Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - War in Greyhawk...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    War in Greyhawk...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:00 pm  
    War in Greyhawk...

In the campaign I am currently running my players have reached the levels that some are starting to accumulate land and are building their own armies. Its just a matter of time before they start a war among themselves. Which I don’t mind being a old player that still has fond memories of the War of the Lance in Krynn. I’m looking for advice on game systems for mass battle, I heard that the old battle system can be converted to 3.5 but have not found anything online about it so far. Also what do you think about war in Greyhawk? All of your thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Thank you Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:48 pm  

I dunno, but if there's a good large scale battlesystem that somebody knows of, I'd like to hear it too. Didn't like TSR's old school Battlesystem very much - anyone got something better?

As an aside, Nelson, kudos to you for carrying on a campaign where the players openly war with one another. Cool
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:15 am  

Try looking at the d20 product called "War", it's good. There are rules for mass combat, 15 new prestige classes, rules for siege engines, new feats, spell and magic items, unit compositions and strategies and lots more.

The product is from Alderac Entertainment Group.

www.alderac.com
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:22 am  

Personally, I didn't like War a good book regarding the game mechanics but I've read some positive reviews about Monte Cook's Cry Havoc. I haven't read it, though.

Victor Caminha
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:08 am  

What would be ideal for me is anything that doesn't go hand-in-hand with V3.5, as the campaign I run uses a mix of rules from 2nd and 3rd edition... was hoping for just a generalized combat system. Oh well, maybe I'll check that out anyway, thanks for the suggestion...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:44 am  

btgrover, the Birthright setting had a mass combat system. I only used it once like 10 years ago for my Greyhawk campaign at the time. I don't remember much about it other than it was quick and fairly easy to use. I'll have to dig through some boxes to see if I can find it. Alternatively, you could download the Birthright basic setting from svgames to get the rules if you're interested.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:46 pm  

War. War is good. War comes when peace through superior firepower fails.

I'd like some good mass combat rules. maybe if Iquander shows up Thursday, we can get him to print some official ones in Dragon.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:01 pm  

Thanks btgrover, I have been playing 25 years and I seen war in Krynn the Forgotten Realms but this will be a first for me in Greyhawk. I also want to thank the rest of you for your advice. I will check out the AEG War, see if it works thanks again. Soon I will be posting for more info on the Knights of the Hart, who’s in charge? How many knights are there? What’s the unit break down etc. Thanks again.
    Lord Nelson. Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:11 am  

If you find a good mass combat system (especially for 3.5), let me know. I purchased AEG's "War" and was hugely disappointed with it. 144 pages total, only about 4 useful. And I suppose it's possible I was lobotomized when I wasn't looking, but large tracts of the text just don't make any sense. When I tried the rules they laid out, their system didn't mesh together right and the whole endeavor fell apart. I think a lot of it has to do with editing errors, but the book seems to have been thrown together and run through a spell check... nothing more.

In short, if you find ANY system out there, it's bound to be better than "War".

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:17 am  

Spugnoir wrote:
    btgrover, the Birthright setting had a mass combat system.

That's the only one I can think of that I actually enjoyed using. It's quite simple. The only problem I have with it is the difficulty in coming up with stats for new types of combat units--just basically "make up what you think is right."
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: