JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Christmas in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Christmas in Greyhawk
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:24 am  
    Christmas in Greyhawk

Isn't there a christmas like holiday in Greyhawk. I winter fest or something - thought I remember reading about something like that- but having trouble finding any good list of Holidays in GH in general.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:40 am  

Needfeast has winter holiday celebrations, but I do not know if they are much like christmas.

For details, you might want to poke around here:

http://www.nirgal.com/games/rpg/greyhawk/calendar

and

http://www.geocities.com/the_core_collective/greyhawk/calender.html

GVD made my GH holiday posts, collectively here

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=gvdammerung

I do not recall if any of them address winter or anything christmas like, but there are many and they might.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:04 pm  

Dragon Annual #4 had an article detailing holidays on Oerth.
    According to City of Greyhawk, celebrating Pelor's Day/Giving Day involves giving toys to needy children, but that's Midsummer, Richfest 4.
    Priests of Celestian, St Cuthbert and Rao distribute food to the poor on Midwinter Night, Needfest 4; aka Dark Time, Dim Time, Handmaiden's Glory.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:02 am  

I did not post it as part of the Holidays Postfest, but IMC, the Flanaess celebrates Yule over the course of Sunsebb and through Needfest. Yule is, for practical purposes, Christmas without the Christ-part, more the "pagan" Yule but with the neat parts of Christmas carried over (most of which are "pagan" holdovers anyway). As Andy Williams would memorably sing, "Its the most wonderful time of the year!"

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:14 am  

It was probably an advertisement for something, but one of my favorite pictures from the old Dragon Mags was that of a snowy winter scene with lizardmen merrily going around with santa hats.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:31 pm  

I grew up in a quaint rural part of Keoland.

Every year at Yule (well, not Yule exactly, but within a week -
    our ancestors were shepherds and not too good at calenders)
    we would celebrate the rebirth of the sun god by killing a tree.
    After killing the tree we would take its corpse into our house and let it rot for about a month, so that the scent of its decay would fill the house. Often we hung little bits of paper and painted wood on it.

We would hang up fake versions of a parasitic plant from another land.
    Whenever we bumped into someone under the palnt we would engage in a ritual of repressed sexuality.

We would mix raw eggs with alcohol and make any visitors drink the concoction.

It may sound strange, but that is actually what we did.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:58 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    It was probably an advertisement for something, but one of my favorite pictures from the old Dragon Mags was that of a snowy winter scene with lizardmen merrily going around with santa hats.

And I giant armored turtle. That would have been Ral Partha, I believe. I remember those ads fondly, as well.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: