JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - St. Kargoth's Alignment
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    St. Kargoth's Alignment
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:23 am  
    St. Kargoth's Alignment

I was recently reading "Demogorgon's Champions: The Death Knights of Oerth (Part Two)" in DRAGON® #291 / Living Greyhawk™ Journal #7. In his stat block, St. Kargoth's alignment is listed as LE. However, several passages in the text seem to indicate that he should, in fact, be CE.
    Quote:
    In the centuries since his rise to power, Kargoth has quickly ascended the ranks of the demonic hierarchy.... While steeped in the intricate politics of the Abyss, he nevertheless willingly advances the interests of Demogorgon on this and other dimensionalities. St. Kargoth still visits the Prime Material Plane on rare occasions to wreak additional havoc in the name of chaos...
    (emphasis mine)

Am I the only one??? Confused
    GreySage

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 pm  

He's definitely chaotic evil. I believe he was lawful evil in Gary Holian's original campaign (and was, in fact, the lawful evil demigod imprisoned by Zagyg), which would explain the typo.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 pm  

In the article "Setting Saintly Standards" in Dragon # 79 his alignment is listed as CE along with appropriate references to "demonic terror" and Demogorgon.
    Sage of Canonfire

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:02 am  

I can confirm that he should be CE. Its just a typo in the stat block. As Rasgon intimates, I follow the Saintly Standards article very closely.

Kargoth was once a LG paladin of Heironeous and was seduced by Demogorgon (whose cult once spread from the Solnor Coast through the eastern isles, Hepmonaland, Amedio and the Densac Gulf.) Kargoth unleashed something like an Astral Dreadnaught (though this species was from the abyss) on the prime which almost obliterated the ruling family of Rax but was finally defeated at great cost by the Knight Protectors.

There is one sense I do break with previous precedent. I allow Death Knights to become any evil alignment, LE, NE, and CE and to have tendencies.

Another note, my Kargoth is more powerful than the one presented in Dragon (certainly on par with a quasi or hero deity). My Death Knight template is also different and includes something called "Occuli" an artifact created from the missing eyes of a death knight (all death knights are missing their eyes, replaced by pin pricks of light.) Those possessing Occuli might have influence over a death knight or be able to unlock the key to their curse. I'll seek out my original draft and post more on this some time. But the original 13 (ie 14) were definitely "special" in other ways I will elaborate on.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

-Gary
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: