JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Eclavdra's level in GDQ1-7
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Eclavdra's level in GDQ1-7
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:10 pm  
    Eclavdra's level in GDQ1-7

I've been going through GDQ1-7 since I'm going to be using it in a upcoming campaign. It's been awhile since I've done a close reading of it and discovered something I hadn't noticed before. I did a Google search for errata and didn't come up with what I was looking for.

In G3 Eclavdra is listed as a Cleric/Fighter 10/10 but when you look at here in D3 she is listed as a Cleric/Fighter 10/4. So which one is correct?
    CF Admin

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:19 pm  

It’s definitely something you’ll need to decide for your game. I’ve used both, depending on how you view/depict the drow in general.

The 1e MM mentions them as (emphasis added):

Quote:
    Drow: The “Black Elves,” or drow, are only legend. They purportedly dwell deep beneath the surface in a strange subterranean realm. The drow are said to be as dark as faeries are bright and as evil as the latter are good. Tales picture them as weak fighters but strong magic-users.

Single-classed drow fighters hit levels 7-9 in D3, so a 10/10 cleric/fighter wouldn’t be out of the question, but whether you think Eclavdra should fall into that category depends on your overall vision for the drow, I think.

Allan.[/quote]

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:15 pm  

For what it's worth, Eclavdra is a 23rd lvl single-classed cleric circa CY 591, as per the 3.0 Epic Handbook... if that's of any help.

I do realize that there is no direct relationship between AD&D 1.0 and D&D 3.0 character stats.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:57 am  

Since D3 makes it clear that Eclavdra was either raised or cloned if she died in G3, it could always be that the earlier sample that she was cloned from was Cleric/Fighter 10/4 instead of her more experienced Cleric/Fighter 10/10.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:36 am  

Since 1E didn't allow demihumans to swap between classes the way humans could, I would say that the G3 levels are correct. It's more feasible that Eclavdra could have advanced in both her classes simultaneously than for her to somehow stop advancing as a fighter while continuing as a cleric.

What edition are you using? If you're using 3E or onwards, making Eclavdra a 10th level cleric and 4th level fighter might actually be a feasible idea, since it would make her a formidable challenge to most parties without bordering on epic level. It would also be closer to Gary Gygax's intended level for her. His rule of thumb for considering multiclassed characters in determining how many character levels were suitable for a module was to treat multiclassers as two or three levels higher than their highest level, depending on if they had two or three classes.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:43 am  

I did a bit of research by pulling out my PHB and Unearthed Arcana. According to the PHB a 10th level Cleric would have between 450,001 to 675,000 exp and a 10th level fighter would have between 500,001 tp 750,000 exp. Unearthed Arcana allowes female Drow to be Cleric/Fighters U/10. So my guess would be that the stat block for Eclavdra in the D3 reprint in GDQ1-7 is a misprint. Does anyone have original printings of G3 and D3 to do a comparison?

Yes I am going to be running in 3e but when I run a conversion I like to make it as close to possible to the original version. For 3e using the 2e to 3e conversion guide, Eclavdra would be a Cleric/Fighter 10/3 if one used the levels from G3.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:11 pm  

It’s worth noting that in the original G3, Eclavdra is described as a “10th level cleric/fighter”. The implication seems to be that she’s 10th level in each class, and the G3 chapter of GDQ 1–7 was the first to state 10/10 explicitly, but maybe that wasn’t the intent. The original D3 shows her as 10/4, as does the D3 chapter of GDQ 1–7.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:14 pm  

Personally, I think that if you are using any edition of D&D up to 2nd Ed., you should consider her a C/F 10/10. If you are using any edition of D&D 3.0 or later, or are using Pathfinder rules, you should consider her a C/F 10/4.

If you are using the later editions/Pf, those levels equal, and even exceed, the power she would have as a C/F 10/10 in earlier editions.

SirXaris
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: