JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Monarchs of Celene
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Monarchs of Celene
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:21 pm  
    Monarchs of Celene

Besides Yolande, are any other monarchs of Celene cited?

Kwint
    GreySage

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:46 pm  

Prince Melf Brightflame.

SirXaris

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm  

I don't know if this is canon or where I found it:

"Yolande is advised by her chief advisor and cousin, a noble elf named Onselven. Prince Brightflame, better known as Melf, is also a cousin. Yolande has taken a number of Royal Consorts during her reign, the first being Prince Triserron, whose death prompted the Hateful Wars. Her most recent consort is Prince Fasstal Dothmar."

I hope it helps.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 pm  

Here's a reference from something put out by the Theocracy of the Pale triad during LG. No monarch is named other than Celene is ruled by a king:

• c OC 2000/CY -2463 (Phostaldaron LG Pale?) Representatives of grugach of the Phostwood arrive to visit the Elven King of Celene. When the King learns of a spreading corruption in the Phostwood known as the Dark Plague, he asks for volunteers to become the elven protectors of this forest, and hundreds of sylvan elves travel to this ancient, fey woodland and, with the King's blessing, bring with them a sacred elven tree of life, a sapling that grows into what is now called the Taureäla ("Great Wood Spirit"). The Taureäla contains an ancient, mystical magic that, once planted in the heart of the Phostwood, they hope will eradicate the Dark Plague. These sylvan elves join with the grugach elves to become the wards of the woods and manage to contain, though not eradicate, the Dark Plague. The Phostwood and Celene remain in contact with one another.

However, Oerth Journal 1 chronology declares Celene to always have been ruled by a Queen.

Rasgon's Hx of Elves somewhere on Canonfire specifically names the first monarch of Celene as a Queen, but doesn't name her.

Later in the Rasgon hx, we have this, concerning an heir apparent: "—It's not as if peace wasn't attempted. Queen Eniarrol of the Duaral was pledged to marry Prince Aubron Lumi of Celene, a younger son of the Lady Rhalta. If Prince Aubron hadn't died under mysterious circumstances, who is to say what might have happened?"

I have this copied, I think from Living Greyhawk Gazetteer:

After thirteen years of consideration by the Grand Court assembled at Enstad, Queen Astaranthe’s daughter, the Princess Yolande of Bellmeadow, a fey wizard and accomplished warrior, is hailed by the gathered nobles as their brightest hope.

So that at least establishes Yolande's immediate predecessor
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:34 pm  

It's also worth noting that, given the extremely long lifespan of grey elves, it's entirely possible there have only been a half-dozen to a dozen monarchs of Celene. It's highly likely that Yolande's great-grandparents, if not grandparents, had dealings with the Suel Imperium in it's prime.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:24 am  

I can't remember the exact source but I think Living Greyhawk material for the Duchy of Ulek mentions a King Llandrier around -344CY.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:31 am  

So,
    Looks like Yolande is the only Monarch named by narrow canonocity, having been named as current Queen in all the TSR/WOTC products.

Melf Brightflame, although a cousin of the Queen, has never been named as a Monarch of Celene.

The unnamed King of Celene visited by the grugach of the Phostwood seems to indicate that the Monarch need not be female and might be accepted as broad canon.

King Llandrier seems to be from the Oerth Journal and might be accepted as broadest canon.

Queen Astaranthe seems to be from Greyhawk stories. and it's canonocity is left to the GM (as is all canon, yada-yada-yada, Greyhawk).

Rasgon's reference to Prince Aubron comes from the Complete Book of Elves I believe and seems to indicate that the ruling house of Celene during the Elf Strife Wars was that of Lumi, but no name is given for the Queen.

Thanks, All.

Kwint
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: