characters simply hauling others up the rope once they are at the cave entrance, but I agree once they are in position that can just be assumed without rolling.

Cebrion wrote:
As a rule of thumb, Investigation has to do with information gathering, research, and deductive reasoning, while Perception has to do with noticing things. I would therefore make the door bit a Perception check, as no real investigating is going on

I parse Investigation vs. Perception as follows: When a player asks "What do I see?" or "Do I notice anything out of the ordinary?" that is a Perception Check. When a player actually tells me what they are looking for, that is an Investigation check. For example, I will allow a high Perception check to note the presence of a secret door, even if the player was not specifically looking for one. But once the door is noted, it will likely be an Investigation check to find the means to open it, and only if the player states that is what they are trying to do.

With respect to the door, I should have made it more clear that the Investigation roll was when a player asked whether it could be opened. I was assuming that they would discover the metal in the course of Investigating it.
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Arrival (revised) Reply with quote

ARRIVAL
Show Handout: Outside the Cave (was player handout 3)
Load General Outdoor Map
Load Audio File Mountain Pass
Begin tracking time.

The rocky mountainside is before you, with stunted vegetation clinging wherever it can. At first glance, it is just like any mountainside you have seen for days. A moment’s pause, however, reveals more. Here and there among the natural rocks, from tiny pebbles to huge slabs as large as city walls, is worked stone, carved stone, sections large and small that are perfectly flat and nearly vertical, not cracked or angled. Someone - dwarves? stone giants? - has worked sections of the mountain, shaping them and giving them form. These sections go from ground level to over three hundred feet up the side of the mountain. Who can say what lies within - a fortress? A subterranean city?

Perception check on general area at 10+ wrote:

Careful inspection reveals no arrow slits, no windows, no chimneys - but there are two doors! The larger of the two is at ground level and can easily be approached on foot. It is some fifteen feet across and just as high, with the area of worked stone wall beyond it adding another five or ten feet on each side. The door is closed, with the door itself of stone identical to the wall in which it sits.

Above, some 200 feet up the side of the cliff face, is a smaller door, perhaps a third the size of the lower one. That door is open, and the darkness beyond the open doorway suggests that it leads deeper into the mountain. Is this the “unoerthly cave”? No path or roadway leads to it. It looks like a scrabble up the cliff face would allow access to it, but there are several sheer surfaces that will need to be climbed.

Survival check (advantage mountains) specifically looking for tracks 10+ wrote:
The tracks about are only those typical for the mountains - goats, the occasional mountain lion or bear spoor. None are particularly fresh. None are humanoid.

Perception check on lower door, 10+ wrote:

Here is something odd - touching the door, and the wall, the dust comes away - there is not stone beneath, but something else! Vigorous rubbing reveals that it is metal, some kind of hard, gray metal like iron or steel and yet not recognizable. Both the door and wall are made of this.

Further, if this is not carved...it is beneath the mountain’s stone! Indeed, you can shift a few smaller rocks and find more of the metal wall underneath. Is it possible that the entire section you are seeing is one huge metal wall, though now mostly buried under rock - from a landslide, or an earthquake, or deliberate design? If just the parts you see are metal, it is as much metal as any of you have ever seen in one place. If the whole side of the mountain underneath the rock debris is metal...it is more metal than you knew existed in the world.

Add to player journals "wall metal" handout.

Investigation Check directed at opening the lower door, 10+ wrote:

The lower door appears to be without handles, hinges, or any other mechanism of opening. It is recessed several inches back from the wall itself, but fits into its frame so flush that not even a paper-thin crack is present anywhere around the margin.

The rocks of the mountainside that cover the wall of the ship are scree that has fallen from above, and none are firmly in place, although a few are now joined to each other via plant roots. Characters who begin to climb up the mountainside can be told that they can feel large rocks shifting under their weight and small ones being dislodged and tumbling down. They should now surmise that climbing to the upper cave will be a treacherous affair, requiring careful selection of a route that will safely support the characters' weight.

The climb itself is relatively easy, requiring a DC 10 Athletics check, with advantage if the character is using a previously secured rope, or a hammer and pitons as they go. Failure on this Strength check just means the character cannot progress further and must climb back down for a short rest. The character will only fall on a critical failure, resulting in 10 points of bludgeoning damage.

However, if a safe route is not found before climbing, on any ascent (whether successful or not) the lead character will cause a rockslide, endangering him or herself and anyone underneath, including those at the base of the slope whom the DM deems sufficiently close. Characters may attempt to avoid the slide with a DC 15 Dexterity save, with advantage if they have a secured rope, spider climb, or Acrobatics proficiency, with disadvantage if they are encumbered, and with automatic failure if they are heavily unencumbered. A character that succeeds on this check may continue climbing without further incident. Failure to avoid the rockslide results in 20 points of bludgeoning damage, or 40 points on a critical fail.

To find a safe and stable route to the upper cave will require a DC15 survival roll. Characters not proficient in Survival, or whose Proficiency is not in Mountains, will be at disadvantage.

Use of rope, hammer, and pitons allows advantage on the Survival check.

Two people working together, both proficient, allows +5 to the Survival check of the better of the two.

The ability to fly, levitate, or spider climb while looking for a safe route, will allow anyone with Survival (Mountains) to automatically find one, and will give advantage to anyone without this proficiency.

Characters may think to try a route on the metal wall only, since this cannot shift and slide under them. As it turns out, this is too hard for pitons to be hammered in, but someone with spiderclimb can automatically ascend safely there, even without a Survival proficiency.

If at least two characters have attained the cave entrance, they may haul others up with rope tied about them with no Strength check required, and although such a character may still cause a rockslide they will not be affected by it.

As people arrive outside of the cave, move them onto Map Unoerthly Level 1

Last edited by Kirt on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am; edited 6 times in total
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The initial climb up to the cave is not about strength - it's not that far up. It is about finding a safe route, knowing which rocks will support weight and which will shift, plotting in advance a path that will allow a safe ascent. Thus it is very much a Wisdom-based Survival check, as choosing the route is based on avoiding natural hazards, and not what you call "actual climbing".

You are reading way too much into the Survival skill. A Survival [Mountains] check would inform characters that some areas are of loose shale, and what signs point to a route being particularly dangerous (which might require further checks; even at disadvantage), but more importantly what route would be the safest. The actual climbing requires an Athletics [Climb] check - the characters just never have to deal with what could have been a more dangerous route because the character with Survival [Mountains] skill has forewarned them, and so they avoid the hazard altogether. The example of quicksand under Survival does not mean that the quicksand is avoided altogether, as in characters are able to circumvent the quicksand due to a Survival check, but that they are forewarned of the perils of quicksand and how to proceed carefully so as to not stumble blindly into it. If and when they do find some quicksand though, and it bars their path, they will then need to use magic or some other skill to bypass it (climbing trees to swing over it by ropes would be Athletics, and using branches like uneven bars and balancing while moving along branches would be Acrobatics).

A mountainside is not a natural hazard to be avoided. It is a natural obstacle to be traversed, just as is a river, a chasm, etc. Patches of loose rock on a mountainside are a natural hazard. Icy patches on a mountainside are a natural hazard. Rapids, undertows, and riptides are natural hazards. Quicksand is a natural hazard. A Survival check can bypass being ignorant of these things, and so then find a safer route, but the obstacles still need to be climbed, swam, or crossed, meaning an Athletics check (most of the time). A successful Survival check just means that characters aren't likely to be making their Athletics checks at a Disadvantage in most cases, and maybe even will be rolling at Advantage and/or with a bonus, but they don't get to avoid the task of overcoming the obstacle altogether though.

"It looks like a scrabble up the cliff face would allow access to it, but it will not be easy - there are several sheer surfaces that will need to be climbed."

A Survival [Mountains] check is what points out the above information. The Athletics [Climb] check is what actually gets the task done, and is what the above literally says needs to be done. I would think that "...will need to be climbed." could not be any clearer, short distance or no.

Survival isn't some sort of crazy climb, fly, walk-on-water, do whatever skill. The Survival skill can help make life easier for characters, but it doesn't solve the problem of obstacles. You empower this skill to the level you are, and you utterly denigrate the other skills. You'll have Rangers or Rogues with Survival [Cities], telling you to shove it when you ask them to make any Athletics [Climb/Jump/Swim] or Stealth check when it comes to climbing up to rooftops, jumping gaps between roofs/balconies/whatever, swimming the sewers/cisterns or blending in with crowd to avoid capture by the city guard, because doing so is just "avoiding the natural hazards" of their chosen terrain.

Sorry for the fixation, but this one just bugs me. Laughing Survival, as a single skill, already manages to cover a ton of stuff. There is no need to make it do more. I hope somebody else weighs in, but keep it coming. I'll keep it shorter next time.

On to another topic...

Due to all of the unknowns in this adventure, Investigation will no doubt be an often used skill, but if it isn't used well...

"The wizard points the oddly shaped metal device at the paladin, and presses the golden stud. A ray shoots out...[DM rolls some dice]...the paladin glows... and then disappears! Magic!"

[DM hands paladin's player a secret note.]

THE PALADIN HAS BEEN VAPORIZED, BUT THERE IS
THE ADDED CONSOLATION THAT YOU WILL BE
CONTROLLING THE DEATHBOTS SHOWING UP IN
RESPONSE TO THIS UNAUTHORIZED WEAPON USE. Evil Grin

Also, you will want to reference Volo's Guide to Monsters. Here is a link to the table of contents/*index of monster stat blocks* (if you don't have the book already): http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volos_TOC.pdf

Some critter stats in there will be useful.

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cebrion wrote:
A Survival [Mountains] check would inform characters that some areas are of loose shale, and what signs point to a route being particularly dangerous (which might require further checks; even at disadvantage), but more importantly what route would be the safest. The actual climbing requires an Athletics [Climb] check - the characters just never have to deal with what could have been a more dangerous route because the character with Survival [Mountains] skill has forewarned them, and so they avoid the hazard altogether.

Upon some reflection, I think I understand what you are getting at, and agree that the Survival check for discovering a safe route should not be allowed to replace the Athletics check for making the climb.

I have revised my entry above reflecting this.

Also, thanks or the suggestion about Volo's guide.
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: The Open Door (original) Reply with quote

The Open Door
The cave mouth opens into a finished room, 8 feet deep, 20 feet wide, and 10 feet high. The far wall has a vertical line from floor to ceiling down its center. All of the surfaces - floor, walls, ceiling - are of the same strange wall metal as outside, completely featureless and flat. A heavy layer of dust and dirt is on the floor, but there are no tracks apparent.

When the last PC enters the cave, the door at the far end slides silently open, revealing a much larger space beyond.

While you are distracted by reacting to the opening inner door, the door to the outside has closed silently but firmly. You are now sealed inside. Examining the closed door behind you, now more like a wall, you find that it has the slightest degree of curvature, as if it were the inside of a large circle.

Load Audio File The Hidden Core

The deeper interior of the cave is a large, dark chamber. It is sixty by sixty and has three tunnels out; across from you, to the right, and to the left, all aligned at precise angles. Down the tunnel in front of you there are doorways visible; you cannot see down the other tunnels from your current location. In the center of the chamber there is an odd circular tube or support column that runs from floor to ceiling. While most of the floor of the cave is quite flat and solid, there appears to be textured walkways running from the tunnels to the tube.

Show handout: Vertical Tube
Begin making wandering monster checks

Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Unoerthly Materials Handouts Reply with quote

WALL METAL HANDOUT

Description and Notes
This is a smooth, dull gray metal, cool to the touch. It is at least as hard as iron or steel. It is as smooth as if it was cast rather than hammer-forged, although the sheets would imply a mold far larger than a forge-building, for no seams or joins are visible across vast expanses. The doors, for example, appear to be single pieces.

DM Notes
The metal is a space-age alloy with no Earth analog.

Experimentation may find that the metal is as light as aluminum but harder than steel and will not be damaged or even scratched by normal weapons or pitons.

It is non-conductive of electricity but rapidly conducts and dissipates heat and has a melting temperature above anything the PC's have access to. Use of fireball-intensity heat near it will not damage it, but a much larger area than the fireball itself will feel warm to the touch for several minutes afterword.

Magic metal weapons will affect interior walls approximately as a normal piece of iron would be affected by a normal weapon (scratches and dents, perhaps a small hole from something like a pick), but the energy fields that protect the exterior hull and the structural support framework between decks will prevent them from being harmed by even the most powerful magic weapons, or magic, including disintegrate.

CAVE HORN HANDOUT

Description and Notes
This material is lighter than wood but hard and rigid, like horn. It shows no sign of having been carved - in fact, it looks more like it has been cast in a mold of exceptional detail and precision. It is reasonably easy to scratch, and in a few places there are scratches and scuff marks.

Pieces that are large or thick are quite rigid, with just a trace of flex. Pieces that are small or thin, however, bend easily but return to their original form. If pushed too hard, they will break rather than bending permanently.

DM Notes
The plastic aboard the ship is similar in physical properties to Earth plastics and is typically rigid, although that used to insulate wiring, for example, is flexible. Chemically, it contains fewer hormone mimics and carcinogenic substances than Earth plastics, especially when melted (it will melt rather than burn at any temperature the PC’s can create). A small plastic item used as an improvised weapon (club) will do d3 bludgeoning damage, but will break if it does 3 or more (including strength bonus). A large plastic item used as a club will do d6 damage, but will break into two or more small items if it does 4 or more (including strength bonus).

CAVE SPONGE HANDOUT

Description and Notes
Cave sponge appears to be full of tiny holes, like a sea sponge but much smaller and more regular. It compresses easily under pressure, but springs back almost immediately.

DM’s notes:
The foam-plastic aboard the ship is similar in physical properties to Earth foam-plastic, although the “air” bubbles in it are actually pure helium, which means that the foam is lighter. Chemically the plastic itself contains fewer hormone mimics and carcinogenic substances than Earth plastics, especially when melted (it will melt rather than burn at any temperature the PC’s can create). A section of foam large enough to use as a sleeping pad will be essentially weightless, but will have the encumbrance bulk of half a sleeping roll. If used as, inside, or under a sleeping roll, it will give advantage on any roll to “get rest” or to resist cold temperatures coming from the ground (or air, if clever PC’s make a double layer).

Last edited by Kirt on Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Lighting Notes for Roll20 Reply with quote

Lighting Notes for a Roll20 map

Lightly screened areas have bright light
Set room lights to 120 feet, no dim, all players see, and place on map layer

Darkly screened areas have dim light
Set hall and room lights to 60 feet, Dim at -5, all players see, and place on map layer

Unscreened areas have on/off light
Set room lights to 120 feet, no dim, all players see off, placed on token layer, all players have access, instruct players that they can toggle the all players see on
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Level I Wandering Encounter Tables and Reactions Reply with quote

Level 1, South, Wandering Monster (1 in 12 chance per ten minutes - roll d6)
1, 2. Vegepygmies (d8+8 vegepygmies with d4+1 thornies)
3. Lurker Above (1)
4. Displacer beasts (d2+1)
5. Worker robot (1)
6. Police Robot (1)

Level 1, North, Wandering Monster (1 in 12 per ten minutes)
1, 2. Vegepypygmies (2d6+12)
3. Shadows (d4+1)
4. Will-o’-wisps (d2)
5. Worker robot (1)
6. Police Robot (1)

Wandering Encounter Reactions
Displacer beasts
The beasts are always hungry, but they are smart enough to know when they are outmatched. They will not attack the PCs unless they outnumber them. If allowed, however, they will trail the PCs and wait until they are otherwise engaged with a strong foe. Then, they will attempt to drag off an unconscious combatant (on either side, so long as it is organic).

Lurker Above
A “wandering” lurker should be placed at the ceiling of the nearest intersection if the party is moving. If the party is stationary inside a room when the lurker is encountered, it will set up on the ceiling just outside the room. If the party is attempting to hide in a room, note that the lurker’s blindsight will go through closed doors; PC’s deliberately trying not to move are allowed a Stealth roll, otherwise they will be automatically detected if within range.

Robot, Police
Note: There is a 25% chance this robot has lost its life preservation programming - hereafter
referred to as a lethal robot.

Note: Police robots will be able to open all doors through orange, and each has a 50% chance
of being able to open red doors as well.

A randomly encountered police robot will approach the party, activate its language translator and then just follow them, listening to them for ten minutes. If the robot is still present and has not been attacked after ten minutes, it will hail the PC’s in whatever language they have been most using in its presence, likely Common.

“Unrecognized personal - please present identification cards”

If no card is presented after a further two repetitions of this, it will say:

“Unrecognized personal - follow me to processing center”

and move away for one round.

If characters follow, it will take them to police headquarters, and summon a human crew to make a decision. The crew will, of course, not come. It will say:

“Unrecognized personal - a processing team has been notified - remain here until their arrival.”

The characters are free to wander about the HQ room itself indefinitely, but not to leave.

If characters do not follow, or if they attempt to leave HQ, it (all) will say

“Unrecognized personal - you are being detained - do not resist”

and will then enter non-lethal combat. (Note that lethal robots will say instead

“Unrecognized personal - prepare to be terminated”

before entering lethal combat.

If combat is initiated, by characters or robots, and all characters are incapacitated, normal robots will take as many PCs as they can (using two hands plus tractor beam) to the police HQ, confiscate anything that was used to attack it, and put them in cells. It will then return for others.

If at <90 hp and at least three characters are down, it will take them, flee to HQ, and not return

If at <60 hp and at least two characters are down, it will take them and flee to HQ, and not return

If at <30 hp and at least one character is down, it will take him/her and flee to HQ, and not return

Note that lethal robots will not flee. Rather, when at 30 hp or less, they will attack random incapacitated creatures (whether unconscious, restrained, or dead) in an effort to cause as many deaths as possible.

If, when asked to present identification cards, characters show any of the door cards, the robot will take one round to scan each card and each character presenting one, and then say:

“Identification card does not match personal biometrics - you are being detained - do not resist”

and then enter non-lethal combat against only those characters who presented cards. A lethal robot in this case will employ non-lethal means until it is attacked. If all of the characters who presented cards are incapacitated, it will take them and return to HQ regardless of hp, ignoring (for the moment) those who did not present cards.

A police robot which has fled to the police HQ will dispatch all robots found there but one to the location of any characters remaining. For the remainder of the adventure, add 1 to all wandering monster rolls on Level I. This is cumulative for each robot forced to flee.

A robot which has successfully translated the character’s language and which has subsequently returned to police HQ will download the data into the police mainframe. All police robots in HQ and all which pass through HQ will then upload the information. There is a cumulative 5% chance per hour after this that police robots encountered as wandering monsters will have character language capability.

Robot, Worker
The worker robot will ignore the party unless attacked, in which case it will move away at maximum speed, and take the most direct route away from the PCs but toward the police HQ. If the PCs pursue it that far, all of the police robots at the station will attack.

If the worker robot is ignored or followed by the party, it will move in a random direction until it encounters structural damage to the ship (which it will assess and begin repair) or a non-functioning robot, which it will bring back to the robot repair in V-5 (or I-3b if a police robot).

Shadows
Shadows will flee from PCs if detected but may skulk and follow a party that does not detect them. They will only attack if they encounter a solitary character - although this could include a single character on watch while others sleep. They cannot pass through sealed (airtight) doors.

Vegepygmies, Southern
If the party is between the ‘pygmies and their home, they will seek the swiftest way around a way around the party to return to their home and warn their companions,

If the ‘pygmies are between the party and their home, they will retreat to their home.

Vegepygmies, Northern
If the party is between the ‘pygmies and their home, they will approach aggressively. If the party gives way, they will return directly home. If not, they will attack. This includes parties discovered to be taking refuge in rooms they can access with a jet card, which one of them will carry. Note that their blindsight will go through closed doors; PC’s deliberately trying not to move are allowed a Stealth roll, otherwise they will be automatically detected if within range.

If the pygmies are between the party and their home, they will stand their ground, and attack only if the party attempts to get by them.

In either case, they will retreat (toward their home if possible) if a quarter of them have been slain.

They will not pursue a party retreating away from their home.

For the following numbers of vegepygmies encountered randomly, of either group, the respective number of Sporriors, Sprouts, Saplings, and Champignions is as follows:

9 = 5, 2, 1, 1
10 = 5, 3, 1, 1
11 = 5, 3, 2, 1
12 = 6, 3, 2, 1
13 = 7, 3, 2, 1
14 = 7, 4, 2, 1
15 = 8, 4, 2, 1
16 = 8, 4, 2, 2
17 = 8, 4, 3, 2
18 = 9, 4, 3, 2
19 = 9, 5, 3, 2
20 - 10, 5, 3, 2
21 = 11, 5, 3, 2
22 = 11, 6, 3, 2
23 = 12, 6, 3, 2
24 = 12, 6, 4, 2

Will-o’-wisps
Will-o’-wisps will attempt to lure characters into the closest radiation area.
My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI

Last edited by Kirt on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: 1 HD Vegepygmy -> Sporrior Reply with quote

1E Stats for 1 HD Vegepygmy:
AC4 HD1 Hp 5 At. 1 Dam. 1-3 (dart) SD 1 damage from piercing, immune to electricity, charm, 50% invisible when environment matches coloration

5E Stats for Sporrior
Tiny Plant (2' high), unaligned

AC 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 16 (3d4+9)
Speed 40 ft

Str 4 (-3)
Dex 16 (+3)
Con 16 (+3)
Int 6 (-2)
Wis 8 (-1)
Cha 8 (-1)

Skills: Stealth +10 in matching environment
Damage Resistances: Magical Piercing
Damage Immunities: Non-Magical Piercing, Electricity
Condition Immunities: blinded*, charmed**, exhaustion
Senses: Blindsight 40 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 9
Languages: Vocalized cries, chest slappings, thumpings
Challenge: 1/2

*Vegepygmy darkvision may be blinded, but not their blindsight.
**Not immune to charms that specifically target plants.

Pack Tactics: The vegepygmy sporrior has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the vegepygmy's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Dart Melee weapon attack (finesse): +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 5 points (d6+3) piercing damage.

Dart Missile weapon attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60, one target.
Hit: 5 points (d6+3) piercing damage.

When vegepygmies first emerge they are lithe, supple, and resilient sporriors. These follow larger saplings and champignions into battle, attacking with missile fire. They will preferentially target foes engaged with their champignions so as to have advantage. If possible, they will use their full movement to appear from cover, attack, and return to cover.

Their darts resemble simple barbed sticks. They grow these in their bodies, slowly lignifying them, and keep a collection of previously grown ones on hand.
My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI

Last edited by Kirt on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:41 am; edited 4 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: 2HD Vegepygmy Reply with quote

1E Stats for 2 HD Vegepygmy:
AC4 HD2 Hp 11 At. 1 Dam. 1-6 (javelin) SD 1 damage from piercing, immune to electricity, charm, 50% invisible when environment matches coloration

5E Stats for Sprout
Tiny Plant (2.5' high), unaligned

AC 16 (natural armor)
Hit Points 22 (4d4+12)
Speed 35 ft

Str 5 (-3)
Dex 15 (+2)
Con 17 (+3)
Int 7 (-2)
Wis 9 (-1)
Cha 9 (-1)

Skills: Stealth +8 in matching environment
Senses: Blindsight 40 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 9
Challenge: 1

Pack Tactics: The vegepygmy sprout has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the vegepygmy's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Javelin Melee weapon attack (finesse): +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 7 points (2d4+2) piercing damage.

Javelin Missile weapon attack: +4 to hit, range 30/60, one target.
Hit: 7 points (2d4+2) piercing damage.

Vegepygmy Sporriors that have accumulated sufficient resources, size, age, and experience eventually become Sprouts. These are superior to sporriors in most ways, being larger, stronger, tougher, smarter, etc. However, the increased lignification that makes them more resistant to damage also makes them slower and less dexterous. They still follow larger saplings and champignions into battle, attacking with missile fire. They will preferentially target foes engaged with their champignions so as to have advantage. If possible, they will use their full movement to appear from cover, attack, and return to cover.

Their javelins resemble simple sticks, but they are longer and more wickedly barbed than those of sporriors. They grow these in their bodies, slowly lignifying them, and keep a collection of previously grown ones on hand.

Last edited by Kirt on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2HD Vegepygmy Reply with quote

1E Stats for 3 HD Vegepygmy:
AC4 HD3 Hp 17 At. 1 Dam. 1-6 (club) SD 1 damage from piercing, immune to electricity, charm, 50% invisible when environment matches coloration

5E Stats for Sapling
Small Plant (3' high), unaligned

AC 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (4d6+16)
Speed 30 ft

Str 6 (-2)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 18 (+4)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 10 (0)
Cha 10 (0)

Skills: Stealth +6 in matching environment
Senses: Blindsight 40 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 10

Distract: The vegepygmy sapling forces any hostile creature within range of its attack to be at disadvantage when attacking any opponent except itself.

ACTIONS
Club Melee weapon attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 3 points (d10-2) bludgeoning damage.

All Vegepygmy Sprouts that have accumulated sufficient resources, size, age, and experience eventually become Saplings. These are awkward, as their increased lignification has made them more resistant to damage, but also slower and less dexterous. No longer able to use missile weapons, they strike with sticks that they have grown to the heft of clubs. Since they are not very strong, these do little damage, but they do serve to pin down opponents so that the more agile Sprouts and Sporriors can attack them with thrown sticks.

Last edited by Kirt on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: 5E stats for 4HD Vegepygmy Reply with quote

1E Stats for 4 HD Vegepygmy:
AC4 HD4 Hp 24 At. 1 Dam. 2-7 (mace) SD 1 damage from piercing, immune to electricity, charm, 50% invisible when environment matches coloration

5E Stats for Champignions
Small Plant (3.5' high), unaligned

AC 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 37 (5d6+20)
Speed 25 ft

Str 7 (-2)
Dex 13 (+1)
Con 19 (+4)
Int 9 (-1)
Wis 11 (0)
Cha 11 (0)

Skills: Stealth +4 in matching environment
Senses: Blindsight 40 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 10
Challenge: 1

Distract: The vegepygmy champignions forces any hostile creature within range of its attack to be at disadvantage when attacking any opponent except itself.

ACTIONS
Mace Melee weapon attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 4 points (2d4-1) bludgeoning damage.

All Vegepygmy Saplings that have accumulated sufficient resources, size, age, and experience eventually become Champignions. These are awkward, as their increased lignification has made them more resistant to damage, but also slower and less dexterous. They strike with improvised weapons that are equivalent in heft and hardness to maces. Since they are not very strong, these do little damage, but they do serve to pin down opponents so that the more agile Sprouts and Sporriors can attack them with thrown sticks.

Last edited by Kirt on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: 5E stats for 5HD Vegepygmie Reply with quote

1E Stats for 5 HD Vegepygmy:
AC4 HD5 Hp 31 At. 1 Dam. 2-8 (flail) SD 1 damage from piercing, immune to electricity, charm, 50% invisible when environment matches coloration

5E Stats for Sub-chief
Small Plant (4' high), unaligned

AC 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 42 (5d6+25)
Speed 20 ft

Str 8 (-1)
Dex 12 (+1)
Con 20 (+5)
Int 10 (0)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 12 (+1)

Skills: Stealth +2 in matching environment
Senses: Blindsight 40 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 11
Challenge: 2

Resilient: The vegepygmy subchief has both proficiency in, and advantage on, Wisdom and Constitution saves.

Hard-hitting: The vegepygmy subchief scores a critical hit on attack rolls of natural 19 and 20.

ACTIONS
Flail Melee weapon attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 6 points (2d6-1) bludgeoning damage.

Most vegepygmies are forced to end their growth when they reach Champignions, restricting their food intake to just what is sufficient to maintain themselves. A very few are permitted to keep growing, and only if the needs of the colony dictate the presence of more sub-leaders. Champignions that are allowed to grow eventually become Sub-chiefs. These are of normal intelligence and superior wisdom and charisma, such that they begin to take an active roll in assessing the needs of the colony and directing its actions.

They no longer accompany scouting or raiding parties, both because they are needed to direct colony operations and because their slow speed would hinder movement. They are usually positioned at the external border of the colony so that they are the first members faced by attackers - their toughness buying time for the colony to respond while they are being fought.

They are able to take large amounts of damage due to their extensive lignification (at the cost of further reductions in movement, stealth, and dexterity). They strike with their own limbs, which are grown to the girth of, and as hard as, tree limbs.

Last edited by Kirt on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: 5E stats for 6HD Vegepygmy Reply with quote

1E Stats for 6 HD Vegepygmy:
AC4 HD6 Hp 38 At. 1 Dam. 1-10 (halberd) SD 1 damage from piercing, immune to electricity, charm, 50% invisible when environment matches coloration

5E Stats for Chief
Medium Plant (4.5' high), unaligned

AC 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 48 (5d8+25)
Speed 20 ft

Str 9 (-1)
Dex 11 (0)
Con 21 (+5)
Int 11 (0)
Wis 13 (+1)
Cha 13 (+1)

Senses: Blindsight 40 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 11
Challenge: 2

Resilient: The vegepygmy chief has both proficiency in, and advantage on, Wisdom and Constitution saves.

Hard-hitting: The vegepygmy chief scores a critical hit on attack rolls of natural 19 and 20.

ACTIONS
Halberd Melee weapon attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 8 points (2d8-1) bludgeoning damage.

The leader of a vegepygmy colony is always a chief. In the event a colony is without a chief, the largest vegepygmy present will then have unlimited access to resources until it has grown to the size of a chief. Only one of these may be present; once a colony has a chief, the sub-chiefs present are limited and cannot grow further.

The chiefs have even greater intelligence, wisdom, and charisma than sub-chiefs, and they ultimately direct all colony activities. Unlike sub-chiefs, they live in the center of the colony and seldom participate in combat unless the colony is overrun and they are attacked. In this case, they are formidable opponents, encased in a thick layer of woody tissue very like plate armor, with flexible fibrous tissue at only the necessary joints. Although they may use their thick, branchlike arms to attack, they are intelligent enough to assess and use weapons created by other races when these would be superior to their natural attacks.

It is possible that growth forms larger than a chief exist, but none have been observed. They would be most likely to occur somewhere a vegepygmy super-colony was present.
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: 5E Stats for Thornie Reply with quote

1E Stats for Thornie:
AC 3, MV 15”, HD 4, hp 20 + 1-10, #AT 1, D 2-5 (plus 3-12 ripping damage from their thorn-like growths if in close combat), animal intelligence, man-sized

5E Stats for Thornie
Medium Plant, unaligned

AC 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (4d8+12)
Speed 50 ft

Str 12 (+1)
Dex 16 (+3)
Con 17 (+3)
Int 3 (-4)
Wis 10 (0)
Cha 7 (-2)

Condition Immunities: charmed*, exhaustion
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 10
Languages: None, but understands vegepygmy vocalizations

*Not immune to charms that specifically target plants.

Prickly: The thornie is covered in long, barbed thorns. If a creature attacks it with a weapon that has a 5' reach or less, the thornie may, as a reaction, do 20 points of piercing damage to its attacker. This damage is reduced by 1 for each point of AC of the attacker.

ACTIONS
Bite: Melee weapon attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target.
Hit: 4 points (d4+2) piercing damage.

Thornies are grown from buds by the vegepygmies and trained to attack. They will obey commands from any southern vegepygmy, fighting to the death.
Kirt
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Apartments Reply with quote

Apartments
The first door to be looked at adds the Standard Door handout to the player’s journal.

After being searched, move “apartment” text from DM to map layer for each room

First time entered:
This is a small chamber, apparently a living quarters, judging by the furniture. The furniture itself is easily recognizable in form and function, but is obviously made of strange and unfamiliar materials. The walls, floor, and ceiling are of the same strange metal as the exterior corridors (wall metal). The floor and walls are solid, the ceiling has a few rectangular panels that look like they might be made of glass. Just inside the door you entered are two small, recessed panels on the wall. Both are rectangular and slightly larger than a human hand.

When the first panel (closer to the door) is pressed, there is a slight whirring noise and the door slides shut.

When the second panel (farther from the door) is pressed, the room is flooded with very bright light. When your eyes adjust, you can see that the light is being produced by the glass panels in the ceiling.

(Move the light panel from map layer to token layer, give all players control, select all players see light, and set the light at 120 feet, 0 feet. Let players know that they can turn the light on and off by interacting with the token)

The bed has a frame made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

The mattress is covered with a thin, linen-like but unrecognizable fabric. It is rent, torn, and stained in several places. Beneath the fabric is a thick block of soft, incredibly light, and resilient material. You imagine it would be exceedingly comfortable. If the players Investigate (no roll needed) share the Cave Sponge handout, above.

The room also contains an odd, stuffed divan. It appears to be designed for two or more people to sit next to one another, but in comfort, which you find a strange concept. Of course, people often crowd together on benches at trestle tables or in pews at church. But anyone wealthy enough to have private, upholstered furniture would surely want a chair to themselves, wouldn’t they? The divan has a frame made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

The seat and back cushions and armrests are covered with a thin, linen-like but unrecognizable fabric. It is rent, torn, and stained in several places. Underneath the fabric is a thick block of soft, incredibly light, and resilient material. You imagine it would be exceedingly comfortable, as if it was designed for sleeping rather than sitting. If the players Investigate (no roll needed) share the Cave Sponge handout, above.

There is a low table flanked by one or two of the divans. The height of the table is curious. For creatures sitting on the divan, it would be difficult to eat without bending over uncomfortably. The table has a frame made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

There is a high table flanked by chairs. The table is made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

The chairs have a normal back, but no legs. Rather, the seat continues down the front, across the bottom, and up the back, so that the whole thing from the side rather resembles a lower base “b”. The chairs are made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

The desk is plain and unadorned. The drawers open easily, with a sophisticated system of runners and metal castors such as might be found in an expensive trap. They are either empty or have worthless junk, however. Oddly, you find no trace of ink, ink bottles, quills, sealing wax, parchment, or paper in the desk. The surface of the desk is a hard, reflective metal sheet, while the drawers and legs are made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

There is a small nightstand by the bed that seems to double as a chest. The lid folds up, but the entire front may be pulled out like a drawer as well. The hinges are of a hard, reflective metal. The drawer opens easily, with a sophisticated system of runners and metal castors such as might be found in an expensive trap. It is either empty or has worthless junk, however. The chest itself is made of a curious material. Investigation (no roll needed) will allow players access to the cave horn handout, above.

The skeletons are definitely humanoid and most likely human, judging by their size and features, but the bone is exceptionally old and dry. What remains of the rags they are clad in is an exceptionally light material, thin like silk but remarkably resistant to decay judging by the age of the bones.

Return:
This place was likely a living quarters, as evidenced by the bed, table and chairs, and desk. There are often a number of skeletons in rotting clothes present. It has been thoroughly looted. Everything appears to be worthless or in bad condition, with only bits of rag and odd pieces of junk present - but you will need to spend time searching it to be sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: