JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Blackmoor
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Blackmoor
    Novice

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:18 am  
    Blackmoor

First, I want to apologize for my english. I'm from Poland, so it is not my national language.

I have found on the internet this page: http://www.geocities.com/havardfaa/greyhawk.html. As you can see, there is an article about connection between Blackmoor in Greyhawk and something called "Dave Arenson's Blackmoor". Of course the name "Dave Arenson" isn't something new for me, but I don't ever heard about this product. It seems to be some kind of setting, but what it is so many similiars with Blackmoor in Greyhawk (Egg of Coot, for example)? Maybe someone could explain it to me? I would be very grateful.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:04 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, hubi. Smile Here's the history in a nutshell. When Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson first started gaming (in the early Chainmail days), Gary's campaign setting was Greyhawk, and Dave's was Blackmoor. The Duchy of Ten(h), and I believe the Great Kingdom, were also Dave's creations.

When Gary introduced the published WoG setting to the rest of us, he included these areas as a tip of the hat to Dave Arneson. Of course, what we see in WoG is substantially different from the original campaign. Dave has recently released the "Dave Arneson's Blackmoor" product to which you linked above. This is his Blackmoor setting, which has no real relation to Greyhawk.
    Novice

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:49 am  

One more question: here http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=364 wrote:
    Quote:
    To the north of the Land of Iuz is Blackmoor. Though seemingly little more than a desolate tundra with few inhabitants, this Blackmoor is just the shadow of a larger, more important Blackmoor on another world. The secrets of the other Blackmoor, including the City of the Gods, arouse both curiosity and fear in the old demi-god.

Is this "larger, more important Blackmoor" is Arenson's Blackmoor? Or maybe it's another story?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:02 am  

While I'm not the author of the article in question, I think it's reasonable to assume that he was indeed referring to Dave Arneson's Blackmoor as the "larger, more important Blackmoor".
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:01 am  

Very important note:

Dave Arneson's Blackmoor is of nearly no use for a Greyhawk campaign - at least not more than any d20 book out there. It's an interesting setting nonetheless, but if you want to buy a campaign helper, this book is as good as just any other. Wink

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:37 am  

Ivid wrote:
    Very important note:

Dave Arneson's Blackmoor is of nearly no use for a Greyhawk campaign - at least not more than any d20 book out there. It's an interesting setting nonetheless, but if you want to buy a campaign helper, this book is as good as just any other. Wink

I will disagree just a little. While DA's Blackmoor from Goodman Games is not GH, it is the setting GH takes its Blackmoor from. I think it is useful then as background or if you you want a "time travel" or "dimensional travel" adventure. It is not essential GH but it is more GHish that just the odd d20 product. IMO. Smile

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:20 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    Ivid wrote:
    Very important note:

I will disagree just a little. While DA's Blackmoor from Goodman Games is not GH, it is the setting GH takes its Blackmoor from. I think it is useful then as background or if you you want a "time travel" or "dimensional travel" adventure. It is not essential GH but it is more GHish that just the odd d20 product. IMO. Smile

Ah, well, of course you're right, GVD. The only problem I personally see is that mixing both settings would be quite time-consuming and maybe not even bear a very Greyhawkish result... I play DABM at the moment, and it's quite fun, although it has no real Greyhawk tie-in. In fact, the setting book itself could be relatively useless for that purpose. Not so the upcoming books... But nice to see another Blackmoorian here, GVD. Wink I think you mentioned you bought the book as well...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:37 am  

[quote="Ivid"]
    GVDammerung wrote:
    . . . nice to see another Blackmoorian here, GVD. Wink I think you mentioned you bought the book as well...

Absolutely! Happy

I think DA's Blackmoor is a great setting book, GH or no GH. I personally use it as "ancient" Blackmoor.

Smile

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:34 am  

[quote="GVDammerung"]
    Ivid wrote:
    GVDammerung wrote:
    . . . nice to see another Blackmoorian here, GVD. Wink I think you mentioned you bought the book as well...

Absolutely! Happy

I think DA's Blackmoor is a great setting book, GH or no GH. I personally use it as "ancient" Blackmoor.

Smile

I'll start a thread about doing a crossover off ZGG's and WoG's Blackmoor and will present some of my ideas on that as soon as I have more time... Smile

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:25 am  

Question What is the connection of the DA# Blackmoor Adventures of the Mystarra setting? I remember that that they were written as being in Mystarra's past and tailored to that setting. To what extent to they fit within the original Gygax and Arneson campaigns, GH "canon", or even within the new DABM setting?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:01 am  

NathanBrazil wrote:
    Question What is the connection of the DA# Blackmoor Adventures of the Mystarra setting? I remember that that they were written as being in Mystarra's past and tailored to that setting. To what extent to they fit within the original Gygax and Arneson campaigns, GH "canon", or even within the new DABM setting?

Those adventures are still a canon problem for ZGG's BM. As far as I know from know, they're supposed to happen later than the timeline given in the new CS, but it's most likely that they are not supposed to take place.

Smile
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: