JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Quasqueton
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Quasqueton
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:12 am  
    Quasqueton

I have looked thru the forums. I have discovered that B2-Keep on the Borderlands is supposedly in the Western edge of the Tors in the Yeomanry. I was looking thru B1-In Search of the Unknown. I discovered that the two seem to be linked, but B1 is set somewhere in Ratik or Tenh or the Pale (page 6). It follows that B2 is there as well.

Where is the reference at which shows B2 in the Yeomanry? Are B1 and B2 considered canon? Wasn't B1 suppose to be part of "The Return to the Keep on the Borderlands" remake? It does mention Quasqueton on the map but that seems to be about it. Has anyone written up anything with Quasqueton or its former owners?

I know I tend to beat dead horses, but B1 seems to be an overlooked gem of Greyhawk.

Thanks for any thoughts or imput.
    Skech
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:56 am  

B1 and B2 were not linked in any way when first published. There was not really a world yet, but some talk about Greyhawk led to B1 being delcared to potentially be in Ratik. I like it there because it fits the whole idea that the wizard and fighter went north to fight the barbarians and were never seen again. I always placed B2 around the Wild Coast, but it had no official connection to Greyhawk when it came out. It was only placed in the Yeomanry by Return to the Keep on the Boarderlands. That is when the Caves of the Unknown from B2 became Quasqueton from B1. I don't particularly like that placement - but the pair could have instead gotten lost in the Sea of Dust....

ROB
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:02 pm  

I know this thread is several years old, but....

Technically, B1 & B2 were placed in Mystara's Known World. Locations for both were given on a map in the expert set released in 1984(?).

Later B2's "Cave of the Unknown" was replaced by B1 linking them together in the super-module compilation B1-9.

Things changed again when Return to the Keep on the Borderlands was placed in the Yeomanry in Greyhawk.

Both of the classic gems can pretty much be placed anywhere you want them to be. As far as official placement, it depends on which book you're reading.
    CF Admin

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:23 pm  

geoffields, the first and second printings of B1 list Greyhawk locations for the module, so it's definitely pre-Mystara. Details at http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/b1.html and http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_lost_dungeons.html

You can still put them anywhere you want, of course, and the B1 locations (much like S1's suggested locations) weren't set down in stone.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:37 am  

Well according to the intro Information in B1 it is located in the Griff Mountain area of the Pale. In The return to the Keep on the Borderlands there is nothing from B1.
    CF Admin

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:58 am  

vonbek wrote:
    Well according to the intro Information in B1 it is located in the Griff Mountain area of the Pale. In The return to the Keep on the Borderlands there is nothing from B1.

I'm not familiar with that info; can you please provide some quotation vonbek (great stories, btw---"The Warhound and the World's Pain" is likely my favorite Moorcock fantasy novel).

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:58 am  

I can't find it now but I know I read it somewhere. Perhaps in the original edition of the module that I got in the first Basic D&D box set. Yes I've been at this that long. I just always knew it was in that area and I do remeber it saying somewhere. Maybe it was in the original Greyhawk Potfolio.
    CF Admin

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:47 pm  

vonbek wrote:

Ah, I hadn't read your original post closely enough: the Griff Mountains stuck out, not near the Pale part ;) The original printing of B1 does mention the Pale as a possible location (though not the Griffs specifically).

Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:03 am  

grodog wrote:
    vonbek wrote:

Ah, I hadn't read your original post closely enough: the Griff Mountains stuck out, not near the Pale part ;) The original printing of B1 does mention the Pale as a possible location (though not the Griffs specifically).

I just figured the Griffs since that is the mountain range handy to the Pale. Although I guess the Rakers would work better. It's been awhile. It should definitly not be part of the Keep on the Borderlands like in the Return to the Keep module would suggest.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:04 pm  
    From TFM..

On page 6 of the module, in the original 1979 printing:

Note: In the mythical WORLD OF GREYAWK (available from TSR) the stronghold can be considered within any one of the following lands -- the Barony of Ratik, the Duchy of Tenh, or the Theocracy of the Pale.

That fits in well with the broader background of Zelligar and Rogahn having ended their careers fighting "the hated barbarians" to the north.

I am actually in the midst of running a group of new AD&D 1E players through this module. I'm placing it, for my own purposes, along the border of the Suss Forest at the western verge of the Wild Coast, and have replaced references to "barbarians in the north" with "humanoids in the south" (the campaign is pre-GW/FtA; I might at some point make Turrosh Mak one of their recurring baddies).

Thulcondar
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: