JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dragon Skills - Opinions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Dragon Skills - Opinions
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:29 pm  
    Dragon Skills - Opinions

I've been working on a spreadsheet trying to figure out the best way to allocate skills for each type of dragon in a smooth, logical progression. I'd like a second, third, etc. opinion of how the skills are allocated. Any help would be most appreciated! Happy
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:46 pm  

Exactly how do you want to spread them out? I tend to view dragons as pretty specific encounters who rank up there with the main villains of my plots, if they are not in fact my villains.

But in general: spot, listen, bluff, diplomacy (I think that's one of theirs), jump, search, and sense motive all get maxed out, when I do one. A dragon with a +1 int mod would have those skills maxed.

Hope I can help some.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:10 pm  

I also pick a couple of Knowledge skills, arcana, undead, the planes, history especially, and Spellcraft. I add in Use Magic Device for access to some strange items when I really want a weird encounter.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm  

I've finalized my spreadsheet but I'm not really sure how to convey the information. One thing that's come out of 3E is that there's a whole lot more data.

With regard to knowledge skills though I staggered them. I gave each dragon two major areas of knowledge and one minor with very few overlaps. From a role-playing perspective my thought was to make it where if the party wants to find a dragonic expert on nature then seek a black dragon. White dragons only get one major and one minor 'cause they're kind of dumb. :)

Probably the most controversial decision I made is to give them all varying degrees of Jump and Climb skills. Only three of the dragons have Jump skill as a class skill. Basically, I don't want to assume that the dragon's wings are always going to be functional or that the situations they get into always warrent relying on flight. Dragons should still be able to Climb and Jump a fair distance.

Cheers!

Last edited by AWizardInDallas on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:51 am  

Knowledge Nature should come from Green Dragons I would think. Black Dragons would have more Knowledge DUngeoneering maybe. Gold for History.

I agree about Jump, only those that have it should put points in.

ROB
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:40 pm  

I gave them ALL some ability to Jump and Climb regardless of whether those are class skills or not. Wink

I gave ALL dragons a "major" in Knowledge Arcana because they're all Sorcerors. The rest are as follows:

Black :: Nature (Major); Local (Minor)
    Blue :: History (Major); Architecture (Minor)
    Green :: Geography (Major); Nature (Minor)
    Red :: Dungeoneering (Major); Architecture (Minor)
    White :: Dungeoneering (Minor); Nature (Major)
    Brass :: Local (Major); History (Minor);
    Bronze :: Religion (Major); Nobility (Minor)
    Copper :: Architecture (Major); Geography (Minor)
    Gold :: Nobility (Major); The Planes (Major); Religion (Minor)
    Silver :: The Planes (Major); Religion (Minor)

Cheers!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: