Username Password
   or Create an Account
HomeForumsFAQArticlesReviewsDownloadsLinksTop 20Feedback
 Features

Greyhawk Wiki

Canonfire :: View topic - Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Adventure on the high seas
Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Adventure on the high seas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mekorig
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Adventure on the high seas Reply with quote

Quote:
ADVENTURE ON THE HIGH SEAS
Explore the waves above and the fathoms below in these watery adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Nestled on the coast of the Azure Sea is Saltmarsh, a sleepy fishing village that sits on the precipice of destruction. Smugglers guide their ships to hidden coves, willing to slit the throat of anyone fool enough to cross their path. Cruel sahuagin gather beneath the waves, plotting to sweep away coastal cities. Drowned sailors stir to unnatural life, animated by dark magic and sent forth in search of revenge. The cult of a forbidden god extends its reach outward from a decaying port, hungry for fresh victims and willing recruits. While Saltmarsh slumbers, the evils that seek to plunder it grow stronger. Heroes must arise to keep the sea lanes safe for all.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic ‘U’ series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of Dungeon Magazine:

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Danger at Dunwater
The Final Enemy
Salvage Operation
Isle of the Abbey
Tammeraut’s Fate
The Styes

All adventures have been faithfully adapted to the fifth edition rules of Dungeons & Dragons. Furthermore, this book includes details on the port town of Saltmarsh, as well as plenty of adventure hooks for each chapter. Play through the whole story in a seafaring campaign leading characters from level 1 through level 12, or Dungeon Masters can easily pull out sections to place in ongoing campaigns in any setting. The appendices also cover mechanics for ship-to-ship combat, new magic items, monsters, and more!

“The Saltmarsh series consistently ranks as one of the most popular classic D&D adventures,” said Mike Mearls, franchise creative director of D&D. “With its ties to ocean-based adventuring, it was an obvious step to augment it with additional sea-based adventures and a robust set of rules for managing a nautical campaign.”

Hoist your sails, pull up anchor, and set a course for adventure!

WHERE CAN I BUY IT?
Unravel sinister secrets of the sea with Ghosts of Saltmarsh releasing in game stores, digitally and everywhere on May 21, 2019. An alternate art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on May 21. Pre-order now at your local game store, book stores such as Barnes & Noble, or online at retailers like Amazon.

ITEM DETAILS
Price: $49.95
Release Date: 21 May, 2019
Format: Hardcover

Well, i really hope they show a little more of Greyhawk in this adventures omnibus.

Just began to read Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, and my head already hurts!

Cronicas de Wandemere - My current Greyhawk campaign (in spanish)
JasonZavoda
Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is meant to be setting neutral.
Luz
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonZavoda wrote:

Not so, according to this:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?659153-A-Look-Inside-Ghosts-of-Saltmarsh

It looks like they are giving this book full GH treatment, including a 22-page chapter detailing Saltmarsh and its environs.
JasonZavoda

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luz wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:

Not so, according to this:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?659153-A-Look-Inside-Ghosts-of-Saltmarsh

It looks like they are giving this book full GH treatment, including a 22-page chapter detailing Saltmarsh and its environs.

I will have to check it out but other than a mention of Keoland on that one page it doesn't look very GH treatment (Im not sure if that is a good thing or bad).
Luz
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonZavoda wrote:
I will have to check it out but other than a mention of Keoland on that one page it doesn't look very GH treatment (Im not sure if that is a good thing or bad).

Judging by the screenshots on the Twitter link, there are references to Keoland, the Scarlet Brotherhood, St. Cuthbert, the Sea Princes, King Scotti, and a few others. It also looks like they've tied the other modules together into an overall campaign arc (The Isle of the Abbey, for instance, is used as a segue to The Final Enemy). There are three factions involved, the SB and ??? So it appears they are fleshing out the Saltmarsh region pretty well, which is the most official GH love we've seen in a long time. Personally, I'd rather see this than an entire world setting reboot. I love the established GH from previous editions and still have tons to use from it. More focused details on smaller regions are certainly welcome and refreshing tho. YMMV.
JasonZavoda

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luz wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:

Judging by the screenshots on the Twitter link, there are references to Keoland, the Scarlet Brotherhood, St. Cuthbert, the Sea Princes, King Scotti, and a few others. It also looks like they've tied the other modules together into an overall campaign arc (The Isle of the Abbey, for instance, is used as a segue to The Final Enemy). There are three factions involved, the SB and ??? So it appears they are fleshing out the Saltmarsh region pretty well, which is the most official GH love we've seen in a long time. Personally, I'd rather see this than an entire world setting reboot. I love the established GH from previous editions and still have tons to use from it. More focused details on smaller regions are certainly welcome and refreshing tho. YMMV.

I havent seen much quality in the Greyhawk products over the years. I have bad experiences and low expectations from anything coming from WotC related to Greyhawk and I haven' seen anything in the snippets so far to be overly enthusiastic about. Personally I want quality material regardless of anything. Quality will have me appropriately excited.
Luz
Journeyman Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonZavoda wrote:
I havent seen much quality in the Greyhawk products over the years. I have bad experiences and low expectations from anything coming from WotC related to Greyhawk and I haven' seen anything in the snippets so far to be overly enthusiastic about. Personally I want quality material regardless of anything. Quality will have me appropriately excited.

Fair enough. I found 3e/3.5 GH pretty lacking aside from a handful of material. Even before that, almost anything post-Sargent 2e was,IMO, very weak. Which brings up an interesting point: does GH even need a reboot/revision? It seems like each iteration tends to divide the GH community more than it gathers it. But this is probably fodder for another thread.

At any rate, I'll remain cautiously optimistic. I'm happy to see the town of Saltmarsh get reworked (I never liked the 3.5 version in the DMG2) and glad they're concentrating on a small vicinity rather than trying to go large scale. The proof, as they say, will be in the black pudding.
JasonZavoda

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luz wrote:
JasonZavoda wrote:

Fair enough. I found 3e/3.5 GH pretty lacking aside from a handful of material. Even before that, almost anything post-Sargent 2e was,IMO, very weak. Which brings up an interesting point: does GH even need a reboot/revision? It seems like each iteration tends to divide the GH community more than it gathers it. But this is probably fodder for another thread.

At any rate, I'll remain cautiously optimistic. I'm happy to see the town of Saltmarsh get reworked (I never liked the 3.5 version in the DMG2) and glad they're concentrating on a small vicinity rather than trying to go large scale. The proof, as they say, will be in the black pudding.

I am more optimistic about tthis book now than I was. I love the early material, I thought Sargent's work was high quality but wasn't the direction of my campaign though it was handy to steal ideas from. I liked the LGG and loved the map and work on the City of Greyhawk in the LGJ but Ive been either disappointed with or angry over the way Greyhawk has been treated since post-Gygax TSR.

I will try to grumble less and be hopeful since the book is due in about 11 days.
JasonZavoda

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghosts of Saltmarsh Index (First Draft)

https://jasonzavoda-hallofthemountainking.blogspot.com/2019/05/ghosts-of-saltmarsh-index-first-draft.html
Amesang
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea of when this adventure takes place? Whenever I need to cross the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® with the FORGOTTEN REALMS®, I typically use an "X+784 CY = Y DR" formula (taken from "Legacies of the Suel Imperium," DRAGON Magazine #241 November 1997, p.47).

And considering the huge leap in time between 3e FR and 4e/5e FR

(I ask 'cause I'm the primary note-keeper of my group and the DM rarely bothers with such minutia. =Ţ It would be interesting to adventure through a somewhat "future" Oerth… and if I recall the lore correctly, the gradual diminishment of magic would fit in well with 5e.)
JasonZavoda

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amesang wrote:
Any idea of when this adventure takes place? Whenever I need to cross the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® with the FORGOTTEN REALMS®, I typically use an "X+784 CY = Y DR" formula (taken from "Legacies of the Suel Imperium," DRAGON Magazine #241 November 1997, p.47).

And considering the huge leap in time between 3e FR and 4e/5e FR

(I ask 'cause I'm the primary note-keeper of my group and the DM rarely bothers with such minutia. =Ţ It would be interesting to adventure through a somewhat "future" Oerth… and if I recall the lore correctly, the gradual diminishment of magic would fit in well with 5e.)

I haven't found a specific date but on pg 28 they link the new material to the old modules which were 576cy.
Amesang
Apprentice Greytalker

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm not surprised? I recall hearing ages ago that they wanted to reboot the WORLD OF GREYHAWK® back to 576 CY, and as an ardent fan of 3e… I'm honestly not against that.

Hell, when contemplating converting my plane-hopping 3e sorceress, Quintessa, to 5e, I had thought of her visiting Toril just as the Spellplague hits and ending up frozen by a variant temporal stasis. Eventually she's freed only to find that not only has a 100+ years passed, but the temporal connection between Oerth and Toril has altered so that she'd return to the Oerth of "the past" — possibly an Oerth where she was never born.
Cebrion
Black Hand of Oblivion
Black Hand of Oblivion

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mentioned that, as treaties have been made with Keoland's northern adversaries Veluna, the king is now beginning to pay more attention to the long ignored and somewhat lawless southern coast. As such, agents of the crown are now present in the Saltmarsh. This causes some friction between those locals wanting to be left alone and those happy to have agents of the crown present. The adventures are not set in any particular year that I noticed (I could have missed it), so they can be set whenever you want, including 576 CY. Additional factions are present in the material, those mostly being the usual suspects wanting influence in the Azure Sea. One faction seems a bit out of place geographically, and operates openly - brazenly even (which makes no sense as to them being able to ultimately accomplish their overall purpose for being in the area).
Icarus
Master Greytalker

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Saltmarsh Factions Reply with quote

Cebrion wrote:
… Additional factions are present in the material, those mostly being the usual suspects wanting influence in the Azure Sea. One faction seems a bit out of place geographically, and operates openly - brazenly even (which makes no sense as to them being able to ultimately accomplish their overall purpose for being in the area).
Are you referring to the Scarlet Brotherhood? I was trying to figure out which one you felt was out of place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: