JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - [Slightly OT] Placing GH in FR
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    [Slightly OT] Placing GH in FR
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:36 am  
    [Slightly OT] Placing GH in FR

Please forgive the FRCS question.. I've got some GH locations I'd like to place in the FRCS (long story). I'm hoping someone here can help me out:

- White Plume Mountain
    - Lost Caverns of Tsocjanth

One more... Is there an area in the FRCS that would be analogous to the Bandit Kingdoms? Ie... sandwhiched betwix two regions that have recently duked it out in a war. Some place where a nation would want to look for a location for a forward base to monitor enemy movements?
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 am  

Plenty, really. I'd suggest Cormyr, or Unther. Cormyr would definitely be looking for a forward post, Unther was invaded by Mulhorand, and is now a didvided nation. The only BK-like areas on Faerun are the Dalelands (which is less bandit-y, more a loose affiliation of petty kingdoms) or Sembia (which is more like a bandit/ruthlessly mercantile nation). Personally, I'd place WPM in one of the mountains east of Waterdeep (replacing Greyhawk with WD), and LCoT somewhere around Vassa, Damara or the Moonsea, considering the history of the area could be worked to include the history and politics presented in LCoT. Hope this helps! Playing in WoG, though, you wouldn't have to place these modules... Happy

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:34 am  

Heh. I don't have a choice. I'm supposed to run a short arc in the FRCS and all I know is WOG.

I'd thought about using the area east of Waterdeep, specifically the area due north of Secomber, en route to the High Forest. I would have to look into the region and see what power groups might want to cause Waterdeep harm, though. From the (albeit limited) research I did this afternoon, Zent Keep might be the antagonists if I go this route. (Unless someone can suggest a better "Empire of Iuz" stand-in. (/me makes mental note to also figure out what the Stronghold of the Nine and Endless Caverns are.)

The Mulhorand / Unther (Thay) dynamic might also be a good one. Since the backstory for the adventure includes some nasty mages doing naughty research, Unther's Thay allies would be good stand-ins. I'll have to look into the current state of the tensions in the region... as all I know is that Murghom and Semphar are rivals (I know nothing about Mulhorand...)

Anyway, thanks for the reply. If you can think of other tidbits, I'm all "eyes."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:14 pm  

Lost Caverns would go great in Vaasa. As for a stand in for the Empire of Iuz, there is also Thay (massive rocky plains that are lich-controlled) far to the east. If I remember there were also some decent mountains south of Thay that could support a volcano or two for White Plume.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:36 pm  

I suppose I need to stress that I'd prefer a castle / keep / stronghold that was used at some time by a powerful magician of some sort. If this person had "questionable ethics," all the better. If FRCS doesn't have such a location in a region that fits the bill, I suppose I can fudge some more backstory...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:25 pm  

I don't suppose they could ride a rollercoaster, fall into the WoG and have Dungeon Master give them a riddle and tell them the only way they can get home of their beloved FR is to visit the Lost Caverns ... Laughing

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:13 pm  

heh - nope
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:03 pm  

OK, I need to be quick.

The Savage North is a pretty good place to put just about anything. In addition to Zhentil Keep, there's a yuan-ti kingdom in the Serpent Hills, tons of orcs, and fey'ri based in the Nameless Dungeon (I think). Fey'ri are elf-tanar'ri crossbreeds.

The Border Kingdoms, near the Lake of Mist, are a small and frac
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:20 pm  

Cormyr the Stonelands. The Nether Mountains in the North or way down South in Zakhara.

Check out the Wizard's Web articles on the Border Kingdoms which sounds ideal for your purpose.

If you go South into Zakhara there are the Cities of the North (Actually the Western Shore of the continent) which has several City States involved in wars against each other on a regular basic. $5 buck or so for a PDF for the Al-Qadim land of Fate which is mostly general information including area secrets.

The Wizard's Border Kingdoms web articles from Powers of Faerun could also fit the bill.

Last edited by castlemike on Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:22 pm  

ephealy wrote:
    I suppose I need to stress that I'd prefer a castle / keep / stronghold that was used at some time by a powerful magician of some sort. If this person had "questionable ethics," all the better. If FRCS doesn't have such a location in a region that fits the bill, I suppose I can fudge some more backstory...

One place you might like to consider is the Dragonsjaw Mountains west of Thay, north of Aglarond and south of Thesk. Part of the plot for Lost Caverns was that the PCs were hired by the Marquis of Bissel, which was at odds with Iuz, Veluna, Ket and Perrenland over the race to the treasure. If you want, you could have your PCs hired by Aglarond, Impiltur, Thesk, Altumbel or even a Red Wizard of Thay, and use that as the way to introduce your players into the plot.

As for who the keep belonged to, remember that the Red Wizards are a very secretive and paranoid bunch, even from each other. It's perfectly believable that one of them snuck off to an isolated mountain range where he could pursue his goals without his fellow Thayans finding out. Other Red Wizards, obviously, would be interested to learn more about what their erstwhile companion was up to, and might send out parties to rival the PCs, which is something you could add in for spice.

Of course, in the original Lost Caverns, the DM could easily have created rival parties from Veluna, Perrenland, Ket or Iuz who are also after the treasure, and may end up being friends or foes to the PCs, depending on how you and your players handle things. There's no doubt the same thing could occur if your party is from Thesk and they find themselves at odds with Aglarond.
    Novice

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:40 pm  

Both modules could fit well in Vaasa/Damara/Narfell region. Check out the second edition sourcebook for details (The Bloodstone Lands). Also see the old Bloodstone seried of modules. Very wild region with lots of baddies. Zhengyi the Witch King (very powerful lich) makes a good substitute for Iuz as well. He's sufficiently strong enough and much of his power was channeled directly through Orcus, giving a whole demonic connection to his power. With some work you could even convert Vaasa and/or Narfell into Bandit Kingdomlike regions, provided you don't have to stick too close to canon.

Other interesting regions you may want to look at are the Shaar, Dambrath and regions east of Narfell/north of Rashemen for possible locations for a Bandit Kingdoms region.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: