JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Wargaming Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Wargaming Greyhawk
    Novice

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:54 pm  
    Wargaming Greyhawk

Just joined the site after stumbling on it while searching for information on the armies of Greyhawk to build some 28mm armies for wargaming. I am aware of Grendelwulf's fantastic project to codify many of the armies, but I am more interested in opinions about the historical equivalents for human nations as far as miniatures go. The art from the original folio and boxed set suggest typical medieval armor (maybe Hundred Year War or War of the Roses - circa 15th century?), but the later Greyhawk Wars shows warriors in earlier armor (maybe 11th century).

I prefer to lean towards the older material when given a choice, but certainly different nations may have different levels of equipment. I could see the wealthier nations fielding knights in 15th c. plate while mounted troops in other regions might only muster chain hauberks in the manner of Dark Age crusaders.

Do any of the nations evoke a particular Germanic/French/etc? The barbarians of the north east certainly seem like Danes to me. I tried studying the pics of the old minifig Greyhawk models from Greyhawk Grognard's site to get an idea of what may have been intended long ago, but unfortunately the pics are too small for the most part to really compare.

Your opinions would be welcome!
    GreySage

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:05 pm  
    Re: Wargaming Greyhawk

quindia wrote:
    Do any of the nations evoke a particular Germanic/French/etc? The barbarians of the north east certainly seem like Danes to me. I tried studying the pics of the old minifig Greyhawk models from Greyhawk Grognard's site to get an idea of what may have been intended long ago, but unfortunately the pics are too small for the most part to really compare.

Your opinions would be welcome!

Welcome to Canonfire, Quindia. We're glad you found our community and look forward to your participation.

Here's the thread that will answer your question above quite well, I think. Wink

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4291

SirXaris
    Novice

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:46 pm  

Many thanks! I tried searching before posting he query, but didn't come up with anything...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 am  

If you want to sort of just cut-n-paste real world descriptions onto the armies of the Greyhawk realms, you are basically left up to your own devices. There is no real right or wrong answer as to the style of anything anywhere(though some things are more obviously linked to some real world cultures than are others), as it was never really laid out to any great degree. You probably wish to use different styles of real world armors just so as to set apart the look of the different armies(i.e. Italian/Germanic, English, and French armors had their own distinct styles). Which style goes with which realm is pretty much up to you. It is not Earth, but Oerth, so it would of course have armor styles all of its own, not those of Earth, let alone just that of European examples.

Compare armies of the West and East. The purpose of the armor is the same, but describing the stylistic execution of their appearance/construction as being "different" is often a bit of an understatement. People often forget that the seemingly European nations of the Flanaess are mostly peopled by those who come from the far west of the Flanaess, where Eastern influences are the norm. I equate the Ancient Suloise with a Byzantine/Russian-ish look/culture, and the Ancient Baklunish with an Asian/Persian/Arabic-ish look/culture. Now, bleed and blend such influences into the more European armor styles forward in the slowly evolving technology of the standard fantasy world. Consider how that will influence the styles of later armors where peoples and cultures have blended, which is the case in most nations of the Flanaess in the late 500's CY. I don't know about anybody else, but that is sounding pretty interesting to me. Cool

Anyways, that really isn't going to help all that much with figuring out whether the armies of the Great Kingdom lands should be represented by Hundred Years War French/Burgundians or with Landsknechts of the Holy Roman Empire, but its worth considering that, whatever you do, it is not really going to be wrong in any sense. What will mostly set the armies apart visually will simply be painting the miniatures in the colors of the various realms. Heraldry will be the key element.

You probably won't want to mix Sumerians with Crusaders on the battlefield though. Laughing
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: