Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - What from "Monsters of Faerun" exists on Oerth?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    What from "Monsters of Faerun" exists on Oerth?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:52 pm  
    What from "Monsters of Faerun" exists on Oerth?

I know the Bullywugs do, but what others (some, such as the Sharn, are clearly Faerun-exclusive, but others are not...)?
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:06 pm  

There's no real "official" answer to this. Basically, whatever the DM allows is it. You can pick and choose as you like.

Of course, if you include something that most of us don't think should be there you're liable to be made fun of without mercy...

Just kidding. Wink
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:54 pm  

Your correct about the bullywugs (located in the Vast Swamp, but you already knew that). From the Ashes boxed set, reference card #12, Corusks, Griffs, Rakers mountain random encounter table and the one for the Lortmil Mountains indicate that Aarakocra are found in these ranges. The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer indicates that "winged folk" live in the Lortmil, though it doesn't make any such mention of similiar creatures within the other mountain ranges. At the beginning of 3rd edition, WOTC published a Monster Compedium: Monsters of Faerun which had stats for Aarakocra (page 11). The art has changed a lot since 1st edition however. I have always "assumed" that the Aarakocra and winged folk were one and the same.

I replaced aarakocra with the raptor race since the Aarakocra got shoved into Forgotten Realms. Not because I was unwilling to use the entry but because I was looking for a good way to add the raptor race as a monster.

This is the only "official" thing I can come up with.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:52 pm  

Some of them have been specifically mentioned in Greyhawk products, however, like the aarakocra (1983 boxed set), cloaker lord ("Kingdom of the Ghouls"), diamond golem (Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk), shadow dragon (MC5 Greyhawk Monstrous Compendium), firenewt (1983 boxed set), gibberling (boxed set), peryton (The Scarlet Brotherhood), hairy spider (The Scarlet Brotherhood), stinger (as manscorpions in Rary the Traitor), quaggoth (boxed set), wemic (The Scarlet Brotherhood), werebat (The Scarlet Brotherhood), and yochlol (Q1).

Then there are creatures like abishai, giant striders, meazels, and leucrotta who were classic 1st edition monsters mentioned in the heavily Greyhawky Monster Manuals and Fiend Folio.

The siv would work incredibly well as followers of Wastri, I think.

The monsters that are specifically connected to Faerunian deities or nations might require some name changes, and jungle dwarves seem unlikely at least in the known lands of Oerth, and the phaerimm and sharn are tied closely to Faerun's history, but most of the monsters would work. Song dragons would be replaced by the (very similar) Greyhawk dragons.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 am  

EileenProphetofIstus wrote:
    The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer indicates that "winged folk" live in the Lortmil, though it doesn't make any such mention of similiar creatures within the other mountain ranges. I have always "assumed" that the Aarakocra and winged folk were one and the same.

The 'Winged Folk' were actually a winged humanoid race first published in Dragon Magazine #51 (July, 1981). They have been variously referred to in publication as 'winged elves' and the 'avariel'. In the original article they were called 'Al Karak Elam' and, though they resemble half-elves, were not considered to be an elvish race.

Based on correspondence I had with TSR back in those old days, I suspect that at one time the Winged Folk were intended to eventually become a mainstream character race. I also suspect that TSR's troubles at the time can be blamed for the fact that so few have ever heard of them.

IMC, I've made extensive use of this race both as a 'monster' and as a PC race. They've proven quite popular among my players.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:56 am  

Bubba said:
    The 'Winged Folk' were actually a winged humanoid race first published in Dragon Magazine #51 (July, 1981). They have been variously referred to in publication as 'winged elves' and the 'avariel'. In the original article they were called 'Al Karak Elam' and, though they resemble half-elves, were not considered to be an elvish race.

I did not know this Bubba....and to think I lay away at nights trying to figure out that one cryptic reference for years....I think I wasted my time.

P.S.
    Hope you realize I was messing with you earlier this week. If I was ever mad/upset/etc. about something (other than 4th edition), nobody around here would be able to tell anyway. Happy

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Then there are creatures like abishai, giant striders, meazels, and leucrotta who were classic 1st edition monsters mentioned in the heavily Greyhawky Monster Manuals and Fiend Folio.

Leucrotta were in the original Temple of Elemental Evil on the 2nd dungeon level, IIRC. In fact, they were the reason I bought Monsters of Faerun. I was running a ToEE 3e conversion at the time and wanted to save myself the effort of trying to convert them myself.

Greg
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:39 pm  

This has been stated/implied and I concur. Monsters of Faerun is FR specific in name only. It is really just another monster book to which "Faerun" was attached to try to spur sales early on in 3.0's life. I use them all, particularly the Abishi devils.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: