Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - PDF Greyhawk maps?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    PDF Greyhawk maps?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:10 pm  
    PDF Greyhawk maps?

Is there a place to get decent maps of Oerth in PDF format? I bought the official GH folio from RPGNow but the quality of WotC's scans are horrible in general and, in this product, pages are missing and/or duplicated while the map itself has been cut up into 8.5" x 11" sections. So. . . where do I go for good Greyhawk maps in PDF format?
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:34 pm  

Some time ago Dungeon magazine published a map of the Flanaess in four parts, each part accompanying an issue of the magazine. I'm not sure, but I believe those maps are still available at paizo.com. You may have to buy the whole magazine to get it, but it's the most detailed map of the World of Greyhawk to date, and well worth the money.

Also, various issues of Dungeon have "Map and Handout Supplements" that can be downloaded for free at paizo.com. They, too, are well worth the effort to download.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:04 pm  

The maps published in Dungeon are the way to go, here's the issue #118-121. Once you put it together, the map is a whopping 3.25 x 4.5 feet
    (within a few inches thereof). If you get it and put all four poster maps together be very careful in lining up the hexes. I posted my on the wall next to my desk. Measuring hexes is difficult because it is so large so I use a long piece of string to go straight down and across when figuring out which hex is which. Works great. Of coarse I made the mistake of attaching to the wall so well I can't get the bugger down now.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:33 am  

I want to add some more of the LG locations using clear sticky plastic printer sheets before I immortalise my copy on the wall - it's an ongoing process...
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:16 am  

Paul:
    Please explain how you are adding to the map prior to posting it. When the Dungeon issues came out I actually bought a few copies knowing full well I would not see this again in my lifetime (most likely anyway).

So how are you adding locations and how does it turn out?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:22 pm  

Thanks for the heads-up. The good news is, all of these Dungeon issues are availble as high-quality PDFs :) I was severely disappointed in the quality of the official AD&D 1e PDFs distributed by WotC (as well as all of the older edition PDFs, save for the OD&D offerings). Seems almost as though they were deliberately poor, so as to encourage consumers to check out the newer (3x) offerings.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:54 pm  

Just to confirm...

With the PDF versions of issues 118-121 the maps are included?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 pm  

You also might want to try here:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=52
    CF Admin

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:06 pm  
    Yes, It Is True

xammer99 wrote:
    With the PDF versions of issues 118-121 the maps are included?

Yes, and here is a link going right to the page that offers the issues that have the Greyhawk map:

http://paizo.com/dungeon/products/issues/greyhawkmap

Sadly, Paizo sold out of hard copies of issues 119. It has the concluding adventure to Vaughn's awesome City of Shadows story arc.

Anyway, all four of them are available in PDF.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:23 am  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    Paul:
    Please explain how you are adding to the map prior to posting it. When the Dungeon issues came out I actually bought a few copies knowing full well I would not see this again in my lifetime (most likely anyway).

So how are you adding locations and how does it turn out?

To be honest I think the best way of doing it is to scan sections of the maps and then add locations using photoshop. It might be tricky to get a compatible typeface though and it will involve some duplication since you need the maps to overlap to fit together properly. I think the Living Geoff site has done this. It would be really cool if every triad did this once LG goes into hibernation but don't hold your breath!

Finding details on town locations is reasonably easy but none of them have official map locations so placing them is guesswork. Different maps show wildly different road networks, so this is next to an impossibility.

There are some locations mentioned (like villages that form the setting for modules) about which there is no available information. The biggest problem seems to be dungeon settings. Lots of ruined castles and ancient lairs can't be placed for similar reasons.

I'm still collating details on the locations at the moment. I don't want to leave anything out if I can avoid it.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:27 am  

Let me know how your project turns out. I may want to try something similar. Sounds like your computer skills are better than mine.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:39 am  

There's a lot of maps available online. On Canonfire alone for example:

Abysslin's 589 CY Darlene Compatible Map
    or
    Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess project (Not sure how the plan to incorporate those into Google Oerth turned out though...)

There are probably quite bit more threads with maps on the forums..

Also a search for map in the Geography & Cartography section of canonfire yields lots of articles.

A google image search for large images and "Greyhawk map" yields a lot of interesting results.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:02 am  

And, of course, the issues of Dungeon containing those maps are usually available through ebay or amazon.com.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:02 am  

Thanael wrote:
    There's a lot of maps available online. On Canonfire alone for example:

Abysslin's 589 CY Darlene Compatible Map

Beautiful! Thanks for pointing that out!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 am  

Actually, Anna's maps look incredible and she has liaised quite hard to include LG locations plus a few from her home campaign. If you are lucky enough that she has finished the area in which your campaign is placed then go with her maps. Some of the text is a bit small but if you want to go with a Points of Light perspective, many of the settlements really look a lot more isolated at the smaller scale.

Braggi's maps cover all of Eastern Oerik and probably have up to a third more locations on than the Dungeon maps. Some of the smaller villages are missing and he had a bit of difficulty fitting all the locations into densly populated areas like the Domain of Greyhawk but it's a pretty impressive effort.

Try www.harvestersheroes.com/CMS2/index.php for his maps.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: