Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Stone Circles of the Flanaess?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Stone Circles of the Flanaess?
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:27 pm  
    Stone Circles of the Flanaess?

Do we have an inventory of stone circles, dolmens, henges, and suchlike edifices in the Flanaess, in the real-world traditions of Stonehenge and Avebury?

I have found these thus far:

- the famous Tovag Baragu
    - the infamous hidden circles and barrow from the end of Saga of Old City (and summarized by Krista Siren at https://greyhawkonline.com/greyhawk/#cairn on GHO)
    - the druidical circle from the City of Greyhawk boxed set
    - Ogremeet from the tAB map booklet
    - perhaps Darkbridge Temple (tAB)
    - circles mentioned in passing near Lake Udrukankar
    - the Singing Stones of the Vesve
    - the Causeway if Fiends (from Ivid), perhaps

What others am I missing?

Allan.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:51 pm  

The Twisted Forest in the Pomarj.

Possibly the Screaming Valley in the Cairn Hills, though I think those "stone monoliths" are supposed to be of relatively natural origin.

The "circles mentioned in passing near Lake Udrukankar" are Tovag Baragu.

The Circle of Cahervaniel from The Shattered Circle by Bruce Cordell. "The Circle of Cahervaniel, so named by early Suloise settlers, is a simple ring of crudely carved (or much eroded) standing stones measuring some 20 yards in diameter."

The double stone circle surrounding the village of Ossington in The Standing Stone by John D. Rateliff.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:04 pm  

Each of the Star Cairns has a dolmen-like entrance but, being Suel in origin, I guess these would be considered mock-dolmens. Although they are constructed along leylines, the look & feel is a stylistic choice of the builder rather than having any association with other 'genuine' stone monuments.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 am  

There is one just outside the Istvin city walls in Sterich according to Dungeon Magazine 117's city guide, Istvin: City of Shadows...

Kwint
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 am  

...and the Moonarch of Sehanine northwest of Enstad in the Kron Hills and Oakvein, Archdruid's Grove and Harrowstone in the Gnarley Forest on Anna's Maps...

Kwint
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:20 am  

I would generally recommend going over Anna's Online Map with a fine tooth come and you'll come up with many locales to question Happy ...

Kwint
    GreySage

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:25 am  

I suppose Atienne's Grove from WG10 Child's Play is another example. "When the PCs arrive at the druid’s grove, they see a large hill with ancient oak trees growing on its slopes. The hill is crowned with an ancient ring of monoliths arranged in an oval." It's supposed to be three days' ride away from wherever Rhesdain is in the Yatil Mountains.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:34 am  

Oh, and the Maze of Menhirs on Tilagos Island in the Nyr Dyv, as detailed in "The Library of Lost Resort" in Dragon #132.

The Faerie Court of Rings in the Welkwood.

And conceivably the Blood Obelisk of Aerdy in the Gull Cliffs.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 pm  

One would assume that the County of Ulek would be riddled with 'em and that there would be one somewhere in the Dreadwood where Great Druid Reynard Yargrove resides...

Kwint
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 pm  

How canon do you want to be, Allan? Paul Stormberg mentioned several in his “The Old Faith” article for OJ #15.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:25 pm  

The map of the ruins of Skorane in tAB map book (page 11) shows what may be a stone circle in the middle of Skorane, surrounding the common pond.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:14 pm  

Though it doesn't take the appearance of a megalith or stone circle, the Fountain of Good Health from L1 The Secret of Bone Hill seems to have some connection to them.

From the module: "Upon command it can view other druid places of worship. Those known to Almax can be specifically called forth. Upon seeing the location the Fountain can teleport up to six persons as they step into the waters. Each such figure must be touched by the druid who calls forth the image in the pool."

It seems to me that a magical fountain that teleports people to "other druid places of worship" very likely is able to transport them to standing stones, menhirs, stone circles and the like throughout the Flanaess. The Fountain may in fact be one of the "Ways of the World" described in Eric Menge's Druids of the Old Faith article at WotC's website.
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:52 pm  

Thanks for the input everyone! :)

I’m not particularly worried about canon as much as interesting ideas with, and locations for, stone circles, et al. That said, I am focused on ones located on the Prime, rather than in demi-planes/Fading Lands, at the moment.

I’ll dig further into all of these sites, as well as Paul’s OJ article, too.

Allan.

Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:55 pm  

grodog wrote:
    I’m not particularly worried about canon as much as interesting ideas with, and locations for, stone circles, et al. That said, I am focused on ones located on the Prime, rather than in demi-planes/Fading Lands, at the moment.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh asserts that the town of Burle features a sacred grove with one or more treants in its center.

IMC, Courwood features a large hill in its center, which seats a natural amphitheater that menhirs partially surround.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: