Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Collaborative Pantheon Project (01)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Collaborative Pantheon Project (01)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:12 am  
    Collaborative Pantheon Project (01)

I've been toying with a wider Baklunish pantheon. I've got various ideas, which I hope to share over time. Right now I'm asking for help with some brainstorming, as I have an idea for a new addition to the Baklunish pantheon.

Below is a rough "sketh" of my ideas for this particular being. Please give any thought, not just on what I've written, but on adding depth to this deity. And don't be afraid to just say "this is crap" (and why).

- - - - - -

NAME
    (Enforcer of the Law), LG intermediate god of the Sun, Law and Justice

- sun god of law and justice.
    - associated with shedim (see Fiend Folio, and note the image of Dhabiya's (Zeif) ancient gates in LGJ5's "Rock of the West").
    - Domains*: Inquisition, Law, Protection, Sun, War
    - Doesn’t pass judgement, only acts as enforcer. Favored among militias, guards and such. May also say favored among lawyers, but not sure.

* RE Domains: I'd thought of putting in Nobility, as both Heironeous and Mayahein (both similar in nature - but not exact matches) have the domain. I'm not sure if it fits.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:46 am  

You're welcome to use as much of my expanded pantheon as you wish (see the War God of the Baklunish thread for a list), so long as its for your personal use, or to posted here with proper credit. The above god is very close to the one I'd created for the pantheon, Amun-tu. If you want more, I'd be happy to help.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:47 pm  

hi ephealy, before much comment, would you tell why you eschewed Al'Akbar and Azor'alq?

You mention the LGJ 5, so I presume you read the LGJ 3 that detailed Azor'alq and included tantalizing bits about Al'Akbar and the exodus of the Bakluni royalty.

You're creation seems well encapsulated between the two gods I mentioned...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 pm  

Sure, mtg.

Al-Akbar is post ID, so I ignored him. I'm dealing only with ancient (pre-ID) Baklunish deities. Azor'alq is a paladin (or at least devoted follower) of Pelor (Al-Asran to many on these boards).

I see the Bakkies as moving east, picking up some cultural elements from various groups as they go. They mixed a bit with the Oeridians that were also moving east at the time. They likely mixed with other paynim groups, and probably with some of the cultures and peoples that were in the western Sulhauts (Ancient Risay and Komal for instance) before they got there.

This new deity came from my development of Risay and Komal, in fact.

That, and I don't see the Bakkies as particularly devoted worshipers of a set pantheon until very late in the game. They likely borrowed a good portion of their "gods" from others.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:27 am  

I'm not keen on Azor Alq being a follower of Pelor anyways, as he predates the founding of the Baklunish Dynasty and empires, and he predates contact with Flan. Flan missionaries to the west could be a factor there, but is very unlikely that the cultural hero of the Baklunish would not be a follower of a traditional Baklunish god of some kind, or that he would be uplifted and venerated as he is. I'm not keen on the whole Al-Asran thing either though so that is part of it as well. Rather than properly expand the Baklunish pantheon, other gods were simply borrowed form other cultural pantheons and renamed. It all seems a bit too non-Baklunish to me(because it is). Other gods were created based on the names of others who made some sort of magical artifact, and that has gone wild with the LGG which included a few.

This could be an interesting project. Might wear out my ' key typing the names though. Just kidding. Happy

This "war" god is interesting in its divergence. Nobility need not be included, perhaps precisely because Heironeous and Mayaheine have it. Not that the Baklunish are not noble, but their gods view their responsibilities and what they extol in different ways. Call it "cultural differences". Cultural differences would be good things to highlight in describing any new Baklunish gods- different views and perceptions of similar things basically.

***Also, as a suggestion, this thread should probably be moved to perhaps a new Greyhawk Projects forum so that it dosesn't get buried in the most active forum section on this site. Besides, considering the recently announced fate of published Greyhawk material, there may be a lot more Greyhawk Projects underway here at Canonfire! in the near future.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:07 am  

The real question is can GH handle anymore gods?

What was the number at last count anyway; 300 or so?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:30 am  

301 ... http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2521

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:46 pm  

At this point, what are another 4 or so gods added to the list. Not like its that many, and more to the point they are for a pantheon that was never properly expanded upon in the fist place.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:28 pm  

Exactly. When one is trying to work out the details of a religion, it helps to know about all of the beings/philosophies/etc., worshipped. How many gods can WoG have? Our own Earth has had hundreds (possibly thousands) of gods, and dozens of religions, past and present. A few more WoG gods won't hurt anyone. Smile
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: