Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - May I use material from Canonfire on my campaign website if
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    May I use material from Canonfire on my campaign website if
    Novice

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:20 pm  
    May I use material from Canonfire on my campaign website if

May I use material from Canonfire on my campaign website if I reference it with a link back to this site?

I've started a new website for my fast growing game group. Most have no idea what Greyhawk is about. I would like to be able to selected articles etc on my site from time to time.

Who do I contact on Canonfire to ask premission?

Virel
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:25 pm  
    Re: May I use material from Canonfire on my campaign website

Virel wrote:
    May I use material from Canonfire on my campaign website if I reference it with a link back to this site?

I've started a new website for my fast growing game group. Most have no idea what Greyhawk is about. I would like to be able to selected articles etc on my site from time to time.

Who do I contact on Canonfire to ask premission?

Virel

As per the Canonfire Copyright policy, you need the permission of the author of the article/material you want to use, period, there's no shortcut around this.

Violets are blue, roses are red,
    we're boarding your ship, prepare to eat lead!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:28 pm  

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/copyright.php

There's the copyright policy page, btw.

If you're seeking to use something like one of the Special Features listed in the left column of every page and are unsure of the author of the material, please use this link:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Feedback

To contact the Canonfire staff to clarify whose permission is needed.

Questions about reusing Oerth Journal material need to be asked in the Oerth Journal forum.

Violets are blue, roses are red,
    we're boarding your ship, prepare to eat lead!
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:15 am  

I freely give you permision to use any of my articles (those written by cwslyclgh) on your website, as long as you
    a. do not make any money off of my work
    b. make sure that credit for the work is given to me where it appears (ei. do not take the By C. Wesley Clough off of it, if you reformat it, etc.).

as for using other authors work, I believe that you will need to ask each of them individualy.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:49 am  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    I freely give you permision to use any of my articles (those written by cwslyclgh) on your website, as long as you
    b. make sure that credit for the work is given to me where it appears (ei. do not take the By C. Wesley Clough off of it, if you reformat it, etc.).

as for using other authors work, I believe that you will need to ask each of them individualy.

That is very generous of you. Maybe Canonfire could get someone to write a non-commercial licence, similar to the OGL, that allows people to reuse certain content from Canonfire.

That way authors like yourself, could agree on terms similar (if not identical) to the ones you have stated. And some legal blurb explaining that trademarks belonging to Wizards of the Coast are not being challenged.

If that was done then authors could opt-in to the "Canonfire Licence" and a link to the licence could be added to all of their articles (or alternatively only the articles that they are happy to be reused).

(Any authors who don't specifically opt in or who can't be contacted can be assumed to not be consenting to content reuse.)

I would suggest that if you do something like this, you make it a requirement for people to add a hyperlink to the original article onto any web page (or print the URL of the original article in a printed product). That way anyone interested in your material would be able to trace it back to the source and read more about it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:34 am  

Such a "license" would be a, pointless (just get the original author's permission) and b, possibly illegal (fair use allows us to create non-profit fan content, but the authors nor canonfire as a whole have any right to contribute material derived from WotC's intellectual property to any sort of licensing agreement.)
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:46 am  

Authors: If you want to indicate that your article may be posted or plagiarized wherever by whomever, feel free to add a note in the body of your article. The whole reason for the strict no reposting without permission policy is the unfortunate history of plagiarism and theft of material in the GH community.

Re-Users: As has been said before, just ask the author. There's no need for some vague license. If the author is unavailable, they can hardly be expected to opt in to such a thing anyway, right?

If you want to create a derivative work based on something on CF, go for it, nothing is stopping you, but if you want to avoid getting flamed, make sure and give credit to the author of the material you're building on, and if possible, a link to the article in question.

No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:45 am  

cwslyclgh wrote:

Ditto.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 am  

chatdemon wrote:
    If you want to create a derivative work based on something on CF, go for it, nothing is stopping you, but if you want to avoid getting flamed, make sure and give credit to the author of the material you're building on, and if possible, a link to the article in question.

No need to reinvent the wheel here.

For a really good example of how this might be done see here -
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=840&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 am  

GVDammerung wrote:

For a really good example of how this might be done see here -
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=840&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Yah, Wolfsire's bibliograpy is a good example to follow.

The whole point is, to me, there is no need to reprint articles verbatim on other sites. Link to it. If you're doing derivative work, as chatdemon and GVD suggest, just give proper credit and there's no harm done.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.31 Seconds