Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Origin of the hero-god Kuroth?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Origin of the hero-god Kuroth?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:28 am  
    Origin of the hero-god Kuroth?

Anyone know the origin of the hero-god Koruth?

One of my players (Setanta) was thinking of taking him has his non-cleric PC's god. He got it from the Living Greyhawk god index on the RPG web site. Here's what sent me; I'm interested in knowing if this god is canon, and if so, where he's referenced (or if this is just a LG thing).

Ken

--

Kuroth

Sex: (m)

Symbol: A gold coin with the symbol of a key on it or a quill

Rank and Areas of Concern: Hero-God of Theft and Treasure-Finding

Followers: Oeridian and commonly accepted across all the Flanaess

Alignment: CN

Domains: Chaos, Luck, Trickery

Prestige Domains: Celerity, Madness, Summoning

Weapon: Dagger, rapier (m)

Weapon of the Deity Spell: +1 shock dagger
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:21 am  

There's an artifact named Kuroth's Quill. It was in the 1E DMG IIRC, and later in the 2E book of artifacts and Encyclopedia magica.
    The legendary person/hero-deity Kuroth first appears in Living Greyhawk Journal #3 AFAIK. (It could of course be that he is already mentioned in one of the artifact descriptions, but i believe not.)

Quote:
    LIVING GREYHAWK Journal [Volume 1, Number 3; Spring 591 CY, February 2001]
    Cover: The noble Azor’alq battling the demon lords Munkir and Nekir at the gates of Heaven. Painted by Justin Sweet.
    Special Feature: Official LIVING GREYHAWK Character Record Sheets.

Articles
    The Blood of Heroes
    By Sean K Reynolds, Fred Weining and Erik Mona
    Contains information on Azor’alq, Charmalaine, Daern, Daoud, Gadhelyn, Gendwar Argrim, Johydee, Kelanen, Keoghtom, Kuroth, Kyuss, Murlynd, Nazarn, Roykyn, Tsolorandril and Vathris.
    [...]

The LGJ article has a 3E deity blurp for him. It says he's an Oeridian thief, said to be the been the most puissant among the practitioners ofhis ancient profession. He was sponsored to godhood by Olidammara. As a mortal he was filthy rich, and only kept up his trade to maintain his skills and reputation.

Quote:

Kuroth (the Master Thief), CN
    Hero-God of Theft and Treasure-Finding.

[...]

The ultimate challenge is taking something that its owner doesnt want you to have. Constantly push yuor limits in your attempts to aquire newer more vlauable and unusual things, forstealing from a common merchant is little sport compared to stealing from a dragons hoard. Eevn if you lack nothing, avoid the trap that success would place on your mind, and seek to aquire more, discarding it afterwards if you dont need it. Never destroy a valuable item, for that deprives another of the chance to steal it in return.

Most of Kuroth's clerics work as thieves. They break into nobles' houses, merchant guilds, mage towers, and rival churches t find what things can be stolen. they adventure to find the next big hoard. discover and avoid the next big trap and to get into places that have been hidden or locked up for hundreds of years. Their predication for danger tends to keep their numbers low but their reputations high.

An interesting choice for an adventuring cleric... Hero-gods in general work more like patron saints. Check the greytalk archives (link is to the left) there should be some material on him there.

LGJ 10 (included in Draon294) has the 3e description of the artifact Kuroth's quill, and probably some more backstory to the legendary Kuroth.

Quote:

LIVING GREYHAWK Journal [Volume 1, Number 10; Coldeven 592 CY, April 2002]
    Included in Dragon 294
    Cover: The contemplative Canon Hazen of Rao. By Kalman Andrasofszky

Articles
    Artefacts of Oerth
    By Allan Grohe and Erik Mona
    General information regarding the artefacts of Oerth including information on how to create artefacts and use them in a campaign. Includes in depth information of the Chalice Everlasting, the Crook of Rao, Druniazth (the Claw of Tharizdun) and Kuroth’s Quill.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:31 am  

Thanael wrote:
    There's an artifact named Kuroth's Quill. It was in the 1E DMG IIRC, and later in the 2E book of artifacts and Encyclopedia magica.
    The legendary person/hero-deity Kuroth first appears in Living Greyhawk Journal #3 AFAIK. (It could of course be that he is already mentioned in one of the artifact descriptions, but i believe not.)

Excellent -- thanks for all the references. Something about the name had tickled the back of my brain, but I couldn't remember anything specific.

Thanks again!
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:00 pm  

All the hero gods are pretty much latter day additions to dieties list done for reasons that are not clear to me. Most of them existed solely as names associated with various artifacts or magical items in the OAD&D books. A few, like Murlynd, were actual characters in Gary's campaign who were what he called "quasi dieties: characters more than human, but less divine.

From a Greyhawk history perspective, that LGG dieties list is highly adulterated. Many of the gods on the list were created for other settings (notably the FR or just "generic'), created from whole cloth for that list, or otherwise have no previous GH affiliation.

Which is not to say you shouldn't use it if you want. I don't, but that's just my choice. Just be aware that you'll have no reference material for many of them in any GH specific product. And a few, like the drow dieites imported from the FR, make significant changes to what is published (GH drow are demon worshippers, of whom Lolth is simply the most significant; those that don't worship lolth turn ot other malign chaos entities like other demonlords, the elder elemental god, etc).
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:53 pm  

Off topic, but could someone relate what the LGJ article says about Tsolorandril? I've always been found of that peculiar deity.

Cheers
    Nell.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:08 am  

Tsolorandril, the Ethereal Walker

LN, Hero-deity of Wave Motions

A sexless alien being from another plane. Favors living in the Ether than Oerth and has few allies beside Elayne Mystica. He is a record keeper, noting the peaks and valleys of natural cycles of politics, time and nature, then making predictions based on those patterns. It appears as an androgynous humanoid with very white skin and muted features, and silver blue hair. Some believe it was sponsored by Cyndor.

Yes folks, Tsolorandril is a pollster! Laughing
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: