Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - You! Yes, you. What do you want on Canonfire?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    You! Yes, you. What do you want on Canonfire?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 am  
    You! Yes, you. What do you want on Canonfire?

Looking at the forums, I see lots of reads to various threads. Sometimes hundreds and hundreds have read a particular thread. On the front page, where new articles show up, an article will usually get anywhere from 100 to 400 reads.

This tells me Canonfire has at least an active readership of anywhere from 100 to 400 people.

Now. Count how many different people have submitted an article in the last year. Far fewer.

Sure some people have no interest or time to write and submit an article. Others may be nervous for one reason or another.

Maybe it would help if people knew what other people are looking to see in an article submission? It might give some people an idea to write something. It might encourage someone who wants to write on that topic but has been nervous about it.

So. What do you want to see? What would turn your crack, so to speak?

A community is only as strong as its participation. Lurking is fine. But if everyone lurked . . . well . . . you get the idea.

So come on. Not asking you to write anything here. Asking what you might like to see written.

So? You have the floor. Say on!

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:00 pm  

Being relatively new to this site, I haven't yet checked out everything available here. That said, I apologize if my suggestions are redundant.

Seeing how your current poll is about the WGR series, which I was a big fan of most of that series, I'd like to see more articles/modules based on adventure seeds from those sourcebooks. Particularly Iuz the Evil, The Marklands and Ivid the Undying. As a longtime DM and player, I found these books really did a good job of expanding GH from 1st ed. and are loaded with great ideas. I've seen some of them developed for 3.5 (most recently an excellent epic level dungeon of Darnakurian's Doom in OJ#22) and I have developed some for my own campaigns, but there are literally hundreds more I'd like to see done. I plan on submitting some of my own in the future, but it would be cool to see some fellow Greyhawkers' versions realized.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:00 pm  

As far as content is concerned, I don't think anything needs to be changed. This is already the best place on the web to go for new Greyhawk material (except, perhaps of the Oerth Journal site ;-)).

Nonetheless, I think CF! could benefit from a slight reorganization. It's not so easy to search for articles here. I'm no programmer so I wouldn't dare to suggest how such a thing could be done, but I have to admit I get a little frustrated sometimes searching through the tons of writing here.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to make the invitation to submit a bit more obvious. I didn't even know it was possible to submit articles to this site until I'd already ghosted here for some time. The little "submit article" link at the top left of the screen could be turned into something a bit more obvious. Also, I think it would be help to supply prospective writers a bit more information describing what a "good" submission might look like.

Other than that, keep up the good work. Long Live Greyhawk!
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 pm  

wow, good idea bubba. i'll get on it.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 pm  

Quote:
    Also, I think it would be help to supply prospective writers a bit more information describing what a "good" submission might look like.

That is a tough one. GVD has a GH style guide, http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Journal&file=display&jid=76.

But I do not know if that is what you had in mind.

Well, a good submission should have an interesting topic and that will vary for eveyone. It should be a good length. Short or long will depend on the topic and how long it can hold the interest of the reader's. (If you haven't notice, this is not a major concern for me Embarassed Wink ).

It should be gramatically correct, etc.

Just some thoughts. If you have read a few articles, and liked them, they may be good as examples.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:30 pm  

Im new around these parts and not wholly sure what sort of articles need writing. As an aspiring author I would definitelyly like to submit something. What about having a standing article pool. A list of articles (submitted by users or moderators) that those of us without direction can go to. sign up to write that article. I wanted to do a write up on Incabulos but found rather definitive write up in the OJ and also found out that another member had one going. I definitely want to submit.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:43 am  

Henraldo wrote:
    What about having a standing article pool. A list of articles (submitted by users or moderators) that those of us without direction can go to. sign up to write that article. I wanted to do a write up on Incabulos but found rather definitive write up in the OJ and also found out that another member had one going.

No one can prevent you from writing about something just because they got to the topic first. Your take will be your own. There is no calling "dibs" as such. If you are impressed by others work, cite to it and then spin off your own version. I think Wolfsire and I have both cited each others work on the Olman repeatedly along with Chatdemon's and Chirbiras's(sp) work. The result is a richer body of material. We play off each other, getting inspiration and then taking it in a different direction. If someone has written on a topic of interest to you, just figure out how you can take inspiration from that, with a citation, and then spin your own version. Happy

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:44 am  

I haven't submitted anything mainly because the thought never occured to me. Also because all the articles here appear to be written by allumi of Greyhawk, who are referencing works which were created before I was born!

But, since the call is going to out for fresh works, I'll see if I could wrack my head and come up with something.

I have had an idea knock about my noodle, which basicly came from my desire to one day get a player to say "Sooooo.......we have to save the dragon from the princess?"

So maybe an article on menaces to the Flaness that need splatting? I could maybe write o a few, but would anyone read them?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am  

DavidBedlam wrote:
    I haven't submitted anything mainly because the thought never occured to me. Also because all the articles here appear to be written by allumi of Greyhawk, who are referencing works which were created before I was born!

I had this same concern when I joined CF! as well. As of now, I have posted five different articles about the setting I love so well, Greyhawk, which references works which were created before I was born as well. If you have a story to tell or an area to expand, by all means, do so! That is the best part of both CF! and Greyhawk.

As a side note, not once have I been put down or 'slammed' because of my views on a GH subject here at CF!. This is one of the more friendly groups on the net. Sure, there is criticism, but no crucifixion!

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 am  

DavidBedlam wrote:
    ... referencing works which were created before I was born!

Laughing

DavidBedlam wrote:
    I haven't submitted anything ... because all the articles here appear to be written by allumi of Greyhawk.

I'm certainly not any kind of alumnus, just a guy who joined this forum a couple of years ago, but now I feel like an old fart. Wink

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:48 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    Also, I think it would be help to supply prospective writers a bit more information describing what a "good" submission might look like.

Other than that, keep up the good work. Long Live Greyhawk!

I am a long time reader of the site but rarely post but I would agree that some sort of submission guidance would be useful. Have checked out GVD's style document and it certainly captures the flavour of the setting but am still unsure about what is sought in new articles.

I have 20 years plus of Greyhawk notes / ideas taking up more space than my wife would like in our spare room and am happy to turn as much as possible into useful articles if others are interested. I tend to focus on setting info and location / NPC sketches but am currently developing a campaign outline to lever In Search of Adventure and Night's Dark Terror (both 80s Basic D&D) into Verbobonc with the demon lord Kostchtchie as major villain. Happy to share any of this with Canonfire users if there is interest in it.
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:30 pm  

Mr. DavidBedlam, Please Click Here.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:52 pm  

Quote:
    I have 20 years plus of Greyhawk notes / ideas taking up more space than my wife would like in our spare room and am happy to turn as much as possible into useful articles if others are interested. I tend to focus on setting info and location / NPC sketches but am currently developing a campaign outline to lever In Search of Adventure and Night's Dark Terror (both 80s Basic D&D) into Verbobonc with the demon lord Kostchtchie as major villain. Happy to share any of this with Canonfire users if there is interest in it.

I would be very interested in Flint's project. I have been playing/DMing GH since 86, and I am always interested in new twists on things and campaign ideas.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:45 pm  

Flint wrote:

Oooo! Night's Dark Terror is my favorite module ever so I would love to see how you shoe-horn it into GH. I set it near the Pomarj in Elredd territory (Pre-War of course). I'd also be interested in seeing any of those 20 plus years of notes that you feel like whipping up into an article.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:11 pm  

Hey as you can see i joined a while back when i had more free time on my hands. I submitted a few articles and have'nt really had much time since maybe my first two years to really submit anything since. I assure you that the staff seriously try to correct all gramatical errors. Heck I had made so many with one of my last submissions not only did Duicarthan take his time going over it I too sent him a revision because parts of the article where incoherent without the revisions. Nossin the Meek was that article and if you read it I'm sure you'll agree that it turned out all right.

Now let me bring to you another point addressed as far as criticism. I had submitted an article called the Elves of Oerth it is one of the most read articles to date . However I received some of the worst criticism there was for the article as well as some of the greatest praise for the same article. There were a few people that out right attempted to assault my writing and claimed it was unreadable. Yet there were those people who did not like my article but praise me for my version and the staff was quick to discouraged those whom posted derogatory remarks.

My favorite article as far as feedback is concerned and I don't even like elves. Ultimately write what you want too write about and don't let anyones opinion decide what you will and won't submit. The sites called cannonfire for a reason.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:09 am  

abysslin wrote:
    Mr. DavidBedlam, Please Click Here.

*Clicky clicky*

Yay!

I was kinda thinking that anything submitted would have to be dripping in GH lore, where as my knowledge of the setting would only get it rather damp.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:27 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Flint wrote:

Oooo! Night's Dark Terror is my favorite module ever so I would love to see how you shoe-horn it into GH. I set it near the Pomarj in Elredd territory (Pre-War of course). I'd also be interested in seeing any of those 20 plus years of notes that you feel like whipping up into an article.

Never read it, but Jim Bambra and Graeme Morries put together some great modules.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:55 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    smillan_31 wrote:
    Flint wrote:

Never read it, but Jim Bambra and Graeme Morries put together some great modules.

It's a mini-campaign set in Mystara, although I've only before set it in my own campaign worlds. Really well written and paced and the maps are the best I've seen IMO. The cartographer was Geoff Wingate who did alot of other work under the name of Paul Ruiz, mainly in the UK series. I've run it three times with different groups but never managed to get all the way through it. I rewrote it for my Wild Coast campaign, combining it with UK5 "Eye of the Serpent," but had barely got it started when the group broke up. Oh well. I should write a review since no one on CF has done that yet. Once I get through the double handful of articles I'm working on of course. Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 am  

Thanks Abysslin for the link posted above which offers some great advice. Am inspired now to submit the campaign outline and background as soon as I can. The other stuff will take some time as most is handwritten and the parts that are typed were produced on an Atari ST (showing the age!!) and cannot be imported into my PC. I have pages on my own interpretation of the Duchy of Urnst, some on the Wild Coast and some on the Fruzti. Will start typing this up, bring it up to date and submit here.

As to the original question. I love all that Canonfire does and has done. This is a site where you can find something about anything you'd care to look for about our favourite setting. Keep up the good work and hope I can add something to it.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:13 pm  

Three things need to happen to get me posting articles again:

1> CF must clearly and loudly remind people of the fact that it is limited and partial to no particular edition of D&D.

2> Article posting (after being submitted) needs to be handled in a more timely manner. Waiting months for an article to appear on the site just makes me want to post it on the forum or elsewhere where it can elicit conversation while still fresh in my mind.

3> Article comments need to be restored.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:46 pm  

I agree that comments should be restored. It gives the articles that blog feel so you don't have to toggle back and forth. How this site can't control the spam and 1000's of other content-comment sites can is a crying shame. Fortunately I think the powers that be are looking into it, but how soon?

Also the posting schedule seems to be picking up again which is a plus for all. And as for the editionless thing, its a format I myself favor when possible, but it's a personal author choice. The way I see it, the only way to cater your article to ALL readers is removing edition specifics, this is why fluff articles are the best way to go.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 pm  

Outstanding responses, comments and thoughts! Smile

Me personally, I'm interested in everyone's GH and enjoy reading articles that deal with individual variations. I think this is one of the great services of CF - it allows a sharing of ideas! So let's see some articles! Happy

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:05 am  

Just incase anyone wants to know, I'm finishing off my first ever article for the site and will submit it once I've proof read it.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:53 am  

Chat,

I appreciate your editionless desire, and I think that it makes sense that the text should not require use of one edition or the other. However, I do like it when someone includes a seperate stat block. Even if it is a older or new edition it helps in conversion. Your articles included.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:12 am  

chatdemon wrote:
    2> Article posting (after being submitted) needs to be handled in a more timely manner. Waiting months for an article to appear on the site just makes me want to post it on the forum or elsewhere where it can elicit conversation while still fresh in my mind.

This can not be emphasized enough.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:08 am  

MerricB wrote:
    chatdemon wrote:

This can not be emphasized enough.

I have an article that has been in line for four months now. But not knowing what goes into getting them up and not volunteering, I cannot gripe too much.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 pm  

As I have explained elsewhere. Canonfire lost its primary article publisher (Dongul) Greyson. This left pretty much nobody around to publish articles except Gary, when he had time.

Since I have returned, we have been publishing twice per week, which is catching the dates on backlogged submissions up.

Wolfsire, you are now at 3rd in the list, but will most likely be published second depending on me getting a response back with a problem I am having with Greyseer's article. Which is ahead of yours.

Chatdemon can't complain as he has a Canonfire admin account and may publish articles too, if he so wishes. Unless I missed something in my absence.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:37 pm  

I should also mention that I am slowing down on the publishing process since the last few articles are short on reads, which I believe is being affected by the latest OJ release. Wink

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:13 pm  

abysslin wrote:

Chatdemon can't complain as he has a Canonfire admin account and may publish articles too, if he so wishes. Unless I missed something in my absence.

chatdemon, despite having volunteered to help Gary out when need be, has no posting privileges.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:41 am  

abysslin wrote:
    Since I have returned, we have been publishing twice per week, which is catching the dates on backlogged submissions up.

Well, at least the pile is shrinking. When I saw the number of articles in the que after I hit the submit button, I was worried that it would take months for my article to see the light of day. Sad

But I'm sure I'll get done. Eventually.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:03 am  

DavidBedlam wrote:
    abysslin wrote:

Well, at least the pile is shrinking. When I saw the number of articles in the que after I hit the submit button, I was worried that it would take months for my article to see the light of day. Sad

But I'm sure I'll get done. Eventually.

Aside from catching up, I think posting one a week is a good pace.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: