JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Incabulos
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Incabulos
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:50 am  
    Incabulos

I have a wish to begin a GH campaign in the next few months once my current one ends. I wish to focus on the Greater God of Plagues Incabulos. Beyond the fact that his name is very fun to say I would like to learn more about him and his church than is written in LGG. With that in mind can any of you sages point me in the right direction? This could 0, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3.5 information I am use to converting. Did he ever feature prominently in any classic adventures? Does he like pie?
    Thank you in advance for all he help.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:14 am  
    Re: Incabulos

Henraldo wrote:
    Did he ever feature prominently in any classic adventures?

Nope. He's very mysterious, as greater deities of evil go. Tharizdun and Nerull are used a lot, but Incabulos seems to keep a low profile.

Quote:
    Does he like pie?

He hates it. He also hates your mom.

I'm pretty confident there was at least one good article on Incabulos in the Oerth Journal (I'd link, but the site seems to be down currently). There were some others on the Greytalk mailing list that I could send you if you wanted.

I'd also take a look at Wykthor's articles on his night hag consorts:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=540
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=543
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=542
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:30 am  

Well if he is indeed as mysterious as you say I may have to do some serious writeups and submit them to the OJ if they will have me.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:27 pm  

Dungeon mag #105 did a pretty cool 4th level adventure called "The Stink", which features a tribe of Incabulos-worshipping locathah. It has some good ideas for the cult of Incabulos as well as some nasty new diseases. Worth checking out.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:06 am  

Well as it turns out I've got issue 105 right here. That bears some extra reading. Hmmm it looks like the Flaeness is due for a plague that only my PC's can stop. Thank you so much for this adventure it can give me a place to start.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:35 am  

My pleasure, anything for a fellow plague-spreader! The only other thing I could suggest is Dragon #71 (from 1983), on page 53 is 1 ed. write-up and a very creepy picture of him. It mentions that he is served by night hags and hordlings, the latter have been updated to 3.5 in Dungeon #124 in the Maure Castle adventure. They're pretty cool monsters to use as you can customize their forms and are versatile enough for most levels. Good luck!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:45 pm  

Personally i prefer Pyrimeus(sp), nothing like a horde of murderous jermalaine comeing after you.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 am  

Still haven't found the issue of Dragon with the write up, but with what info I have come across I brainstormed at work (what else am I going to do there? Work?) and have come up with enough campaign ideas to last 10 levels or so. although I am still looking for more to flesh out.
    Secret Clerics hunting down old artifacts of Tharizdun to co-opt into Incabulos needs. These secret clerics will fuel the artifact conversion with the souls of people tortured through plague and disaster until they have the power to move on to larger settlement to cause greater grief... and so on. Ive got 6 months or so to fully flesh it out.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:42 pm  

If you can, check out Dragon #294, it has two very cool artifacts dedicated to Tharizdun. One is the Rod of Entropy and the other is a major artifact sword called Druniazth. Both are pretty potent and may help your campaign ideas.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 am  

Great help.My information on Incabulos if almost complete enough to use him as a major enemy in the campaign. I have set the campaign up on the stretc of land betwixt Sunndi and the scarlet brotherhood. So Incabulos, temples of Tharizdun, vast Swamp, Scarlet Brother hood monks, threats from the sea, Sunndi trying to incorporate the town as a defense vs SB, all makes for atleast 12-15 levels of campaign goodness.
    Has anyone tried a campaign in this area? I know one of the Illegal religions in Sunndi is Incabulos so that will be fun.
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:30 pm  

Tizoc wrote up some good stuff on Incabulos for the Wild Coast-just-before-Turrosh-Mak campaign he ran while I was still living in CA. Great stuff. I'll nudge him this way next week while in CA.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:38 pm  

That would be most helpful. I've been doing my research and am finding incabulos can be a worthy foe to take up a whole campaign. I still am trying to find other destractions from him. If you face minion of Incabulos every week you might think something is up. I might throw them off the scent by using Yutrus (Incabulos in disguise to the orcs) but whom else would ally with the greater god of plagues. I dont want divine allies but who amongst say the fiendish community could be an ally of the big I?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:17 am  

Henraldo wrote:
    That would be most helpful. I've been doing my research and am finding incabulos can be a worthy foe to take up a whole campaign. I still am trying to find other destractions from him. If you face minion of Incabulos every week you might think something is up. I might throw them off the scent by using Yutrus (Incabulos in disguise to the orcs) but whom else would ally with the greater god of plagues. I dont want divine allies but who amongst say the fiendish community could be an ally of the big I?

Anthraxus?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:58 pm  

He is more than just plagues as well: nightmares and disaster. So you could have the queen of the night hags associating with him, Cegilune IIRC.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:08 pm  

Vormaerin wrote:
    He is more than just plagues as well: nightmares and disaster. So you could have the queen of the night hags associating with him, Cegilune IIRC.

I decided she was his consort.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:34 pm  

If you read my Secrets of the Twin Cataclysms at http://melkot.com/mysteries/cataclysms.html you'll see how I explain how Incabulos was "introduced" to Oerth (and why he seems so alien compared to the rest of the pantheons).

Years ago I had an idea to create an adventure where the PCs are in a race against priests of Incabulos from the Scarlet Brotherhood to locate the ancient burial site/tomb of someone who had died from a virulent plague from the past. The PCs to destroy the still-contaminated body... the priests to revive the long-disappeared plague. Never got around to it though. Feel free to borrow the idea for your own Incabulos campaign. ;-)

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 pm  

One last place to look: Dungeon #11 (old issue) had a good adventure called The Dark Conventicle for around 9th-10th level. It was a "damsel-in-distress" module that pits the the PCs against three rotting, disease-ridden priests of Anthraxus. Yeeesh!

Since you don't want every adventure to be about plagues, I'd suggest using the cult of Fraz-Urb'luu. Being followers of the Prince of Deception leaves it flexible enough to take adventure ideas in any direction you want, whether they're just side treks or important sub-plots.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: