3%
     3%  [ 1 ]
    Other (explain)
    18%
     18%  [ 6 ]
    Total Votes : 33

Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:10 pm  

I have written something for every single post fest, and in nearly every instance I have missed the posting deadline... usually by a week or so. This comes from being a slow writer and a busy schedule.

I like the idea of a single annual post fest... One where the subject is announced far in advance, and where a large article can be submitted if one chooses. Lets choose a topic by say Christmas. By April each person is required to submit their title and maybe an abstract (5 sentances).

The Articles are due by Thanksgiving. Each submitter is assigned a random number and a new article is posted every two days till they are done. Then we vote.

Just a thought.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:28 am  

Just to get the other side in, I would prefer more postfests. Perhaps 3 a year is too much for a reasonable turnout. What about 2 a year? BTW, what is a reasonable turnout? Although there were only 3 on the last one and it had to be extended to get that, I very glad it was held.

Also, to follow up on O-D statement, "not enough people critique the articles." That, IMO, was one of the advantages of having a winner. It made readers look and compare, which I think resulted in some comments. I would prefer to go back to a competition, but assuming that will not happen, are their other opportunities to encourage comment. Just to through it out, what about a pop up that forces you to click on a button that says "haven't finished reading" or a vote score? Just a thought.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:29 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    Just to get the other side in, I would prefer more postfests. Perhaps 3 a year is too much for a reasonable turnout. What about 2 a year? BTW, what is a reasonable turnout? Although there were only 3 on the last one and it had to be extended to get that, I very glad it was held.

Also, to follow up on O-D statement, "not enough people critique the articles." That, IMO, was one of the advantages of having a winner. It made readers look and compare, which I think resulted in some comments. I would prefer to go back to a competition, but assuming that will not happen, are their other opportunities to encourage comment. Just to through it out, what about a pop up that forces you to click on a button that says "haven't finished reading" or a vote score? Just a thought.

I agree with this. The only addition I'd make is that IMO a reasonable turnout is at least 12 people. That makes it feel like a community event and not an isolated one, IMO.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:53 pm  

For those who want to post but are intimidated at having their canon "mistakes" noticed more than their creativity...

Why not post a "draft" of your work to the reader's workshop forum?
    That is less read than the main page, and would give you a chance to work the bugs out before you presented to the group as a whole.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:57 am  

Lets try out these wheels:

Draft Article on Plars, http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=14878#14878
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 pm  

From Dec. ‘04

abysslin wrote:
    1. I'm not submitting to Canonfire in fear of my work not being accepted.

What? If your work pertains to Greyhawk, it has a 99.9% chance of being accepted. In all of Canonfire's history only 1 article was rejected and that was moreso because it had nothing to do with Greyhawk and when the editors contacted the author in an attempt to help him adjust the article to better fit the boundaries of Greyhawk, there was no reply.

We want your contributions. Without sharing eachother's ideas, Greyhawk runs the risk of dying. You wouldn't want that, would you? Me neither...

2. The Canonfire Staff might not like my work bcuz they are writing Pros. There's no way I can measure up...

lol, with the exception of Gary Holian, none of us are pros (hey! I'm just a freelancer who got lucky and cares about GH way too much... -glh). We're just a bunch of losers with too much time on our hands, enabling us to slave away in order to bring Canonfire to the fans. Most of the Staff hasn't even submitted more than a couple of articles, if any! (Slackers)

3. I'm afraid if my ideas suck, people will make fun of my work.

Eww, no way! Canonfire only allows constructive feedback and most of the time that is what you'll receive. We, as a community, want to help one another get better at writing.

4. Hmmm.. sure looks like these Canonfire contributors know what they're talking about. My submission would probably not garner very much attention.

True, submissions receive a very diverse amount of attention. However, I assure you, there are things even the newest Greyhawker can come up with that will surprise the old codgers.

I'm going to use WightNight (WN) as an example here. (sorry, bud) During Postfest II (Mysterious Places), WN wanted to submit something, but he was feeling a little intimidated by the other contributors and didn't think he knew enough about any locale to write a piece on it.
    I let him in on a little secret; If you write about something that has never been covered before, then you are the one that will be creating it and there will be no basis behind which to contest it.
    He read the few paragraphs in WGR7: Ivid the Undying about Goldchasm, and decided to write a piece expanding on what little information was available.
    His work ended up being one of the more popular postfest submissions!

5. I'm just not very good at writing. I don't think anybody will like my stuff.

BING! (that's the WRONG buzzer)

If you are afraid of your spelling and grammer skills, forget about it. That's what the editors are for. We will work closely with you to ensure your article receives the presentation it deserves.

If you are afraid that you can not present your ideas very well in a written fashion, submit them anyway! The Canonfire users are more than great at giving constructive criticism and feedback and would enjoy helping you become a better writer. That's what the Canonfire community is all about. Helping you share your Greyhawkian ideas and becoming better at conveying your contributions.

6. I better not join in on Thursday's GreyChats, I'd embarass myself not knowing anything.

Oh you! More reason to show up! The group loves to explain answers to questions and discuss Greyhawk. Get your rear to the Chat and ask away! Time to learn...

7. Damn It! Even with the directions, I still can't figure out how to join those Chats.

Contact me, or anyone else that participates in the Chat and we'll do all we can to get you in there!

My AIM is Abysslin and my email is abyss@canonfire.com

We'll get you in there!

8. Hmm, I'm just going to lurk on the Canonfire forums. I don't think my ideas are valid enough or my points of view will be discarded.

lol, what are you thinking!? You better start posting to the forums! We need a diverse amount of opinions and ideas in our discussions! Isn't that the point of forums? You bet it is!

If you have something you wanna discuss, chances are others will wanna discuss it too. Let's get involved here, people!

9. Ok, well I have submitted an article and it's been a few weeks... My article still hasn't been published..they must not like it..

Please be patient. There are always a number of articles in the line-up and, for the most part, they are published on a "1st come, 1st serve" basis. If there are a large number of articles in the line-up it could take up to 2 months or so before your article will hit the frontpage. It may seem like a long time, but it sure feels good when yours is finally featured! Wink

10. Dang, I can't figure out how to use 'X' feature of Canonfire or understand what 'X' is for and how it works...

Please, ask.

Also, your question may be answered by perusing the (somewhat out-of-date) FAQ

11. Wow! I really like this article I just read.

Well then, leave the author feedback in way of a comment! Even if its just a "hey, I like this article, thanks."

If it really struck you, consider opening a thread about the article in the Reader's Workshop

Alot of work and effort goes into alot of submissions. Authors will appreciate any comment or feedback you have to offer, no matter how simple or in-depth.

Also, to the right of each article is a link that will redirect you to a Printer Friendly Version of the article which is very convienent for that procedure!

Maraudar wrote:
    Great advice Abysslin. I know that for myself I get worried everytime I post that someone might poke fun at it. Silly little worry I admit but it never fails I post or reply and the worry demons start crawling up my back saying "hahahahaha they are going to laugh at you and rip you apart!!" All this and I write reports for a living . I'd love to write an article myself but I know it would come across like a crime scene report, dry and boring and way to technical So I appreciate the fears that others have when the want to do the same. And you were right on the money in #3.

PSmedger wrote:
    PSmedger prepares a bucket of pig's blood for Marauder's trip to the prom.... ;-)

Maraudar wrote:
    Finally a use for the protection from normal missles spell

Too busy 35%, nervous 25%, and the latter being 8 people.

Well, I am glad that smillan_31 found my Plar footnotes inspirational, but did not get a good feel on the idea of using the readers workshop for drafts. Hopefully, knowing it is out there will help.

8 people declined to participate in the last postfest because they were nervous. 8 articles by itself would not be a huge postfest response, but it would not be a bad one and would, IMO, be worth it. If we can get those 8 to post, in addition to those who now have the time, that would be a good show. Plus, once the initial nervousness is gone, it will be easier to post later.

So, I think she should take direct aim at this issue with the next postfest.

So, here are some ideas to overcome that issue:

1. Heresies of Oerth- you cannot get canon wrong on this one
    2. Joint projects- guaranteed to have someone covering you back with a co-author or silent editor. I am certainly no canon expert, but I will volunteer to help.
    3. Orcwrit- woryed bout spellink, grammer, ect., mess pu on purpose as park of a in-charecter presention. Or use other in character presentations, any problems can be attributed to the character. You may want to add some “mistakes” on purpose.
    4. Short works- just because you can go to two pages (or longer), does not mean you have to. One of my favorite works was only half a page. I have gotten board reading some of my longer posts.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: