Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A newbies questions about maps
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    A newbies questions about maps
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:51 pm  
    A newbies questions about maps

I'm sorta new to D&D I've been playing for about 4 months. I own the 3 core rulebooks plus I have a small paperback book called the Gazetteer. My questions center around this last book. Its about the Flanaess, the world of GreyHawk. If your not familiar with it its a 32 page booklet with basic information of different realms, leaders, government and so forth. It came with a map which I thought depicted all of the Flanaess but after doing some research online I've come to realize that it doesn't. I would like to purchase the Living GreyHawk Gazetteer, as it is suspossed to have 192 pages and be a hardcover. My question is does it contain a map depicting all of the Flanaess? If it doesn't where can I find one?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:08 am  

The LGG is softcover, but it does have a map of the entire Flanaess.

The World of Greyhawk Boxed Set and From the Ashes Boxed Set (both now out of print, but you might be able to pick them up second hand or as PDFs) both have huge hex maps of the Flanaess.

There's also maps online that any Google search should be able to root out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:14 am  

The map that comes with the Gazateer is a full map of the Flanaess.

Now, admittedly there are far better maps out there, but it is one of the Flanaess.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:20 am  

Thanks I'll be sure to check out your suggestions. Also I was wondering about all the modules everyone here is talking about. Where can I find those are they in PDF form or can I still buy them somewhere? Some of them sound really interresting.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:47 am  

UulaRubyheart wrote:
    Thanks I'll be sure to check out your suggestions. Also I was wondering about all the modules everyone here is talking about. Where can I find those are they in PDF form or can I still buy them somewhere? Some of them sound really interresting.

You can download PDFs of out-of-print modules from Paizo at the bargain price of $4.00 each. If you prefer hard copies, try eBay or Noble Knight Games.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:12 pm  

The map that comes with the LGG is the same map that comes with the D&D Gazetteer, only bigger.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:58 am  

UulaRubyheart, you may be looking for a map of Oerth, rather than the Flanaess. The Flanaess is the eastern portion of the continent of Oerik (sp?), sort of like Europe is to Eurasia. The whole world is Oerth.

Here are some of Oerth, but there are others on the net if you look for them: http://talmeta.net/maps/oerth.htm

http://www.geocities.com/area51/nova/7385/oerth.gif

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=658

This may be helpful in describing some areas http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=364
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:14 am  

Yes, yes yes! your exactly right Happy Thats what I have been looking for. I checked out the links you gave me and they were good but, do you know where I can find a map of Oerth that is labeled a little better? Also is there a book I can buy that covers the entire contient and not just the Flanaess?As my group would be very interested in playing other locations in Oerth.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:06 am  

The LGG only covers the area known as the Flanaess. There are no other books for any other portions of the World of Greyhawk outside of the Flanaess, though there are some older books that give more details on certain areas within the Flanaess. These are "Iuz the Evil", "The Marklands", "The Scarlet Brotherhood", and "Ivid the Undying"(the last one is a free download which you may find here at Canonfire! in the "Downloads" section- make sure you download the maps for it too! Wink ). The adventure "Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff" also has some info in it on the western portion of the Flanaess, and "City of Skulls" has more info on the capitol of Iuz and its denizens.

Only obscure information is given as to what else there is out there in the world, so it is entirely up to you what that may be. Let your imagination run wild.

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:28 am  

Thanks for the info! Thats what I love about D&D the most anything you can dream you can do. I wish I had discovered this years ago! Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:18 am  

As no one else mentioned them, there is a HUGE map of the Flanaess in four parts that came in four issues of Dungeon magazine. The Paiso site, previously linked, will have the details. I believe you can still order the four issues that have the maps.

There is also, coming in Dungeon 140, a map of the area south of the Densac Gulf - the Pearl/Vohoun Sea area between the Amedio Jungle and Hepmonaland.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 am  

Thanks for the info I'll be sure to check it out. Smile
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:51 am  

If you can, get the 4 Dungeon maps... there are locations for a number of the modules mentioned here, and a number of threads on paizo's boards (and I believe here) for other sites.

The LGG book's map makes a nice poster for a gaming room.

Telas
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:22 pm  
    . For

Welcome Uula! I hope you enjoy D&D as much as I have, and Greyhawk in particular. There are other worlds out there, Forgotten Realms, Eberon, or your own homegrown world, which compete with Greyhawk. My personal feeling is that Greyhawk is the best because of it's lack of perfection. It is my homebrew world, as I would make it, if I didnt have to work otherwise.

One complaint I have always had about Greyhawk is that it is hard to get your arms around. There is no good small reference... the Gazateer may be the best, sad as that may be. However, I think you will find that with a few inexpensive purchases, and some of the info contained here you will discover a world fantastic.

I will tell you my complaints of the competing worlds in a few short sentences. The Forgotten Realms is too complete... too corporate perfect. Eberon... cool but not really the fantasy world I think of when I think Swords and Sorcery.

The info on this site can help to fill out the Flaness for you. There is more coming every day. Take what you want, make it what you want, and enjoy.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:06 pm  

To add to Anced's comments... Make GH yours.

You'll see a lot of discussion on this site about what's "canon" and what's not. Feel free to chime in, but don't let canon determine your version of GH.

My favorite part of GH is the vagueness and wide open spaces for a DM to stretch his legs. Freedom, as it were.

Get the LGG, by the way. It's a lot like the Gazzetter, but more detailed. I keep a copy of the Gazzetter in my players' folder, and they refer to it at the Player's Guide to GH.

And Eberron would be far, far better with more grit and less frills in the costumes.

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 17, 2007 5:45 am  
    repost: oerik and oerth.

i've found a map of oerik, and read the first four journals (will be reading the rest soon!) but i'm hoping that there are still people working on pushing back the boundaries of the known oerth!

what resources exist to further my knowledge of oerik and the rest of oerth, please?

(i'm looking into the things already posted above! thanks!)

edit: having looked into the above links, i'm noticing that not much has been done to map the "other three great continents" that exist in addition to oerik. one lies to the west, another to the east, and one to the south, from what i'm gathering of the journal writings. hepmonaland appears to have been relegated to the status of "greater island" of which i believe there are supposed to be several.

considering that oerth is larger than earth, and with fewer continents (4 instead of 6), that gives a lot of room for three more "great continents" plus "vast seas". not to mention the hole in the artic north of the planet leading to the inner sphere....

all the maps i've seen so far, while very fine and well crafted, are too small! anybody out there working on a planetary map?

Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 am  

I made one.

Abysslin's 589 CY Darlene Compatible Map

Sun May 27, 2007 6:25 pm  

beautiful map, i shall certainly make use of it. ^^

would you happen to have any maps of the other three great continents besides oerik? =D

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:33 pm  

In case anyone is still checking in on this thread, the Oerth Journal is currently undertaking a massive project to detail the rest of Oerik. Some of the info can be found on these boards. Be sure to go to oerthjournal.com to check out the latest issue (and all the past ones, for that matter.). It's good stuff and it's free.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:14 pm  

thanks! i will be sure to do so.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: