Sat May 21, 2005 9:24 pm  
Prison of Zagyg (rework for Epic 3.5E)

HI All

Here is my current take on the Prison of Zagyg. I would appreciate any feedback. I specifically changed a lot of features from the original in S4 or 1E Unearthed Arcana, like I got rid of the Range: this plane of existence, as too powerful even for this.

The party has it now, and I hope eventually that they will try to trap Iuz in it, but I don't want it foolproof either. So here is what I put together. Any feedback is appreciated.

Quote:

Prison of Zagyg (Major Artifact)

Only five of these brass devices are thought to exist. Each is nearly identical, appearing to be nothing more than a small, well-made birdcage. No amount of normal handling or examination will reveal it to be magical. If a detect magic spell is cast upon it, the caster will detect an (unspecified) aura if he succeeds at a Will save DC 16. Inside the cage is a permanent antimagic field, which can even affect Divine beings, while the cage itself is under permanent nondetection (as if cast by the owner of the Prison, DC 15+owner's arcane caster level).

The Prison of Zagig is usable only by arcane spellcasters. It attunes itself to its current owner when he learns the command word that activates the prison. Speaking the Activation Word has two effects:

1. The door to the cage is immediately held fast by an epic arcane lock spell which can not be overcome by knock or similar means. The only ways to remove the lock are by wish, miracle, limited wish, or by a successful dispel check against a DC of 18 + the owner's arcane caster level. The owner of the prison can open it using a Freedom Word.

2. The cage is attuned to a single Trigger Word which will enable its owner to imprison a creature within the cage by invoking a special imprisonment Command Spell. (See below for the Command Spell description). The user need not know or prepare this spell, but can always cast it. However, casting the Command Spell is similar to casting a 10th level spell off a scroll with a caster level of 30. The Owner must be an arcane caster with imprisonment on his spell list. He must have a requisite ability score of 20 (INT or CHA). If his caster level is below 30, then he must also make a caster level check, DC 31. Failure by 10 or more traps the caster in the Prison instead. The Command Spell is treated as a 10th level spell cast by the owner of the Prison for determining the save DC and spell resistance check, taking into account all of the owner's relevant ability scores, feats, and abilities (i.e. spell focus (abjuration) or spell penetration).

If the imprisonment fails, the target creature is unaffected, aware of the attempt at imprisonment, and immune to the Prison’s power for one year. If the imprisonment is successful, the creature is reduced to three inch height and instantly teleported into the Prison. In either case, the Prison cannot be used more than once per day.

Imprisoned creatures cannot free themselves by spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. E.g. Creatures who are amorphous, gaseous, or incorporeal by nature (slimes, air elementals, etc.) can easily escape, but a vampire could not assume gaseous form due to the antimagic field inside of the cage.

An imprisoned creature does not need food, water or air while imprisoned. It can not be harmed by any means from outside the Prison. Even immersion in lava would have no effect on the conditions inside the Prison. The Prison itself can not be damaged by force or magic, so the imprisoned creature also cannot use its Strength to break out.

The Prison can only hold one prisoner at a time. If a prisoner leaves the Prison, he is immediately restored to his former size and abilities.

The command words for this Prison (found in the Demonomicon of Iggwilv) are:
Activation Word: Ergat
Trigger Word: Sevara
Freedom Word: Tragar

Prison of Zagyg Command Spell
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, F (Prison)
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 30 ft.
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
If the caster of this Command Spell names the True Name of the creature to be imprisoned, or recites its history in great detail (in the case of creatures without a name), the target receives a -4 on his saving throw.

Thanks,
ROB