JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sports of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sports of the Flanaess
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:23 am  
    Sports of the Flanaess

We have that Kord has sports in his portfolio, and the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan has pelota, but what other sports are played in the Flanaess?

I am looking for a team sport that could be played between different units of Furyondy's army; my PCs are playing a unit in the army, and I would like a friendly competition to give them interaction with the rest of the army.

Does it seem reasonable to have soccer/football exist? Or has there been a reference to existing sport that I have overlooked?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:33 am  

The City of Greyhawk boxed set alludes to games being played in the Arena, but sadly offers no specifics beyond rowing races and mock sea battles.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34 pm  

If you're talking about something formally organized by the army itself, then you're most likely talking about full-bore skirmishes in armor but using wooden training weapons, or maybe individual fencing matches.

If you're considering something informal done on an ad-hoc basis between individual units, well, it probably depends on the units. Polo is not all that different from basic cavalry tactics, after all. Football (the American version) or rugby bears a few similarities to infantry line-fighting. Or maybe football (soccer in America) is just that popular. Just strip it down to it's basics, add an odd rule or two, and have at.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm  

I'd recommend football, though in its original, rougher medieval form. Terry Pratchett's Folklore of Discworld talks about this version of the game at some length, and it would apparently occupy entire towns for a day...lr mean occupy the town as the town itself was the pitch.

I'd agree though that any sport the army would contrive would either be "a bloodless battle so that their battles could be bloody drills' or more more along the lines of simple athletic competitions such as running, throwing, etc... think original Olympic games. Plus, multiple events would give different characters a chance to shine.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:07 pm  

You could take ancient ball games such as Harpastum, Cuju, or Ulama and develop "Greyhawk Rules" for them. Something that is different from our own history but familiar enough for your players to understand.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:07 am  

Another thing to bear in mind. Any formal and organized game is more likely to have significant equipment requirements, while a pick-up game is more likely to improvise gear.

Take baseball for an example. In formal play you need a proper field, bases, gloves, balls, bats, helmets, and padding for the catcher. For a pick-up game you might use whatever ball is at hand (even a ball of rags) and a decent size stick, improvising the field and bases from whatever's handy.

Likewise, there may be extensive rules for special situations in formal play, but the rules tend to get stripped down for pickup games.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:43 pm  

…I feel like taking a page out of Calvin and Hobbes and creating a "Zagygball."
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:29 pm  

There were many different types of Medieval Sports. The majority of which were designed to increase skills and fitness of fighting men. The Medieval sports included the following:

Archery - Archery contests were especially popular
    Bowls
    Colf - the ancestor of Golf ( a sport for the nobles)
    Gameball - a simple football game
    Hammer-throwing
    Hurling or Shinty - a similar game to hockey
    Horseshoes - throwing horseshoes at a target
    Jousting at Tournaments
    Quarter-staff contests
    Skittles - an ancestor of modern ten-pin bowling
    Stoolball - an ancestor of Cricket
    Wrestling

Found here: http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-life/medieval-sports.htm
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:10 pm  

Consider also the events you would see at a modern Highland Games.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 am  

"Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins" says that certain 'long field sports' are played at the Free City Arena. I always took that as a subtle nod to Gary Gygax's love of football, so it could easily be a sport that the peoples of the Flanaess could play. Its emphasis on formations, field maneuvers and strategy also make it a natural choice for a military like Furyondy's.

Lacrosse might be another choice. The Iroquois used to play it as much as a spiritual game as a release for warriors' energies, so it's only natural that the Flan might play it as such too. Its warrior heritage would also make it a military fit.

Baseball might fit too, as various sources talk about giants playing a similar sport with large trees and boulders. Humans and other smaller races could play a scaled-down version.

I'd also suggest that Hieroneous, Hextor and even St. Cuthbert would all encourage the playing of sports like these to some extent. Aside from promoting the physical activity necessary for warfare, some sports also have strategies and formations similar to military maneuvers and they also provide a non-lethal outlet for aggressive energy in peacetime. If clerics of Kord aren't available to provide healings and blessings for sports players, clerics of these other gods could easily take their places.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:32 pm  

Just give all the major cities in the Flanaess Blood Bowl teams.

The Greyhawk Hawks
    The Enstad Griffins
    The Yecha Tigers
    The Ungra Balan Wolves
    The Ekbir Talismans
    The Gorna Giants
    The Niole Dra Lions
    The Gradsul Unicorns
    The Dyvers Divers
    The Chendl Furies
    The Stoink Hogs
    The Dorakaa Skulls
    The Molag Horns
    The Wintershiven Lights
    The Rauxes Machines
    The Hesuel Ilshar Monks
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:54 pm  

43-Man Squamish?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm  

Darts in Restenford, Lendore Isles, at Falcos;

Axe throwing Grassflats, Ratik:

https://rpggeek.com/image/3276287/reflections

...not to mention drunken arrow dodging...

I assume that Ratik's army partly bases its selection on games held at five district centers, held during the four festivals:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8556&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

"The Fest Games:

Every festweek, Ratik’s five districts hold games. Each holds contests for the local missile weapons (sling, bow, and/or crossbow as the case may be), fencing, weight-lifting (the Needfest Feats of Strength!), sprinting, and obstacle course. The Western, South-Western, and Central districts hold jousting and equestrian steeplechase events, and the Central districts holds swimming events. Other events are held unofficially. The powers-that-be note the participants’ performances with an eye to determining future postings for military service, including selection for tribune..."

...I should get back to that project... Embarassed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 pm  

Well, Blood Bowl is definitely out, as one of my players is a Blood Bowl fan, and I don't need to provoke his superior knowledge on the topic. As for everything else, thanks! This gives me a bit to work with and think about.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:31 pm  

For more ideas, you might look into Scottish Highland Games. The caper toss comes to mind.

SirXaris

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:36 pm  

Ancient Roman Sports:
    http://www.legendsandchronicles.com/ancient-civilizations/ancient-rome/ancient-roman-sports/

Ooh...Ooh...check out Fisherman's Joust! An instant classic: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/12-crazy-sports-from-the-ancient-world/
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 pm  

Ancient Roman Sports:
    http://www.legendsandchronicles.com/ancient-civilizations/ancient-rome/ancient-roman-sports/

Ooh...Ooh...check out Fisherman's Joust! An instant classic: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/12-crazy-sports-from-the-ancient-world/
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: