JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Specific Druids of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Specific Druids of the Flanaess
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:20 pm  
    Specific Druids of the Flanaess

So, I’m trying to put together a list of what would have once been the top tiers of Druid Hierarchy - Druids, Archdruids, Great Druids, The Grand Druid and any Hierophants. So far my list is very short despite much lore on the Old Faith amongst all the sourcebooks across the editions. So far I’ve only come up with:

Reynard Yargrove - Great Druid of the Sheldomar (Druid of Obad-Hai 14)
    Count Lewenn of Ulek - Archdruid (Druid of Berei 13)
    Loftin Graystand, former Mayor of Highfolk - Druid (Druid of ??? 12)
    Immonara - Archdruid of the Adri Forest (Druid of Obad-Hai 13)

Any other canon top level Druids folks can think of?

Kwint
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:33 pm  
    Re: Specific Druids of the Flanaess

kwint wrote:
    So, I’m trying to put together a list of what would have once been the top tiers of Druid Hierarchy - Druids, Archdruids, Great Druids, The Grand Druid and any Hierophants. So far my list is very short despite much lore on the Old Faith amongst all the sourcebooks across the editions. So far I’ve only come up with:

Reynard Yargrove - Great Druid of the Sheldomar (Druid of Obad-Hai 14)
    Count Lewenn of Ulek - Archdruid (Druid of Berei 13)
    Loftin Graystand, former Mayor of Highfolk - Druid (Druid of ??? 12)

Any other canon top level Druids folks can think of?

Kwint

Arahaz [D11][NPC]
    WGR2 - 76,77,78

Daffyd (Half-Elf)[D12][NPC]
    I9 - 17,18

Govoc the Prophet (Drow)(Drd12)[NPC]
    DRG#298 - 83
    DRG#300 - 92,93

Palatine (Count)[3eD13][NPC]
    LGG - 116

Ateinne (Half-Elf)[D14][NPC]
    WG10 - 2,4,8,10,13,14,15,16,29,30,32
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:32 am  

Kazgorva - Baklunish Undead (Mummy Lord) D12
    Thrown out of his druid circle for his intolerance and took up residence in the Valley of the Csipros Erd.

Source: Dungeon Magazine #131, "The Hateful Legacy"
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 am  

Hildefer Paravis - Great Druid for the region that encompasses the Dominion of Greyhawk (N female human druid 15)

from the old Living Greyhawk article Druids of the Old Faith (if the former link doesn't work, here another from the archive).
    Not sure if considered canon, though.

Greetings from Germany,
    -r

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:40 am  

"The Nature of Druids in the Flanaess: The Old Faith" by Paul J. Stormberg in Oerth Journal #15 details all the archdruids of the Flanaess, and the Great Druid. Fanon, obviously, but worth looking at.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:54 am  

TheRasmus wrote:
    Hildefer Paravis - Great Druid for the region that encompasses the Dominion of Greyhawk (N female human druid 15)

from the old Living Greyhawk article Druids of the Old Faith (if the former link doesn't work, here another from the archive).
    Not sure if considered canon, though.

Greetings from Germany,
    -r

This article states: “The Druids must answer to the nine Great Druids who each oversee one of the nine geographical regions of Oerth.“ I was under the impression that there were 9 Circles in the Flanaess, not 9 circles for the Whole Oerth. Hildefer seems to be the Great Druid of a very small geographic area for one of nine circles worldwide.

Kwint
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 am  

kwint wrote:
    This article states: “The Druids must answer to the nine Great Druids who each oversee one of the nine geographical regions of Oerth.“ I was under the impression that there were 9 Circles in the Flanaess, not 9 circles for the Whole Oerth.

True and well spotted.
    I suppose replacing Oerth with Flanaess in this section is the right solution.
    At least I assume that this was the author's actual intention.

And I'm note sure about the rest of Oerik or even Oerth in that matter, but I always saw the Old Faith as something Flanaess-based.

-r

Edit:
    To finally fit Hildefer in, I would make her Great Druid of Old Ferrond.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:21 am  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    Arahaz [D11][NPC]
    WGR2 - 76,77,78

I9 - 17,18

Govoc the Prophet (Drow)(Drd12)[NPC]
    DRG#298 - 83
    DRG#300 - 92,93

Palatine (Count)[3eD13][NPC]
    LGG - 116

Ateinne (Half-Elf)[D14][NPC]
    WG10 - 2,4,8,10,13,14,15,16,29,30,32

Jason-
    What is I9? I don’t see it on the Greyhawk Modules Locations.

Is WG10 Child’s Play? If so, is Atienne the Great Druid of Perrenland/The Bitter North as the GML lists the adventure taking place in Perrenland?

Dana
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:17 am  

kwint wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    I9 - 17,18

Jason-

Kwint

Ah, I see, I9 is Day of Al'Akbar although it doesn't seem to be set in the WoG...I assume Daffyd is one of the pre-generated PCs...

Kwint

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:56 pm  

kwint wrote:
    kwint wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    I9 - 17,18

Jason-

Kwint

Ah, I see, I9 is Day of Al'Akbar although it doesn't seem to be set in the WoG...I assume Daffyd is one of the pre-generated PCs...

Kwint

I9 became accepted as a Greyhawk module due to the artifacts the Cup and Talisman of Al Akbar whose DMG1 reference includes specific Greyhawk details.

Since so little detail is given to the Baklunish west it is not a problem to use I9 as a Greyhawk module and reference source
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:33 am  

Kalindren wrote:
    Kazgorva - Baklunish Undead (Mummy Lord) D12
    Thrown out of his druid circle for his intolerance and took up residence in the Valley of the Csipros Erd.

Source: Dungeon Magazine #131, "The Hateful Legacy"

I guess if we include a mummy Druid, we should also include:

Aegwareth (human shade) former Elder Hierophant Druid of White Plume Mountain

Otherwise it's looking pretty thin for 9 Great Druids, 27 Archdruids and 81 post-Initiate Druids for the Flanaess

Kwint
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:40 pm  

For what it's worth, at whatever Gen Con T1-4 was released (1985?), I specifically asked Gygax at a Q&A how many Great Druids the Flanaess had, and he said seven.

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 am  

edmundscott wrote:
    For what it's worth, at whatever Gen Con T1-4 was released (1985?), I specifically asked Gygax at a Q&A how many Great Druids the Flanaess had, and he said seven.

And then he lost TSR. So you're the one to blame. He should never have answered that question.
    GreySage

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:13 am  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    edmundscott wrote:

And then he lost TSR. So you're the one to blame. He should never have answered that question.

Lol! It took me a few seconds to realize the above was a joke. Razz

SirXaris

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:25 pm  

So, it looks like our canon Flanaess Circles look something like this:

SHELDOMAR VALLEY
    Reynard Yargrove - Great Druid of the Sheldomar (female human Druid of Obad-Hai 14)
    Count Lewenn of Ulek – Archdruid of the Eastlands (male human Druid of Berei 13)
    Daffyd – Druid of Geoff (male half-elf Druid of ??? 12) [1]
    Govoc the Prophet – Druid of the UnderOerth (male drow Druid of ??? 12) [2]

OLD FERROND
    Hildefer Paravis - Great Druid of Old Ferrond (N female human druid 15)
    Loftin Graystand, former Mayor of Highfolk - Druid of the Vesve Forest (male half-elf Druid of ??? 12)

BITTER NORTH
    Ateinne – Great Druid of the Bitter North (male half elf Druid of ??? 14) [3]

OLD AERDY EAST

BAKLUHNISH WEST
    Kazgorva, Baklunish Undead – “Druid” of Csipros Erd (Mummy Lord Druid of ??? 12) [4]

[1] Placed Daffyd from Day of Al Ak’bar in Geoff due to name cultural analogue and Campaign need. He may be as easily from Perrenland.

[2] Included Govoc amongst the Sheldomar Valley Druids as Jason made the effort to include him. His connection to the Old Faith must of course be questioned, but Hell, there’s so few named Druids, why not include his unique perspective on Nature?

[3] Gave Ateinne the Great Druidship of the Bitter North due the GML’s location for Child’s Play.

[4] Not Sure how Kargorva fits in, but once again, why not? (See Govoc’s footnote)

Kwint

Last edited by kwint on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    edmundscott wrote:

Lol! It took me a few seconds to realize the above was a joke. Razz

SirXaris

I should have added a smiley face
    Laughing
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:22 pm  

hahaha no worries, Jason
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 pm  

There is some Druidy stuff in the back story for "The Standing Stone". It is non-specific in location but I have put it in the Suss Forest & some of the description in the module suits this.

The adventure states that the druids in the area were destroyed by Ashardalon, the Red Dragon but one alone, Dydd by name, survived. Dydd created the spell "Create Faux Human", which is a 5th level spell. this would make him 9th level at the least & I think it would be reaonable to extrapolate that he was of higher level given the cirumstances.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:47 am  

rasgon wrote:
    "The Nature of Druids in the Flanaess: The Old Faith" by Paul J. Stormberg in Oerth Journal #15 details all the archdruids of the Flanaess, and the Great Druid. Fanon, obviously, but worth looking at.

This is a well thought out and presented hierarchy with much to glean. Of course canonically superseded by the Old Faith web article presented 4 years later. Curiously, it does not include Count Lewenn.

Kwint
    GreySage

Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:57 am  

kwint wrote:
    Is WG10 Child’s Play? If so, is Atienne the Great Druid of Perrenland/The Bitter North as the GML lists the adventure taking place in Perrenland?

Dana

WG10 claims to be set in "the monarchy of Rhesdain, nestled deep in Greyhawk, somewhere on the edge of the Yetil Mountains [sic.]." Since "the monarchy of Rhesdain" is mentioned in no other source, it's difficult to place precisely. Perrenland is one guess, though "the edge of the Yatils" could also be Highfolk, Ket, Ekbir, or the Tiger Nomads. The map is little help, as it has few terrain features (not even mountains) and no scale. Except for the misspelled reference to the Yatils, there's nothing Greyhawk-specific about the adventure.

But you might as well make Atienne the Great Druid of the Bitter North. She's explicitly the Great Druid of somewhere. She likes seashores and beaches especially, the module says.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:15 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    But you might as well make Atienne the Great Druid of the Bitter North. She's explicitly the Great Druid of somewhere. She likes seashores and beaches especially, the module says.

Hey if I had to cover the Northern Barrens, the lands of the wolf and tiger nomads and Blackmoor and the Land of Black Ice, I'd like hanging out on the warm shores of the Dramidj Sea, as well :-) ...

Kwint
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:13 am  
    Sverdras Meno

Sverdras Meno was a great and powerful druid who once lived in and cared for the Menowood, according to the LGG (page 141). The Menowood now takes its name from him.
    Sverdras Meno is still around. According to Living Greyhawk Journal #0, he is now Hierophant Sverdras Meno, "a powerful being who oversees the vast Azure Sea. He is thought to be a member of the mysterious Cabal, a congregation of the Old Faith even more enigmatic than the Circle of Eight." Meno is known to consort with Drawmij, and is the previous owner of Drawmij's current underwater demesne.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:59 am  
    Sverdras Meno part 2

Upon further research, it looks like Sverdras Meno is probably a member of the Hierophants of the Cabal.
    If this is true, it would make him a former Grand Druid.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:52 am  
    Re: Sverdras Meno part 2

crash72ndst wrote:
    Upon further research, it looks like Sverdras Meno is probably a member of the Hierophants of the Cabal.
    If this is true, it would make him a former Grand Druid.

Yes, but one of the few we may know by name.

IIRC, Immonara was stated as being a Hierophant of Berei, but as a Priest of Berei, not a Druid, in Ivid the Undying.

Kwint

Last edited by kwint on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 am  

DriveByPoster wrote:
    There is some Druidy stuff in the back story for "The Standing Stone". It is non-specific in location but I have put it in the Suss Forest & some of the description in the module suits this.

The adventure states that the druids in the area were destroyed by Ashardalon, the Red Dragon but one alone, Dydd by name, survived. Dydd created the spell "Create Faux Human", which is a 5th level spell. this would make him 9th level at the least & I think it would be reaonable to extrapolate that he was of higher level given the cirumstances.

Bastion of Broken Souls says that Dydd was a legendary female druid who lived a thousand years ago, and that one of the PCs should be her descendant. The Standing Stone also uses female pronouns to refer to Dydd.

TwiceBorn did a nice job incorporating those modules into the history of the Flanaess in this Canonfire! article.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 pm  

Thank'ee! Duly noted. :)
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:27 pm  

Here's a couple more from Hommlet;

Jaroo Ashstaff [Druid 7] - T1
    Smith [Druid 3] - T1
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:28 pm  

Wolfling wrote:
    Here's a couple more from Hommlet;

Jaroo Ashstaff [Druid 7] - T1
    Smith [Druid 3] - T1

It would have been nice if they had advanced Jaroo’s story so he became a Druid or Archdruid, but I believe they went another way in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Kwint
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: