Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Fate of Istus
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Fate of Istus
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:07 am  
    Fate of Istus

I just received a copy of the Fate of Istus "module". This is certainly one of the stranger early edition mods I've seen in a while. Is this considered Canon? And are the maps accurate? They seem a bit off...

Thanks!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:05 am  

Fate of Istus is an odd one. It was used to convert Greyhawk from 1st edition to 2nd and explain the changes in the monk, bard, and assassin classes during that shift. However, although the events of this adventure took place largely as described in the module, and can be included into Greyhawk cannon, other things in it have some canon problems.
    1) Monks and assassins are back so they were never really removed from Oerth.
    2) The Oriental monks in the adventure have never existed in Greyhawk, the martial arts of the Suel (Scarlet Brotherhood) and the Baklundish followers of Xan Yae and Zuoken are not Oriental in flavor or origin.
    3) Various maps of cities have been superceded by more recent and cannonal sources.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:26 am  

Most folks I have talked to about FoI take what they like from it and leave the rest. The sections were all written by different people- some of the sections are good, some are ok, some are downright bad.

All in all, it was a poor effort in forcibly converting campaigns from 1e to 2e.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:24 pm  
    FoI Review

I did a review of FoI here on CF:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=74

And I second the general sentiments mentioned here. I suggest using it as a series of one-shot adventures or as a gazeteer, rather then as a unified campaign. The campaign seemed too forced to be useful but some of the city articles and the adventures, when taken on their own, are pretty good.

O-D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: