JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk comics
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk comics
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:41 am  
    Greyhawk comics

I came across the Wikipedia reference to several Greyhawk styled comics. Other Vecna which I consider excellent are they any good? Both in terms of art and perhaps more important storyline.

In the Shadow of Dragons (N°1 to N°8), by Jay Donovan, Tyler Walpole & Hung Mac
    Tempest's Gate (N°1 to N°4)
    Black & White (N°1 to N°6)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:00 pm  
    Ah, Greyhawk's sad comic history...

Hi again,

If the Greytalk archives were up, you could read Russ Taylor's old defense of Kenzer's Greyhawk comics and their treatment of Rel Astra in the first mini-series. Our argument boiled down, I believe, to me trying to use real world cultural analogs (see the recent Canonfire threads for more on that decade-old chestnut) to suggest that the Rel Astra in the comics looked nothing like the Mediterranean city state Rel Astra should look like, and Russ countering that cultural analogs cannot be backed with published canon. The rest of our argument was D&D edition-specific. Old School-wise, there was no way Drax should have been scared of a few blue dragons -- he could have gone out alone and subdued them.

More generally, I was told by Kenzer around that time that they purposely intended to keep Greyhawk references in the comics to a minimum. Base your decision to read on that.

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Yak-Men often dwell on old battles...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: