JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A New Bit of Mighty Servant Lore
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A New Bit of Mighty Servant Lore
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:12 pm  
    A New Bit of Mighty Servant Lore

I don't know if anyone else caught this but the "Future Tech Meets Fantasy" article this month at wizards.com has expanded a bit on the history of the Mighty Servant of Leuk-o, including among other things that the Servant "...is believed to be a construct of some ancient and mysterious race who lived in and around the Barrier Peaks before migrating to the far west."
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:48 pm  

Nice find! And very interesting! Thanks for the link. Smile

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:42 am  

Does anyone know of any published refences to western Oerk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm  

Wasn't the new d20 'Chainmail' setting Western Oerik? I remember it not being too much to my liking, but that might give you a start...

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 pm  

Note that the Living Greyhawk Journal says that Leuk-o discovered the Mighty Servant at the other side of the continent, in the Hestmark Highlands. If he discovered it in the Barrier Peaks instead, that changes the chronology of his and Lum's conquests to much earlier in the Oeridian migrations.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Note that the Living Greyhawk Journal says that Leuk-o discovered the Mighty Servant at the other side of the continent, in the Hestmark Highlands. If he discovered it in the Barrier Peaks instead, that changes the chronology of his and Lum's conquests to much earlier in the Oeridian migrations.

The article just mentions the Barrier Peaks as the place of origin of the mysterious race who are believed to be the creators of the Servant, so it doesn't really conflict with the Belching Vortex story. It could have gotten sucked through some dimensional rift in the the Barrier Peaks and ended up in the Hestmarks.

I think the innovation of a futuristic tech item being possessed by a glabrezu is kind of a neat idea though I don't care for making the Servant a future tech artifact, even though I'm pretty sure Gygax's intention was that it be so.

Yeah, I know, get the torches, pitchforks and those wooden rake-things from the Frankenstein movies. Wink

Also, if Wolfsire is listening, the rumored "... now extinct branch of the dwarves" could make an iteresting tie-in with the Derro in "When A Star Falls."
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:39 am  

MichaelSandar wrote:
    Wasn't the new d20 'Chainmail' setting Western Oerik? I remember it not being too much to my liking, but that might give you a start...

Yes. Chainmail has the most information. Dragon published a number of follow-on Chainmail articles too.

The commentary to the Dragon Annual Map of Oerth includes the West but is much more abbreviated, but also covers a wider area too.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I don't care for making the Servant a future tech artifact, even though I'm pretty sure Gygax's intention was that it be so.

I am notably tolerant of SF elements in GH but I have to say the "mecha" idea leaves me pretty cold. I don't particularly care for this take on the Servant but it is interesting.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:06 am  
    Well...

Hi all,

The idea of giant mech/artifacts in Greyhawk is probably much more palatable to those of us who grew up watching Voltron or Robotech at the same time as they were learning D&D. Back in the '80s, I always planned on using Voltron as the Mighty Servant...

Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Yak-Men still have the old episodes on tape...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:19 pm  
    Re: Well...

Scottenkainen wrote:
    Hi all,

The idea of giant mech/artifacts in Greyhawk is probably much more palatable to those of us who grew up watching Voltron or Robotech at the same time as they were learning D&D. Back in the '80s, I always planned on using Voltron as the Mighty Servant...

Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Yak-Men still have the old episodes on tape...

I always pictured it as (showing my age) Great Mazinger from the Shogun Warriors figures.

I never noticed this before but the text from Eldritch Wizardry, or at least the text in Encyclopedia Magica cited as being from Eldritch Wizardry states that the Servant is the "...relic of a visiting race of space travelers."

Does it say anything like that in the 1st edition DMG? Just wondering and my copy is long gone.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:59 pm  
    Re: Well...

smillan_31 wrote:
    Does it say anything like that in the 1st edition DMG? Just wondering and my copy is long gone.

Nope — just "gods long forgotten," nothing about space travelers.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:07 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    I am notably tolerant of SF elements in GH but I have to say the "mecha" idea leaves me pretty cold. I don't particularly care for this take on the Servant but it is interesting.

Yes. It strips away the magic and mystery from it, leaving something much more mundane. It's not an artifact anymore, only a combination of two rather unexceptional things (a transplanted mecha and a demon).

I don't object to transplanted mecha in Greyhawk, but it seems a shame to reduce the Mighty Servant of Leuk-o (or any famous artifacts) to one.

What's more, any technological race dwelling in the prehistoric Flanaess should have had their science evolve along very different lines than what we see in Robotech or whatever. If we're citing Voltron, I think the Ro-Beasts, made by an evil hag, would be much more appropriate than their antithesis.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: