Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Demons (Tanari) rulebook(s)?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Demons (Tanari) rulebook(s)?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:41 am  
    Demons (Tanari) rulebook(s)?

I am one of those guys still clinging to the old rules and in my case 2nd edition. Now I am desperately seeking information about demons. I know they were re-named Tanari or something like that, but in the Monster Mythology 1 there were only two types mentioned! Where can I find the rest and especially the demon lords like Graz'zt , Orcus and those? Is there some kind of rulebook about the lower planes?
    GreySage

Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:32 pm  

Yes. In 2nd edition, outer planar creatures were statted in the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix. Those stats were revised in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix.

Graz'zt was statted in Iuz the Evil, Planes of Chaos, and For Duty and Deity. Pazuzu (as Pazrael) was statted in Iuz the Evil and Planes of Chaos.

Orcus was never statted in 2nd edition, but he played a major role in the module Dead Gods.

Demogorgon, Kostchtchie, Baphomet, and Yeenoghu all got avatar stats in Monster Mythology.

The 1st edition Monster Manual and Monster Manual II would also be of interest.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:34 pm  

Hrmm, the best be for demon names is probable the original Fiend Folio, and 1e monster manual. 2e had a series of boxed sets for the planescape settingthat had info about the planes of chaos, the planes of law, and the neutral planes..good look finding those however.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:53 pm  

Yeah, I got all the 1st ed rulebooks and even some strange supplement named Demons, but I was most interested in the 2nd ed stuff if there are any? They can't be in Planescape can they? I mean, if you do not play that campaign, they should be somewhere else. :-/
    GreySage

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:34 am  

Graazzt wrote:
    They can't be in Planescape can they?

Of course they're in Planescape. It wasn't just a seperate campaign - it contained information for use in any campaign that included the other planes of existence. It was the replacement and expansion of 1st edition sources about the planes.

But there was some material elsewhere, as I said above.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:58 am  

Graazzt wrote:
    Yeah, I got all the 1st ed rulebooks and even some strange supplement named Demons, but I was most interested in the 2nd ed stuff if there are any? They can't be in Planescape can they? I mean, if you do not play that campaign, they should be somewhere else. :-/

pretty much everthing 2e about demons, angels, slaad, etc will be planescape. And the "Demons" book was by Role Aids, was it not, and not really TSR.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:13 pm  

Yup, it sure was Role Aids.

OK, thanks guys. I always thought Planescape was something completely different. Time to do some shopping at Paizo soon I guess. :-)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:01 am  

rasgon wrote:
    . . . Planescape. It wasn't just a seperate campaign - it contained information for use in any campaign that included the other planes of existence. It was the replacement and expansion of 1st edition sources about the planes.

Not exactly.

It was presented initially as a seperate campaign and not as a replacement or expansion of 1st edition sources about the planes. I attended the Gencon launch and spoke with Zeb Cook at the time. One need only look to the Guide to Hell and Warriors of Heaven to see that there was more than one "officialdom." It was not all PS, all the time in 2E.

In 3X, substantial amounts of PS have become "core." But not everything. Rather, it has been a selective incorporation.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:02 am  

rasgon wrote:
    . . . Planescape. It wasn't just a seperate campaign - it contained information for use in any campaign that included the other planes of existence. It was the replacement and expansion of 1st edition sources about the planes.

Not exactly.

It was presented initially as a seperate campaign and not as a replacement or expansion of 1st edition sources about the planes. I attended the Gencon launch and spoke with Zeb Cook at the time. One need only look to the Guide to Hell and Warriors of Heaven to see that there was more than one "officialdom." It was not all PS, all the time in 2E.

In 3X, substantial amounts of PS have become "core." But not everything. Rather, it has been a selective incorporation.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:06 am  

Graazzt wrote:
    Yup, it sure was Role Aids.

OK, thanks guys. I always thought Planescape was something completely different. Time to do some shopping at Paizo soon I guess. :-)

PS was different, if not completely, as it turns out. See post above.

Role Aids was a TSR licensed product, albeit contentious, ultimately resulting in a lawsuit that did away with the license. As a licensed use, is it "official," like the Paizo license? No. Is it utterly distinct? Also, no. The Demons and Sentinels (angels) lines IMO have a lot to offer a game, if you want what they are offering. If you just want "official," they can be skipped.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: