ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dungeon 151 Lost Caverns Ch. 2 Released
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dungeon 151 Lost Caverns Ch. 2 Released
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:58 pm  
    Dungeon 151 Lost Caverns Ch. 2 Released

Hello All,

Chapter 2 of Iggwilv's Legacy: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth can be found here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duad/20071012

NOTE: WotC did not publish Ch. 2 separately, instead they combined it with Ch. 1 (now 42 pages) at the same link I posted before. I wish they has it as a seperate download and combined...

shrug.

Iggwilv's Legacy: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
    by Ari Marmell and Edward Albert
    art by Howard Lyon and Francis Tsai
    cartography by Rob Lazzaretti
    Chapter 2 adds
    * A map of the Lost Caverns
    * 22 encounter areas done in Tactical Map style.

Enjoy,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 pm  

Yup...same style as the Expedition mods.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:24 pm  
    Re: Dungeon 151 Lost Caverns Ch. 2 Released

Saracenus wrote:
    NOTE: WotC did not publish Ch. 2 separately, instead they combined it with Ch. 1 (now 42 pages) at the same link I posted before. I wish they has it as a seperate download and combined...

Yeah, I really wish they hadn't done that. Confused I know a lot of people have missed it so far for that very reason.
    --Rodent of the Dark</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:43 am  

Thanks for the update-I would still be waiting for it if it wasn't for this post :-(
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:05 am  

Wow. So, this is the first time I've had a chance to see the Lost Caverns, as I do not own the original. Love the map, love the premise. My only problem with the update, so far, is this. . . It seems far too easy! This is for 11th level characters? In 1st edition, you at least got a set ammount of xp for each encounter / monster that wasn't level dependant. But at eleventh level, in 3rd edition, you might have monsters that are an EL of 10, but are made of several CR 4 creatures. The pcs will not get much (if any) xp from these guys. Ari, did I miss something? I think 11 was the hightest EL in the whole section. I guess I'm just a little confused at this translation. I can understand wanting to be faithful to the original, but the encounters don't seem to pose even a moderate challenge to the pcs. Confused Question

Embarassed Don't hate me for being curious

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:04 am  

Maybe they're just saving the real nasty stuff for the lower levels?

Anyway, I didn't like this section as much as the first. Not enough horror, but I could always improvise something. The parts with the Sea Ghasts and the Dao could be turned horrific, and I could always have the Fay be corrupted by the taint of the place.

And yeah, it could have been advertised better.
    CF Admin

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:13 am  
    Slowly Challenging

MichaelSandar wrote:
    ... It seems far too easy!

It looks like Ed was consulting the Encounter Difficulty table in DMG 3.5 in an effort to whittle down party resources. The encounters in Chapter 2 do look easy, but should still consume magic and items. I think DavidBedlam is right - the last third of the adventure shall probably have fifty percent of the challenge. Of course, this adventure enters the range of 3.5 EL mathematics that can be troublesome to fine tune.

This part of the adventure does seem to miss the mood set by the first. Just remember that every twenty-four hours spent in the caverns requires a cumulative taint check. A couple of those monsters could have the Touch of Taint feat to keep that sense of dread alive.

Don (Greyson)
    Nyrond Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:08 pm  

Thanks for the update regarding the second chapter. Hard to beat the price right now.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:07 am  

I don't know about missing the horror of the first chapter. I concede they didn't play it up as much, but as someone who ran the first adventure, getting past the bats had my players on edge. Now I grant there are no sources of true evil that acquire you taint, but this is only the precursor to the lower levels, where you will find the true evil. My players never even saw half of this level, as they had a goal and were wanting to achieve it.

As for the adventure, in first ed it was an 11th level game. And based on the encounters, I think a set of strong 9s or weak 11s could take on this dungeon and have a chance of survival and success. My use of strong and weak has little to do with actual character builds, and more to do with the player's ability to work together, be stealthy when they need to, and to get as much done as possible, as quickly as possible. I'm going to be running a solo player (she'll be leading a group of adventurers, but only one player) through this version, so I'll be seeing soon how the taint rules affect play.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: