Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Character Theme Songs?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Character Theme Songs?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 pm  
    Character Theme Songs?

I took Jason Zavoda's comments about our not discussing here more as a challenge, so let's see if we can get some more discussion going here.

Giving characters theme songs is common in everything from Japanese RPGs to professional wrestling. Have you ever thought of songs that might apply to Greyhawk characters, either notable NPCs or characters from your own campaigns or stories? Here are some examples I came up with:
    Ivid V: "Stargazer" by Rainbow. The song is about an insane wizard who dreams of reaching the stars and enslaves thousands of people to build a tower for his mad vision. Eventually, the wizard tries to 'fly' off the tower to reach the stars, but falls to his death. The wizard's hubris, the suffering he inflicts on his followers and being the final victim of his own madness, all make for an all too apt-and all too tragic-parallel with Ivid and the people who suffered under his madness.

Mordenkainen: "The Soulforged" by Blind Guardian. This song was actually written about Raistlin Majere, but at the risk of being tarred and feathered I'll say that I see some interesting parallels between the two wizards. Both men are highly intelligent and powerful, passionately devoted to realizing their goals and willing to cross all sorts of lines to reaching them, repressing their own morals and human desires for companionship to do so. Raistlin became devoted to evil and Mordenkainen to neutrality, but they couldn't be more Byronic if the Lord himself was writing them.

Iuz: "Antichrist Superstar", by Marilyn Manson. This one needs no explanation.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am  

I've never thought about character music before. Ive done some background music to intro aspects of an rpg session but not music associated with characters.

Im also of the poetical turn mind and often look for poetry to fit my Greyhawk campaign but I mainly do gods or battles rather than people.

I can see using The Who'd Behind Blue Eyes for Robilar.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:44 pm  

It's a bit of a reach, but in Hong Kong Action Theater one of the character abilities was 'theme song'. The player decided at what point in the 'film' the character's theme song would play and then the character would get in-game benefits - as the theme song clearly indicates that this is the point where the character gets to shine...
    GreySage

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 am  

I have always considered the 'Kitchen Orgy' music from 'Conan, the Barbarian' to be appropriate battle music for someone like Warduke.

SirXaris

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:40 am  

Ivid V: "You'll Be Back" from Hamilton
    Korenth Zan: "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Queen Yolande: "What Do the Simple Folk Do?" from Camelot.
    Jaran Krimeeah: "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead
    Ren o' the Star: "Luck Be a Lady" from Guys and Dolls
    Nerof Gasgal: "Master of the House" from Les Miserables
    Derider Fanshen: "Clumsy" by Our Lady Peace
    Sental Nurev: "Funeral Cremation" by Cannibal Corpse
    Org Nenshen: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones
    Turin Deathstalker: "The Contractor and the Assassin" by Logh
    Tysiln San: "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab for Cutie
    Alesh Marin: "TiVo the Revolution" by the Metasciences
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:01 am  

There is a 300-something or other issue of Dragon discussing music for adventure "episodes". The same principles would work for characters.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: