JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Expedition to Castle Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Expedition to Castle Greyhawk
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:35 pm  
    Expedition to Castle Greyhawk

I did not attend Gencon this year (as I had an unlovely time at Gencon 2005). However, word making its way out of the 2006 Con suggests we may see - Expedition to Castle Greyhawk in late 2007. This would follow the format of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (Oct 2006) and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits (April 2007), already announced. Sort of like the old "Return to X" series.

And the putative author whose name is being bandied about is . . . EM.

I have no clue whether Expedition to Castle Greyhawk is really on the boards or if EM is the actual author. I'm just passing along the scuttlebutt. Take it or leave it.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 pm  

I did attend Gencon but I missed out on all the pretinent seminars. I did talk to EM briefly but not about anything WotC. Later on I thought of going back to the paizo booth to ask him about any 2007 rumors but by then he was gone. EtGH would rankle some feathers to be sure, time to start digging for some gencon news.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm  

This really surprises me, considering EGG is releasing his own version through Troll Lord Games (and even though it's written for Castles & Crusades, I thought Erik would have more respect for the Master than to step on that release).

Ah, well, we'll see when more info is available I suppose.

Thulcondar
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:13 pm  

I didn't go to GenCon either, but in the report I saw, EtCG was described as "under consideration". I can only take that to mean someone proposed the idea, but it hasn't been greenlit or rejected yet.
    CF Admin

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:13 pm  

Thanks for the tips, folks :D

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:50 am  

Thulcondar wrote:
    This really surprises me, considering EGG is releasing his own version through Troll Lord Games (and even though it's written for Castles & Crusades, I thought Erik would have more respect for the Master than to step on that release).

Ah, well, we'll see when more info is available I suppose.

Thulcondar

It is safe to say Expedition to Castle Greyhawk was not EM's idea. Someone at Wotc thought up the project and EM was offered an opportunity to do some of the writing. EM was just taking advantage of an opportunity offered to him.

One can look at it this way, given that Wotc is going to publish EtoCG no matter what, who would you prefer to have work on it? EM or Ed Greenwood? That is an extreme (and unlikely) alternative but it makes my point. EM is a good man for the job. And when you consider the alternatives, he is one of the better men for the job.

I think if anyone has bigfooted Castle Zagyg, it would be Wotc. Still, we have seen multiple Castle Greyhawk's before. I see no problem, especially if CZ will now be either 1) perhaps terminally delayed, 2) abbreviated from 8 vols to 2 or 3, or 3) will not reflect EGG's original but just an "old school" feel, as RJK may be suggesting.

I think EM is clean. More power to him if he got the gig.

Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:40 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    One can look at it this way, given that Wotc is going to publish EtoCG no matter what, who would you prefer to have work on it? EM or Ed Greenwood? That is an extreme (and unlikely) alternative but it makes my point. EM is a good man for the job. And when you consider the alternatives, he is one of the better men for the job.

That's very true. And I should know; I used to be his DM (in Greyhawk!) back when we both lived in Boston. Wink

Thulcondar
    Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 am  

Digging up some further info from the latest Dragon (347), EM's editorial drops this hint while talking about taverns in adventures:

I'm currently at work on a top-secret hardcover adventure book for (WotC) in which a tavern (well an inn, really) features prominently. I wisely set the adventure's opening scene far from the jovial common room...

I wonder where this inn might be located and where the opening scene 'far from it' begins? Hmmm.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:36 am  

The Whistling Fish perhaps? The hill giant owned tavern in GH?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:42 am  

If it has anything to do with GH it could be "The Green Dragon Inn", which is where all the well known folks hang out and where THE stories are told.

Other than GH locations, the non-GH inn with all the planar doors(can't remember it's name) might be more probable.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:25 pm  

Quote:
    Other than GH locations, the non-GH inn with all the planar doors(can't remember it's name) might be more probable.
    the World Serpant?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:23 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:

I think if anyone has bigfooted Castle Zagyg, it would be Wotc. Still, we have seen multiple Castle Greyhawk's before. I see no problem, especially if CZ will now be either 1) perhaps terminally delayed, 2) abbreviated from 8 vols to 2 or 3,.

What happened to the Castle Zagyg project?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:54 pm  

Quote:
    What happened to the Castle Zagyg project?
    Rob K. pulled out of it, but Troll Lords still insists it will be released.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:09 am  

I don't have the link but Mona all but confirms it is Castle Greyhawk on the Paizo boards - winking and nudging - and announcing it will be a Gencon 2007 release and thus soon to be unveiled in Wotc's advance announcements, or Amazon's posting thereof, I'd imagine.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:50 am  

And confirmation is now all but a lock.

I just watched the video of the "Sneek Peak" seminar at Gencon and saw the art for a "Gencon 2007 release" which clearly depicts Mordenkainen (as on the LGG cover) looking in a crystal ball in which is a castle with three towers. A castle with three towers . . . hmmm Welcome to Expedition to Castle Greyhawk! Courtesy of the ubiquitous Eric Mona.

As Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is a revision and expansion of the original Ravenloft (I6), I think we can expect EtoCG to be a revision and expansion of Greyhawk Ruins WGR1. No offense to EM but I was "meh" about WGR1. We'll see what a new set of eyes can do for it. Hopefully, it will not reuse the uninspired WGR1 maps.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:08 am  

no kidding, I thought a couple of the level maps in Greyhawk Ruins were decent, but most of them were atrocious.
    CF Admin

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:59 pm  

I assume this is the Paizo thread in question?:
    http://paizo.com/dragon/messageboards/generalDiscussion/erikMonasLatestSecretProject&page=3

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:23 pm  

I'm totally stoked about this. This would be the first time since the LGG that WotC has produced something "official" for Greyhawk. And if EM is on the job, then it will be true 'hawk. I know some people are ambivalent about WotC supporting GH, but I would love to see some official material outside Dungeon and Dragon for my favorite campaign setting... as long as they don't blow up the world again. :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:31 am  

grodog wrote:
    I assume this is the Paizo thread in question?:
    http://paizo.com/dragon/messageboards/generalDiscussion/erikMonasLatestSecretProject&page=3

Grodog to the rescue! Smile That would be the Paizo thread.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:21 pm  

Good discovery GVD!

As for WGR1, when compared to GH's many reviled publications, this one has been rather well received from discussions I've been in. That said, yes the maps are horrid, they look like a grade schooler made them with crayons.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:42 pm  

Besides the obvious SKR-Mordenkainen reference in the pic from this link Happy, the CENTER portion of the pic is an actual screen capture from the WOTC presentation at GENCON 2006 of the upcoming "secret project":

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/btmcrae/?action=view&current=SKR-Mordenkainen-Coincidence-Ithink.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Note how the subject being scried bears a striking resemblance to a certain legendary Greyhawk locale...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:47 am  

Can't say I've got much interest in this. I'll be happy enough with the Castle Zagyg stuff as it gets put out. Yggsburgh is perhaps one of my all time favorite RPG products ever. If the rest of the series is only half as good I would still be more than pleased.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:49 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    ... the CENTER portion of the pic is an actual screen capture from the WOTC presentation at GENCON 2006 of the upcoming "secret project":

Hey! That's my screen capture! Just wanted to take proper credit. ;-)
    Yup, the castle in the middle is an exact reproduction of the castle shown on the cover of WGR1. Compare...

WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins cover http://melkot.com/stuff/TSR9292.jpg
    (Which, honestly, wasn't a very good depiction of a castle in the first place)
    Sneek Peek Aug 07 cover http://melkot.com/stuff/EtGR-cover.jpg
    Screen capture from the seminar video (for those of you who don't have a connection fast enough to download an 82mb file!)

For those who had any doubt about what Erik's Secret Project was, that should pretty much put an end to it.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    ============================
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:38 pm  

OOPS! Yes, thanks to Maldin for getting the screen capture! Happy It would have been difficult for me to get it as I am still consigned to that special subsection of the 7th layer of Hell known as the demesne of the loathed dail-up user.
    Novice

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:41 pm  

airwalkrr wrote:
    I'm totally stoked about this. This would be the first time since the LGG that WotC has produced something "official" for Greyhawk. [...]

Not exactly, they later released the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, which, by the way, was kind of boring.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:00 am  

Monteblanco wrote:
    Not exactly, they later released the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, which, by the way, was kind of boring.

Thats a diplomatic way of putting it. Wink
    Novice

Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:29 am  

DangerDwarf wrote:
    Monteblanco wrote:

Thats a diplomatic way of putting it. Wink

Yes, I actually think it was almonst a waste of my time. However, RtToEE is not the focus of the discussion here.
    CF Admin

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 pm  

So any official confirmation from Erik yet? He may be working on a different project, still....

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:13 pm  

In the two times I've seen Mona in chat on Thursdays he has artfully dodged the question of his project. Not much more than that to say at this point.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:47 pm  

Most likely non-disclosure agreement is involved.

See Erik 'hawk.
    'Hawk Erik! 'Hawk!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: