ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Osson raid
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Osson raid
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 01, 2022 6:11 am  
    Osson raid

Hello
    I never liked the story of the Osson raid. While recently reading Greyhawk Musings (remarkable work), I read that the Scarlet Brotherhood takeover of the Lordship of the Isles caused the end of the Osson raid to fail. And there! I think of the end of the Spartacus raid. Lots of similarities! Can you confirm this source of inspiration from David Cook?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 07, 2022 6:48 am  

Here's a topic from 2004 that discusses Osson of Almor and (maybe?) contemplating a drive to Rauxes: http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=365

Sure enough:
    "Ossan met his end when he trusted the Lordship of the Isles to extract his forces by ship. Once the lordship went over to the Scarlet Brotherhood, Ossan was stranded and he met his death at the Flanmi River in the attempt to flee to the Hestmark Highlands."
    Forum Moderator

Sat May 07, 2022 2:50 pm  

Timely topic! We had discussed this in the Canonfire Discord just last night. I haven't studied this even as closely as GH Musings has, but yes if the original author was inspired by Spartacus or real history then that redeems what was a disappointing storyline for Almor. It only gets worse for Almor after Osson fails, so did he do it for nothing?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 08, 2022 4:46 am  

mortellan wrote:
    Timely topic! We had discussed this in the Canonfire Discord just last night. I haven't studied this even as closely as GH Musings has, but yes if the original author was inspired by Spartacus or real history then that redeems what was a disappointing storyline for Almor. It only gets worse for Almor after Osson fails, so did he do it for nothing?

That sounds like some classic tragedy, right there.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 08, 2022 6:51 am  
    Osson's raid

TregMallin wrote :
    Here's a topic from 2004 that discusses Osson of Almor and (maybe?) contemplating a drive to Rauxes: http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=365

Thank you Tregmallin.
    Joe Katzman's point of view helps to better understand this raid which seems suicidal :

"Ivid's commitment to despoiling Medegia thus removed his mightiest army from combat for some time. It also finally pushed the populace to sympathizing with Meural and his outlaws. As time passed, his support, and the damage his troops did, grew accordingly. Osson and Meural's raid accomplished much for Almor: detsroying the Glorioles Army, redirecting the Aerdi army to conquest of Medegia, and providing Almor time to raise armies and fortifications. Even so, Almoran resistance ultimately proved futile. The Overking - with Ahlissa, Medegia (what loyal parts remained of it), the North Province, and the Bone March at his side - unleashed all his might against the hapless Prelacy."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:49 pm  

TregMallin wrote:
    mortellan wrote:

That sounds like some classic tragedy, right there.

I am currently translating articles from DRAGON magazine concerning the beginnings of the Geyhawk Wars. I always thought that some elements came from David "Zeb" Cook (Raid of Osson, the death of Tenser and Otiluke...) But reading DRAGON 63 surprises me: "The current attempt to dismember the Iron League, with the counter-action in South Province, seems to place Almor in an unavoidable position where she can do little but call up all of her forces and hope to take the fighting to the Aerdi before they can march into Almor."
    This could mean that David "Zeb" Cook simply took an idea from EGG or Rob Kuntz and transposed that idea into the Raid of Osson (possibly with inspiration from Spartacus).
    Your opinion ?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am  

Docjacques wrote:
    ...reading DRAGON 63 surprises me: "The current attempt to dismember the Iron League, with the counter-action in South Province, seems to place Almor in an unavoidable position where she can do little but call up all of her forces and hope to take the fighting to the Aerdi before they can march into Almor."

This could mean that David "Zeb" Cook simply took an idea from EGG or Rob Kuntz and transposed that idea into the Raid of Osson (possibly with inspiration from Spartacus).
    Your opinion ?

-Evidence that Zeb Cook actually bothered to read anything other than the bare minimum of Greyhawk lore before he decided to blow everything up? Huh.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:46 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Docjacques wrote:
    ...reading DRAGON 63 surprises me: "The current attempt to dismember the Iron League, with the counter-action in South Province, seems to place Almor in an unavoidable position where she can do little but call up all of her forces and hope to take the fighting to the Aerdi before they can march into Almor."

Your opinion ?

-Evidence that Zeb Cook actually bothered to read anything other than the bare minimum of Greyhawk lore before he decided to blow everything up? Huh.

A few memories of bitter discussions ?

The translation allowed me to note some forgotten elements:
    1) It is the kingdom of Nyrond and Almor who declares war on the Great Kingdom in 578 CY
    2) The Wizard, the Crystal Floating City and the Crystal Ship (Dragon 65). I read your previous discussion with Leomund. I like the idea of an Archmage Leomund and an island named after Lendor
    3) Emasstus Carcosa, a high priest of Pholtus denounces the madness of Ivid in the Dragon 59. It is stated that this religion has establishments in many temples in and around the capital. Not all is evil in the Great Kingdom.
    Jacques Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: