JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Prestige Class to add flavor
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Prestige Class to add flavor
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:27 pm  
    Prestige Class to add flavor

Having just looked over another relevant thread (here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1355),
    I'm interested in using Prestige Classes as they were originally intended.

Check out DMG 3.0, pg 27 (note that DMG 3.5 lost all text along these lines, as the focus seemed to change to power gaming instead of campaign flavor):

Prestige Classes allow DMs to create campaign-specific, exclusive roles and positions as classes...the character must meet nonrule-related requirements in-game, such as group membership fees, special training exercises, quests, and so forth...Dungeon Masters should use Prestige Classes as a tool for world building as well as a reward for achieving high level. They set characters in the mileu and put them in the context of the world.

Use Prestige Classes to establish and develop the following themes in your campaign.

*snip*
    Racial Distinctions
    Cultural Distinctions
    Religious Orders
    Guild or Group Membership

This, the original idea published for Prestige Classes (hereafter, "PrCls"), is what interests me. Has anyone else developed which PrCls work best for which established GH organizations? Or, if you've developed your own organizations to work well with the published classes, would you please share? :-)

If nobody has really worked on this yet, would you like to? I'm gearing up for a campaign sometime soon, and I'm going to hash this out. Just wondering if anyone else would like to help, or is interested in what I come up with.

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:14 am  
    Excellent!

Somehow, in my blind anger at the munchkin-fu on display at most d20 games, I missed that paragraph.

Since I run a GH 3.5 game, I think I'll print a copy and paste it to my DM's screen...

Let's see... Yeomanry campaign... PCs are working for the Academy of Lore (Dustdiggers) as a quick reaction force... ready access to Dustdigger skills... mountainous, hilly, and forested terrain... Ancient Suel texts... Yeomanry tactical skills...

Yup, prestige classes are definitely available. :-D

Thanks for the reminder,

Telas
    CF Admin

Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:58 pm  

Hi, just a note that one GreyTalker, Basiliv, and I have collaborated briefly to produce some notes on this subject. Once we've gone through the PHB, DMG and Complete series of books, I'll post our ideas here.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:09 pm  

LOL!! Thanks, but that's me. Despite GVD's assurances that Greytalk is dead, this thread is a primary example of times where CF produces no results and Greytalk bears fruit.

But for the record, I certainly have no qualms about posting whatever we end up with on Canonfire in some format. With the GT Archives down for so long, I think it's important to record these things somewhere.

And I promise I'll give some comments on your suggestions this week. :-)

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: