Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Request assistance with 576 CY TOEE Politics with Verbobonc
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Request assistance with 576 CY TOEE Politics with Verbobonc
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am  
    Request assistance with 576 CY TOEE Politics with Verbobonc

I started a conservataion over at Dragonsfoot with krebizfan and Slice812. We have some some really good idea's on connections to 576 cy Verbobonc from the Temple of Elemental Evil. I am hoping that someone already developed this and could please share for our Greyhawk campaigns.

The modules say there is someone is assisting the TOEE in the big city.
    Who is that and what is he assisting with?
    Name, class, level, history, politics?

It was considered that spies in Verbobonc is a more subtle Temple so there are several minor traders and bar workers who are affiliated with the Temple. At least one of these needs to have a source within the guards or army so the Temple can be prepared if another attack is launched.

I have referred to the 50+ page PDF Verbobonc guide that was inspired loosely by Return to TOEE and it is filled with NPC's. There is no suggested agents of the Temple but it does describe a fractious city ready to accept competent leadership from outside such as the Temple might have offered had the Lareth plan reached its intended objective. With the cosmopolitan city of the size and influence and location of Verbobonc, there would be much more than a someone. I would imagine there would be a cult or some other such organization tied the TOEE (even if the minor members werent aware of it)

The type of villain in Verbobonc seems to be a decision for the DM based on how the campaign is supposed to go. A high level important figure leading the EE cult would probably result in a battle in the palace as a coup is started which the PCs can either support or stop but the PCs will need a lot of levels before they can impact it. Multiple low level spies could lead to a undercover style game as the PCs find clues about supporters within the Temple and then flip the supporters in Verbobonc to catch the next group of EE cult leaders in whatever additional nests they may have.

Good choices for the support for the supporters of the Temple would include:

Third or fourth in command of the Guards: High enough to know all the secret plans and also to let Temple personnel slip through but not already in charge. Likely to lead rebellious portion of the Guard in support of the restoration of Bonnie Prince Lareth.

An assistant to the City Mayor (or equivalent): Able to keep anyone from noticing recruits from the Bandit Kingdoms heading to the Temple and helping divert supplies to the Temple. Big caravan goes to Verbobonc and this person alters the records so a portion slips out of the warehouse again unnoticed. Ready to take over control of the city and indulge in some petty revenge.

The potential NPCs for these slots and how they relate to the various factions from the Temple and the various evil nations that are all intervening in the growth of the Temple and subversion of both Furyondy and Verbobonc.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm  

Fate of Istus mentions a high priest of Iuz living in Verbobonc in secret. This priest, whose true name is Helthrax, is explicitly not allied with the Temple of Elemental Evil at the time that adventure is set (between 576 and 582 CY, according to The Adventure Begins) because it's said that Iuz "has wasted too many years on the Temple of Elemental Evil and the insecure plans of Zuggtmoy's followers."

That suggests that in earlier years, however, both Iuz and Helthrax would have been supporters of the Temple, so it seems likely that Helthrax could be assisting the Temple of Elemental Evil in 576 CY. Helthrax has many evil servants and it's said that his "spies are everywhere." Helthrax is a 12th level cleric of Iuz.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:20 am  

Thank you Rasgon, that helped a lot. I own this module and found who you are referring to. This gives me a lot to work with.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:47 pm  

I'm working on a detailed description of Verbobonc for a combination of Sargent's Night Below and the T1-4, A1-4, GDQ1-7 supermodule series. You can find them on my blog Hall of the Mountain King if you are interested.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:17 pm  

Thank you Jason. I found your website and found them invaluable.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:25 pm  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    I'm working on a detailed description of Verbobonc for a combination of Sargent's Night Below and the T1-4, A1-4, GDQ1-7 supermodule series. You can find them on my blog Hall of the Mountain King if you are interested.

Ok you just majorly piqued my interest on the combination of Night Below, T1-4, A1-4, and GDQ1-7. Definitely going to check out your blog.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:10 am  

When I DMed it I didn’t have allies of Iuz at Verbobonc. I had the Horned Society agents there trying to infiltrate, muscle in and take over the Temple. They were a recurring menace to the PCs for a while, not just in the Hommlet area.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 am  

tschenks, actually, you just hit on one of the idea's I had for my Cults of Greyhawk campaign. I got to thinking about the Horned Society and they are a perfect fit for making deals with Demon Lords for power. Orcus is one of the most powerful to request power from. Demogordon as well of course. But, since I plan to run some side campaign threads involving the Cult or Orcus, with the Wizard's Amulet module adventure from Necromancer games, this all fits perfectly well. The players need a way to level up between the T1 and T4 module and I do not give out exp for gold pieces.

I had the same idea as you, by having the Horned Society interest in the bottom of the TOEE. Even but an agent of theirs in the lower temple area undercover.

This is why I called my campaign and website The Cults of Greyhawk.
    1. Cult of Iuz
    2. Cult of the Elder Elemental God
    3. Cult of Fire
    4, Cult of Water
    5. Cult of Earth
    6. Cult of Air
    7. Cult of Orcus
    8. Cult of Vecna
    9. Cult of Scarlet Brotherhood
    10. Dark Druids cult
    11. Cult of Thazridun

I have Verbobonc keyed so now I am determining which NPC's in the city are cult agents with these various cults. I am also detailing the NPC Viscount, Bishops and Lords in and around Verbobonc of their activities and knnowledge. Detailing the Gnarley Rangers, Druids, Mounted Borderes, Tuvar Clan and Kron Hills, Celene etc etc. Turning Greyhawk into the Game of Thrones lol
    GreySage

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:13 pm  

StylinLP38 wrote:
    ...I got to thinking about the Horned Society and they are a perfect fit for making deals with Demon Lords for power. Orcus is one of the most powerful to request power from. Demogordon as well of course...

StylinLP38, you can do whatever you want with your campaign, but I want to point out that the Horned Society are in league with devils, not demons. Iuz summons demons. That's a large part of the rift between the two nations. Just in case you didn't know.
    Wink

SirXaris

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 pm  

Yes thats right, I see that now. Well, based on the TOEE I was set on that IUZ has his own cult that worships him. If he is a Deity then his clerics would be granted their spells from him? per the rules...
    But then again, Iuz and all his followers could be granted their spells by worshiping or making a pact/deal with a Demonlord like Demogorgon or Orcus.
    GreySage

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm  

No, no, you are correct, StylinLP38. Iuz is a deity that grants his clerics spells. It is just that he began as a cambion demon, so when he attained deity status, the Abyss is where he already had all his contacts, etc. His power comes from the CE Abyss and the demons associated with it. The Horned Society worships the LE devils in the Nine Hells and gets their power from that source. The conflict between Iuz and the Horned Society is a miniature version of the Blood War.

SirXaris

P.S. Remember, Iuz's father is the Demon Lord, Grazzt.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: