Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:56 am  
Greyhacking Continues in the Nutherwood (N2) Part IV

Part IV.

-------- This Week --------

I took my own advice and upgraded the N2 module with the following:

Area A. The Rusted Drawbridge.

I added a Shambling Mound and made is so the 571 pound Half-Ogre member of the party would fall through the quite old (and probably rotted) drawbridge. A Shambling Mound was waiting at the bottom. It was a great opportunity for the party to get rid of it's Control-Plant potion, and they did.

Once over that obstacle. The party splits up as follows and characters go to specific towers individually. Perfect! Once stated, I call it so that each instance is run separately.

Left Front Tower.

Damien goes there. I modified it so the collapsed roof still covers the first floor and it is dark and musty. So Damien lights a torch and goes in. I had added 5 Phycomids from which he takes two hits.

He runs screaming in pain back outside, for which there are no party members to arrive in time to help. They "think" they cure him, but he will be past the point of no return 5 turns later.

Right Rear Tower.

The lone Fighter had gone here. I had placed a simple pit trap with 34 Ver'men (little Hackmaster 1-1 HD creatures with Darts and Knives.) He fell into the pit and took enough damage after the darts to send him to -1 hit points. Fortunately for him, Thanos (who had gone to the only intact Right Front Tower) hears him yell by the time he was making it to the top of the stairs. Thanos makes it back to drive off the little Ver'men, taking two prisoners. Healing will work on him as advertised.

Left Rear Tower.

I had the door to this tower padlocked and added an Otyugh. Justifying it by having the Goblins keep it there for waste disposal. They had brought it in when it was young. Most of the party members had gone here. I had informed the party about the smell, so one of the members decides to throw a stone over the wall inside the tower. The stone comes back. After a fierce battle of thrown objects, returned mostly covered in goo the party decides to break the door and rush whatever is inside. They win the battle but one failed his Constitution check for catching a disease.

Right Front Tower. Area C. Empty. Goblin Leader's areas. Yes they got fooled by the chest trap holding the dirty laundry.

Area B. The Shed and Rot Grubs. Of course a member of the party gets bitten by the 2 of the Rot Grubs, they burn them off just in time...

About this time Damien starts sprouting mushrooms and turns into a Phycomid, since he had less than 10 hit points left it only took one more turn. He goes by the Phycomid movement rate into the tower with his new brethren before the sunshine takes its toll.

The party wisely decides to leave him alone.

Area D. The Worg shed. The Worgs are out according to the script. Ignored by party.

Area E. Two female prisoners. Rescued without much ado.

Area F. Goblin barracks. Nothing to report.

Area G. Storage room with skinned deer hanging. Ignored by party.

Area H. Large jars of coins and Giant Rats. Rats defeated. Bag of Transmuting taken of course.

Thereupon the party finally decides to leave (upon prodding by the rescued prisoners.)

While en route along the path, I added the two Tigers from the Wandering monster table in the hopes they would waste the Scroll of Were-Tiger Control. They don't take the bait. They do manage to kill one of the two tigers and knock the 2nd one unconscious. They'll have something to answer for when they make it to the High Druid.

They finally make it to the High Druid none having more than 10 hit points left.
With some mitigating argument from the rescued girls the party is not treated too harshly and are healed by the High Druid and crew.

Question: Why the detailed map in N2 regarding the High Druid's area but no Key except for where they meet him and the entrance? Odd.

The High Druid of course gives them the task of cleaning out the Goblins so they can get the cure for the blight which will take place next week.

-------- Notes --------

Party Update cast of Characters:

Thanos: Level 1 Berserker Half-Ogre, munchkinized. He once was level 3 but got level drained back to 1.

Sable: Level 1 Cleric of Iuz, sidekick of Thanos acquired when he was Level 2.

June-Bug: Level 2/2 Ranger/Druid of Obad-Hai, munchinized.

Bundisha: Level 1 Earth-Elementalist, sidekick of June-Bug.

Montague: Level 1 Magic User.

Berlin: Level 1 Fighter.

Remington: Level 1 Bard.

Damien: Level 1 Barbarian, Half-Orc.

Jim: Level 1 Thief (just rolled up at end of session.)