JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Celadon Fire
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Celadon Fire
    Master Greytalker

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:08 pm  
    Celadon Fire

The LGG relates a fire of mysterious origin that burned the western half of the Celadon in 571 CY. Was this thread developed elsewhere, perhaps in LG? My PCs are in Nellix in 573 CY and heading into the forest.
    GreySage

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:03 am  

This was around the time of the Temple Coalition Revolt in the Duchy of Urnst, and it seems likely it was part of Duke Justinian Lorinar's tyranny.

The Marklands says the Celadon Forest is traditionally autonomous, but during the Greyhawk Wars this was revoked and Nyrondese men burned part of the eastern edges. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar had happened a decade earlier on the western side.

The Spurned Vale may be the result of part of the western forest being destroyed.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 pm  

Yeah, the fire could be Justinian's goons racketeering to punish woodland priests and druids for joining the Temple Coalition Revolt. Or maybe a magical conflagration broke out if the Seer tried to force the reclusive Keohtom to make some Ointment for the Duke's wounds after healers refused him.

Another development option are the dervishes of the Bright Desert, who are criminally underused compared to Justinian's multitude of plot hooks. Reading GH Adventures and LGG closely, desert dervishes and nomads killed all THREE of Karll's brothers around that time, so whatever "border war" was going on was serious! An interesting plot twist would be to make the dervishes the good guys, with their ties to Heironious and Geshti, struggling against corrupt and decadent Suel/Maure nobles and old wealth in the Duchy (later sources have sadly minimized or dismissed the strange but intriguing references to these Bright Desert gods in GH Adventures and WGR3).

A final possibility is the fire was the result of a trade war. Real-world problems are always refreshing in a fantasy setting and this would allow players to go wherever the DM wants. The Celadon watches one of the quintessential shipping routes of the Flanaess: the Nesser. A fire along its banks could be a crippling financial disruption, or a smokescreen (literally) for pirates. Responsible parties could be anyone trying to hurt the Duchy and Nyrond (South Province, Bandit Kingdoms, a retaliation from persecuted Rhennee in the Duchy) or rivals trying to shunt more traffic to the Selitan & Woolly Bay (GH Thieves' Guild, The Slaverlords based at Darkshelf Quarry, Wild Coast cities, or the Scarlet Brotherhood).

There was a lot of foreign espionage around that time with Karll's sisters assassinated. Maybe the assassins wanted Karll on the throne because he was sympathetic to their trade demands.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    Yeah, the fire could be Justinian's goons racketeering to punish woodland priests and druids for joining the Temple Coalition Revolt...

-What's the precedent for making Justinian a bad guy?
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:41 pm  

C2: ruinous taxes on all temples, including good alignments; harsh laws and punishments; in cahoots with the sinister Seer.

I personally enjoy giving the ruling class in the Duchy of Urnst evil underpinnings because it's so unexpected in the central Flanaess and adds richness, shades of grey, and surprise to the campaign. And there's plenty of precedent, between the backstory of C2, Kuntz's Maure Castle developments, the rampant corruption in WG8, Robilar's dealings in Selteran, and some of the creepy details in LGG.

IMC, Barovia is an old Maure province in the SW Duchy :)
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am  

All good ideas, folks, and what I don’t use will serve as false rumors for the party. I recall reading something years back about an influx of fire elementals, but I can’t find my source and now am unsure if I didn’t just invent that myself. Middle age is rough.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:42 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    ...I recall reading something years back about an influx of fire elementals, but I can’t find my source and now am unsure if I didn’t just invent that myself. Middle age is rough.

-I just happened to be checking that out for something unrelated:

Kent Ertman, "Glacial Inferno", Dungeon Magazine #103, Volume XVII, Number 7 (October 2003): pp. 18-34, 35-38, p. 20.

A worshipper of Huehueteotl accidentally over-connected with the Elemental Plane of Fire. Oops! Based on the time of publishing, this would have been ca. 593 CY.
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:58 pm  

It was really the great firestag
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...A worshipper of Huehueteotl accidentally over-connected with the Elemental Plane of Fire. Oops! Based on the time of publishing, this would have been ca. 593 CY.

...actually, the NPC's name was Huehueteotl.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:50 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:
    ...A worshipper of Huehueteotl …

The NPC's name was Huhueteotl. Very close to the name of the Olman deity. But, missing one vowel.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:
    ...A worshipper of Huehueteotl …

The NPC's name was Huhueteotl. Very close to the name of the Olman deity. But, missing one vowel.

The deity's name is spelled Huhueteotl in The Scarlet Brotherhood (page 42) and 1st edition Deities & Demigods (page 33 of the first printing).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:38 pm  

Probably just another party of murder-hobos that couldn't be bothered with fire safety.
    CF Admin

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    The LGG relates a fire of mysterious origin that burned the western half of the Celadon in 571 CY. Was this thread developed elsewhere, perhaps in LG? My PCs are in Nellix in 573 CY and heading into the forest.

In an online campaign I'm currently playing in, our PCs recently encountered a region of the Gnarley in the Krons that was burned into a volcanic moonscape by a pair of red dragons' depredations. Might be another possibility worth considering

vestcoat wrote:
    I personally enjoy giving the ruling class in the Duchy of Urnst evil underpinnings because it's so unexpected in the central Flanaess and adds richness, shades of grey, and surprise to the campaign. And there's plenty of precedent, between the backstory of C2, Kuntz's Maure Castle developments, the rampant corruption in WG8, Robilar's dealings in Selteran, and some of the creepy details in LGG.

All excellent points further building upon their vile Suloise heritage ;)

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: