JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - City of Thornward
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    City of Thornward
    Novice

Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:21 pm  
    City of Thornward

I was curious if anyone had a map of the City of Thornward, if so could you email it to me? Smile If not, does anyone know where I could get one?Thank you in advance!
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Mon May 31, 2021 1:08 pm  
    Re: City of Thornward

Darastrix wrote:
    I was curious if anyone had a map of the City of Thornward, if so could you email it to me? Smile If not, does anyone know where I could get one?Thank you in advance!

18 years and still no map of Thornward. We need a city mapping project.
    GreySage

Mon May 31, 2021 7:52 pm  

(made using Watabou's Medieval City Generator)
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:35 am  

rasgon wrote:

(made using Watabou's Medieval City Generator)

I was thinking abut Wata's generator for such a project. I havent looked up Thornward but I'm sure Rasgon has and matched the map to the description.

Last edited by JasonZavoda on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:06 pm  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    I havent looked up Thornward but I'm sure Rasgon has and matched the map to the description.

I tried my best, though I improvised most of it, changing the randomly generated names to feel more appropriate. I noticed today that Living Greyhawk had more detail, including named city wards, so I made a new map that incorporated that.

Here's the Living Greyhawk version of Thornward, or at least my interpretation of it:

(I cheated a little bit: according to the March of Bissel Omnibus, the Upper Tier, Castle District, and March Quarter are different names for the same ward, but I needed a name for the area on the southwest side of the Fals River, so I labeled that the March Quarter and the Upper Tier/Castle District is the district near the castle. During the period when the city's control was divided between Ket, the Gran March, Veluna, and Bissel, assume the Gran March had control of both the March Quarter and Upper Tier.)

March of Bissel Omnibus wrote:
    The Crook Quarter (formerly the Docks Quarter, also known as the Veluna Quarter): During the negotiations that divided Thornward, Veluna quickly secured for itself one of the most lucrative portions of Thornward: the northeastern portion along which run the majority of the dock areas. Much of the river traffic flowing along the Fals River stops at Thornward, to either unload or resupply, and the officials from Veluna certainly seemed to have an eye on lucrative dock fees and tariffs. After Veluna took over this area, it was renamed the Crook Quarter in honor of the famous holy relic, the Crook of Rao. However, the Crook Quarter has taken on a double meaning; the docks area is home to the substantial majority of the criminal element in Thornward.

The Depot: This area of the city is just outside the city proper, and thus armies stationed here were not subject to the limitation placed by the treaty that created the Thornward Division. In 593 CY, Larrangin began gradually stationing soldiers at this location, claiming it as an important supply depot. Depot is the name this area has taken and it has now been absorbed by the city proper. Where there were once only small tents, now permanent barracks have been erected and large command buildings serve as the nerve center for the Great Army of Bissel. Despite its military bent, the Depot is home to a few storefronts – mostly armorers, weaponsmiths and alehouses.

The Hearth (also known as the Bissel Quarter or the Lower Tier): It was decided during the Thornward Division that Ket and Bissel could not be allowed to administer adjacent portions of the city; the threat of violence between soldiers of the two nations was at the time a very real possibility. Thus Bissel was forced to take the administrative duties of the southeastern portion of the city, known as the Hearth. The Hearth is a sleepy section of the otherwise bustling trade nexus, primarily dotted with residences though a few permanent businesses also dwell here. During festival times, when taverns and inns in other areas of the city are full to capacity, many Thornward residents make some extra coin by opening their homes to travelers. The Hearth is home to the College of Music and Arts, an aristocratic Bardic College with a rather urbane reputation.

The Spice District (also known as the Ket Quarter): Ket laid claim to the northwestern portion of Thornward, which included a small set of docks and some significant entry points. However, the great jewel of the Spice District is the High Market, where the majority of trade occurs. Caravans arrive slightly before sunrise to set up for buyers and trade occurs until midnight, when the Market is ordered closed for the few hours that municipal workers (and sometimes convicts) are ordered to do cleaning detail. Almost anything can be bought here, but the highlight is the many exotic items brought here from the Baklunish West. These include foodstuffs, cloth, and ornate and jeweled weaponry. It is not uncommon for trade here to be conducted in the Ancient Baklunish tongue, and tributes to Mouqol are common among the merchants.

The Upper Tier (also known as the March Quarter or the Castle District): The southwestern area of the city, administered by Gran March during the time of Division, is the oldest area of the city. It features the famed Thornward Keep, which stood empty during Gran March's occupation. The most recent resident of Thornward Keep was the odious Necromancer Evard, who used the keep as the headquarters of a campaign against the March of Bissel. Today the March Quarter is in the most desperate need of repair; the majority of fighting to retake the city occurred here. As the seat of Bissel's government is slated to transfer to Thornward Keep, rebuilding the March Quarter is a high priority for the current government. Among the improvements to the Upper Tier is a newly constructed monument known as Martyr’s Square, dedicated to memorializing those who have sacrificed their lives to the cause of Bissel’s honor and defense. Statues include leaders among the nobility, like Saralind Markavan as well as military heroes, like Nym Greenbottle and Mason Devillers, two soldiers who died in the fight against Evard. Most prominent among these statues is the one commemorating a Margrave of the past, Walgar, who ritualistically committed suicide rather than allow himself to become a puppet ruler under the Ketite occupiers.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: