Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Collector's Trove Presents the Robert J Kuntz Collection
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Collector's Trove Presents the Robert J Kuntz Collection
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2005 8:18 pm  
    The Collector's Trove Presents the Robert J Kuntz Collection

Howdy Folks,

Just posted the first announcement of this auction: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1280&sid=f50e9e49e2427e5cbd761542cf94a29b

It's been a lot of hard work so far but there are some true relics of the game and some Holy Grails for Greyhawk collectors. Over 200 lots!

I just thought I'd post this link for any discussions or questions you might have.

Futures Bright,

Paul
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2005 8:20 pm  

There is a forum here on CF for sales and trades, you know.

Wed May 11, 2005 8:30 pm  

Howdy,

chatdemon wrote:

Exactly! This is for discussion of the items, nay relics, in the auction, which you will discover are very central to Greyhawk. Smile

Futures Bright,

Paul
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 11, 2005 9:44 pm  

stormber wrote:
    Howdy,

chatdemon wrote:

Exactly! This is for discussion of the items, nay relics, in the auction, which you will discover are very central to Greyhawk. Smile

Well, considering the author, I doubt I will agree, but... Smile

Anyway, sorry if my prior post sounded rude, I was just mentioning the Collectors Corner forum in case you or others missed it. Been a long day, no offense intended.

Wed May 11, 2005 9:50 pm  

And why is RJK selling off all his stuff? Shocked
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 12, 2005 12:27 am  

This is an amazing auction!!

(Any estimations on how the bid is going to get?)

Anyway, I personally am interested on his unpublished manuscripts and notes.

There was a draft on Tharizdun and Plantmaster, amazing material

Thu May 12, 2005 5:20 am  

WARNING - On E-bay, one of the absolutely worst sellers is a guy who goes by Eastern Treasure TROVE or the like. Personally, I bid on nothing that comes from a seller using the word "trove."

I do not know this seller and I pass no judgment on this auction. I do warn that the name is similar to known an E-bay scammer.

Maybe it would be nice to get Mr. Kuntz to "validate" this auction as he is online at Dragonsfoot etc.

Look before you leap. Always a good thought.

Thu May 12, 2005 8:19 am  

Howdy,

GVDammerung wrote:
    WARNING - On E-bay, one of the absolutely worst sellers is a guy who goes by Eastern Treasure TROVE or the like. Personally, I bid on nothing that comes from a seller using the word "trove."

I do not know this seller and I pass no judgment on this auction. I do warn that the name is similar to known an E-bay scammer.

Maybe it would be nice to get Mr. Kuntz to "validate" this auction as he is online at Dragonsfoot etc.

Look before you leap. Always a good thought.

Dude. You need to THINK before you leap. Thanks for the potentially damaging email. The guy you refer to is the Eastern Treasure CHEST and now goes by the name jonb. You could have followed the link to my eBay username and my feedback rating before posting. Clearly I am not the man you speak of.

I have been a member of GreyTalk since 1995, have written several articles for the OJ, and have posted on this forum a number of times. (You could have checked that too.) I run the Collector's Trove Auctions that have brought items from the collections of Dave Sutherland III, Steve Marsh, Tim Jiardini, and now Rob Kuntz.

I am a well respected collector, member of the Acaeum collector's website, Pied Piper Publishing website (Rob's website), GygaxTalk list, and member of the Greyhawk online community for the last 10 years. My eBay feedback shows that I have never ripped off anyone and have sold hundreds of rare items.

To everyone, I am running this auction on behalf of Rob Kuntz for the benefit of Rob Kuntz. The items and myself are authentic.

Futures Bright,

Paul Stormberg
    The Collector's Trove
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 12, 2005 8:32 am  

Howdy,

mortellan wrote:
    And why is RJK selling off all his stuff? Shocked

Rob is hoping to raise a large amount of cash to begin a serious RPG publishing company that will allow him to publish his vast collection of unfinished products. Basically to pick up where Creations Unlimited left off in the late 80's.

He still retains intellectual property rights to these items but is selling some of the physical artifacts.

My favorite item is the 1972 map created after an adventure run by Gary. Their idea was to create fictional stories from previously played games. Rob sat down and drew out the map for the adventure after it had been played! This adventure was run by Gary two weeks after he, Ernie, and Rob went up to see Dave Arneson to play in Castle Blackmoor using modified Chainmail rules. Thus this map is a relic of the creation of D&D.

Another fantastic item is the Bottle City "level" from the original Greyhawk Castle. It's an entire dungeon level inside a bottle!

Futures Bright,

Paul
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 12, 2005 10:11 am  

stormber wrote:

Rob is hoping to raise a large amount of cash to begin a serious RPG publishing company that will allow him to publish his vast collection of unfinished products. Basically to pick up where Creations Unlimited left off in the late 80's.

Has Rob ever heard of trying to woo investors and raise capital in a tradtional way? A company founded on the couple thousand dollars he might get for this pile of books is doomed to fail when it comes time to pay the bills again and there's no more goodies left to sell off.

With Rob's name, he should have no trouble attracting investors if he has a decent product worked up.

A big "if", I suppose.

Thu May 12, 2005 12:09 pm  

I can say that Paul (Stormberg) has been selling old gaming "troves" for people whom used to be in the business for a long time. Legit.

Thu May 12, 2005 12:09 pm  

stormber wrote:
    Howdy,

Dude. You need to THINK before you leap. Thanks for the potentially damaging email. The guy you refer to is the Eastern Treasure CHEST and now goes by the name jonb. You could have followed the link to my eBay username and my feedback rating before posting. Clearly I am not the man you speak of.

I have been a member of GreyTalk since 1995, have written several articles for the OJ, and have posted on this forum a number of times. (You could have checked that too.) I run the Collector's Trove Auctions that have brought items from the collections of Dave Sutherland III, Steve Marsh, Tim Jiardini, and now Rob Kuntz.

I am a well respected collector, member of the Acaeum collector's website, Pied Piper Publishing website (Rob's website), GygaxTalk list, and member of the Greyhawk online community for the last 10 years. My eBay feedback shows that I have never ripped off anyone and have sold hundreds of rare items.

To everyone, I am running this auction on behalf of Rob Kuntz for the benefit of Rob Kuntz. The items and myself are authentic.

Futures Bright,

Paul Stormberg
    The Collector's Trove

Hi Paul,

I think I said - "I do not know this seller and I pass no judgment on this auction." Why, yes. I did.

You will have to forgive me but I have a very large unfamiliarity with Greytalk, and Canonfire is not Greytalk. You will also have to forgive me because your name is entirely unfamiliar to me.

If I may be so bold - YOU came in hear pushing what you acknowledge to be a commercial venture in a Forum not normally devoted to commercial activities. I suggested that people might want look into your credentials before considering bidding, hardly novel or extreme advice, and I briefly outlined why I thought so. Under these circumstances, I do not feel it was incumbent upon me to establish YOUR bone fides, particularly given the caveats I attached to my post, making clear that I was uncertain that the person I was thinking of was one and the same with the immediate seller.

Given that you know of whom I spoke and given that the internet is constantly evolving, with people coming and going, it would seem that YOU might consider doing more than simply posting your commercial broadside. Given that Rob Kuntz posts to a number of message boards having to do with Greyhawk, he could have posted something as easily.

I don't buy a pig in a poke and I don't blythely assume that every poke is free of pigs. You want customers not already familiar with your business and yourself? I suggest you act like a business and promote yourself accordingly, rather than assuming you are so well known as to be beyond question.

If this doesn't make sense to you, I am sorry.

Thu May 12, 2005 12:15 pm  

abysslin wrote:
    I can say that Paul (Stormberg) has been selling old gaming "troves" for people whom used to be in the business for a long time. Legit.

Thanks, Abyss. Smile Now, THIS kind of information is actually useful. A testimonial from someone I trust. A blanket - "I got famous stuff for sale" - raises nothing but alarm bells if one has no prior knowledge or experience with the seller.

Thu May 12, 2005 12:18 pm  

I suggest the Acaeum Forums for anybody looking to acquire/bid on old school and/or super rare stuffs.

They are generally very knowledgeable about all items in existence and the credentials of any online seller including all of those on ebay and Mr. Stormberg as well, I'm sure.

l8r.

Thu May 12, 2005 1:31 pm  

Paul Stormberg has been a member of the community since the dawn of the time (when Greyhawk fans crawled out of the muck and onto the dry land of the internet), I can vouch for that as well.

-Gary

P.S. I couldn't dream of selling anything but second copies of my collection. They are cherished tomes, soda stains, pre-teen doodles and all. Its a shame Rob has to sell, but good luck!
    CF Admin

Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 pm  

Just to help fill out some of Paul's info, Rob's not a sentimental guy, so he has no qualms about selling the stuff that Paul is auctioning: this isn't a move of desperation by any means :D

Thu May 19, 2005 10:09 pm  

PSmedger wrote:

P.S. I couldn't dream of selling anything but second copies of my collection. They are cherished tomes, soda stains, pre-teen doodles and all. Its a shame Rob has to sell, but good luck!

I know the feeling there. I've bought a number of lots on eBay recently to get specific items to complete my GH collection--and ended up with a number of duplicates of classic GH modules that are in better condition than the ones I bought new 25 years ago (boy am I dating myself here Happy). Many of those duplicates are in far better condition than my originals--yet I would never consider throwing away or selling off my originals to keep someone else's NM copy (tho I might keep the NM copy as a spare). My originals, with my pencil marks, expansions, notes and changes are too dear to part with.

Silly and childish I'm sure, but I won't apologize and I won't change Happy

Theala
    CF Admin

Sun May 22, 2005 2:07 pm  

New GH items added to the auctions, including original manuscripts, maps, GH PC character sheets, etc.

Mon May 23, 2005 1:02 pm  

Hey Theala, I agree with you 100%. I too have lots of duplicates thanks to trying to round out my collection, and they are in much better condition than my own.

Funny, when I now play one of those modules, I'll actually use the newer one because I don't want my old 'baby' to be damaged any further. I'll flip through it carefully, taking note of any notes I've made, and then transfer those notes to the new book. Heck, I feel like I should be wearing archival gloves, but I've just got too much of my childhood wrapped up in those old books to risk spilling a soda on them, even though they've got years of stains already.
    CF Admin

Mon May 23, 2005 10:41 pm  

FWIW, I use most of my stuff, though the rarer items are kept bagged, etc., when they're not in use.

Mon May 23, 2005 11:47 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    I don't buy a pig in a poke and I don't blythely assume that every poke is free of pigs.

If I read this right, I think GVD, you are not quite using the pig in the poke expression correctly. I bring this up because it may be interesting to DM's who like to use such phrases to give their games Ye Olde Medieveal Times Flavour (TM).

You seem to think that getting a pig is a BAD thing. Actually, the pig is what you are trying to buy. The problem with buying a pig in a poke (bag) is that if you don't look in the bag, you don't know that you are really getting a pig. Someone could be trying to fool you. "Buying a pig in a poke" means buying without checking what you are getting.

So when you say "I don't buy a pig in a poke" that means you don't buy something without checking it out first, which is good.

But when you then say "I don't blythely assume that every poke is free of pigs." you are actually saying that you don't assume that every deal is absent of honesty. What I think you are trying to say is that you don't assume that every deal is free of cheating. So it would be more correct to say "I don't blythely assume that every poke HAS A pig."

Again, the problem with buying a pig in a poke is that maybe it doesn't have the pig you wanted to buy. In fact, the unscrupulous merchant may have substituted a cat. If you actually check the poke before you buy, you will discover the secret prematurely, or, as they say, LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG.

The pig in the poke expression dates from the 16th century at least and the cat out of the bag from the 18th (though merchants were selling cats as pigs long before that).

http://www.wordorigins.org/homepage.htm has both expressions.

BTW, the poke meaning bag ultimately comes from old french and has the same origin as pocket. I would bet it is the same orign as "pokee" meaning jail. And Pokemon, which is Japanese borrowing of POcKEt MONster.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.&nbsp; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 27, 2005 5:27 am  

grodog wrote:
    FWIW, I use most of my stuff, though the rarer items are kept bagged, etc., when they're not in use.

Almost all of my GH stuff is in archival quality bags and boards now, even my old beat up stuff, with the exception of the boxed sets and real books (like Greyhawk Adventures). While I do have duplicates of a few things, most of it is either irreplacable or too cost prohibitive to replace.

I recently got my hands on module L3 in mint condition, and felt like I needed to be wearing cotton gloves to handle it. It's a nice little adventure, but it's not that great. But I'll never get my hands on another, so I know I have to take care of it.

Theala
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:33 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    You will also have to forgive me because your name is entirely unfamiliar to me.

Man, you know Tzelios and you do not know Paul Stormberg ?!!?

By the way, what is it going on with the completion of the auction? The auction has ended 2 days ago, and we winners, have heard no word from Paul so far.

Paul will you send us the confidentiality contracts first?

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:43 am  

I got reply from Paul. He is busy with the packaging of the items of this huge auction.

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:53 pm  

For those curious about the auction results, Rob's items raised about $20,000; details are in the Acaeum thread at http://www.acaeum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2171&start=160

Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:00 pm  
    Shipping

grodog wrote:
    For those curious about the auction results, Rob's items raised about $20,000;
    I was happy to particpate and win a few items. But gosh, shipping was a bit steep. For one item, shipping was three times the cost of the item won. But, I am happy to support Rob Kuntz. He has always been kind to me, and I hope this endeavor of his works out. Paul S. has a lot of packaging to do. I hope he's not doing that all by himself.

Sean K Reynolds had a big auction, too. But I lost every on every bid, lol. His Forgotten Realms items (which I was bidding on) was in serious demand.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: