JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Frost, Snow and Ice Barbarians Campaign
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Frost, Snow and Ice Barbarians Campaign
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 16, 2006 7:50 pm  
    Frost, Snow and Ice Barbarians Campaign

So, I am going to DM a game in the world of Greyhawk, and I have chosen the peninsula of the suel barbarians as the setting to the plot.

Basically, the PCs - for now composed of a Pine Spirit Folk (a ocidentalized name for the Bamboo Spirit Folk found in Oriental Adventures) Archivist (class of the Heroes of Horror book) from the Teocracy of the Pale, a renegade male human fighter from Stonehold, and a native female human barbarian - will meet in a region devastated by an unkown menace.

I was thinking on how to getting the plot running. Basically, I was thinking for the Dark Avenger above being a type of "Chosen of Incabulos", who was secretly freed by some years by members of the Horned Society after being sealed some years ago.

This small faction of the Society would be bent on cleaning the region off possible oposition so they can begin running diabolic activities. Thanks to Nerull (who is somewhat related to Incabulos) patronage, they would be protected from the Dark Avenger's wrath.

Of course, the PCs would have to deal not with the Dark Avenger (who would be just too much of a challeng to them), but the Society manipulations of him.

However, this particular group would have a magical item (still undetermined), got by raiding the region, that is seeked by a Suel Arcanamach (a prestige class found in the Complete Arcane). This particular Suel Arcanamarch of pure suel lineage came secretly from the south with his comitive, a group of red robed men, bent on getting the item by any means necessary.

So the PCs would find themselves having to dance with the Scarlet Brotherhood's machinations and the power and secrecy of the Horned Society.

So what I am in great need would be in the forces of the two factions. I was thinking about something like that:
    Horned Society - undead's, devils, humanoid (orc, ogre, troll) mercenaries, Telchur priesthood (fooled in believing the Society is a sect of Belial's followers Wink ), clerics (Asmodeus, Nerull)
    Scarlet Brotherhood - suel barbarian mercenaries, hobgoblin mercenaries, scarlet brotherhood monks, scarlet brotherhood wizards, scarlet brotherhood clerics (Syrul, Pyremius)

Please, any tips on improving the story would be greatly appreciated Exclamation
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 19, 2006 7:27 pm  
    An idea for the frozen north campaign

Sounds interesting! Let me throw in my two coppers worth. I combined the Hanging Glacier (from the From the Ashes set) with the Ice Shard Tome (from a Dragon magazine article) with an obscure 1e module (Dark Clouds Gather) in a Wyrms of the Flanaess article here on CF:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=741&mode=&order=0&thold=0

With a little work, this can fit into your campaign idea. The Horned Society has devilish contacts, so they can be a sponsor of Synjje's army in its attacks on humanity. I envision that the gate within the glacier is attached to the Eighth Hell, so either the SB or the HS would have an interest in tapping into its power. Now my article is a bit hiogh powered, so you can ease your players into it gradually, starting with skirmishes with the dragon's army scouts and working your way up to the puppet masters behind the dragon.

Feel free to adjust any bit of it as you see fit. Let me know if you find this useful.

O-D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 22, 2006 10:31 am  

You can also try Frostburn. If you ignore the information on 'unnatural cold' part, there is a lot of good 3E specific wilderness survival info for cold weather.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 25, 2006 8:10 pm  
    Re: An idea for the frozen north campaign

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    Sounds interesting! Let me throw in my two coppers worth. I combined the Hanging Glacier (from the From the Ashes set) with the Ice Shard Tome (from a Dragon magazine article) with an obscure 1e module (Dark Clouds Gather) in a Wyrms of the Flanaess article here on CF:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=741&mode=&order=0&thold=0

With a little work, this can fit into your campaign idea. The Horned Society has devilish contacts, so they can be a sponsor of Synjje's army in its attacks on humanity. I envision that the gate within the glacier is attached to the Eighth Hell, so either the SB or the HS would have an interest in tapping into its power. Now my article is a bit hiogh powered, so you can ease your players into it gradually, starting with skirmishes with the dragon's army scouts and working your way up to the puppet masters behind the dragon.

Feel free to adjust any bit of it as you see fit. Let me know if you find this useful.

O-D

Wow, finnally I managed to read throug the entire article, and I must say you got me surprised. I will definitly use some of Synjje's plot (Erythnul's fists and Hextor's, along with the dragon herself), but will leave the giants and the bulk of ba'atuns out, preferring to get the dragon in a early stage of her plans Happy

Anyway, the plot thickens. For instance, the group changed. No more archivist and fighter, the player's switched to a Favored Soul of Vatun and a arcanist (yet undertemined if wizard or sorcerer).

The initial plot will play in this little walled villaged I named Vlarnum (pop. 400-500 people, humans 70%, dwarves 20%, gnomes 10%) in a region afflicted by an evil that everybody says is from the old days, a Dark Avenger who returns from the underworld to bring suffering to the living. Vlarnum itself is safe because of old dwarven runes inscripted in old stones near the village that forms a circle area around it.

The initial adventures will play with a simple run to a nearby wood to search for a lost cleric of Fortubo, then investigate the original circunstance where the Dark Avenger got sealed, search for the way to do it and then seal him back.

The next plot will follow to search who the hell let him loose in the first place (the Horned Society), and here I plan to get the Scarlet Brotherhood manipulations begin as they send the adventurers to get the Horned Society (who themselves are afraid of Synjje and will try to use the adventurers to harm the wyrm's plans) nailed down.

The entire scenario is the Horned Society trying to get to manipulating the gate at the Hanging Glacier to getting an access to the 9th hell, thus being able to bring forth devils loyal to Asmodeus and stabilishing a new Horned foothold in the Flanaess. They also have fooled some Telchur clerics to believe they serve Belial. Thanks to this clerics (and Murodoc's guidance), Synjje is a lot more sympathetic to the Society, believing that they are just another force to boast her White Army of Doom (Murodoc's follow Mephistopheles, who is a ally of Belial. If he knew it's the Horned Society, and not a sect of Belial worshippers, he would have requested Synjje to crush them already).

The Scarlet Brotherhood, however, wants a magic item that they believe is with the Horned Society - the Ice Shard Tome. With it they plan to get for themselves the monster's of the Hanging Glacier to fill their armies and the method of frozing monsters so they can drop them in the battlefield Wink
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: