JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Updating GH for 4e - The FR Template
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition
    Updating GH for 4e - The FR Template
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:13 pm  

Galencudin wrote:
    That said, will WotC give up the GreyHawk license or not ? If not, they surely will let die GreyHawk wihtout any other though. And nobody will be able to take it back and make an upgrade of the setting ; with all the corrections and changes required for the 4th.

If, hopefully, they will do this, who can take up the task without ruining the GreyHawk flavor ?

Um, don't hold your breath for someone to do it for you. No, WotC will not give up Greyhawk. As a business they would be idiots to let the Greyhawk loose in the wild or sell it off to someone else, that just gives someone else a brand (a deep brand) to compete against them. I know that Paizo asked to license it and they were rebuffed.

Actually, under the terms of Gleemax you could publish 4e updates for Greyhawk there, you would just give them the rights to use your stuff however they wanted. But you could present GH IP there will little fear of getting smacked. How that will affect use here remains to be seen.

My Two Other Coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:20 pm  

So regarding this new set of rules, a reboot is definitely needed. Just to keep it fresh, let's say that a post-wars is more in order. Mikel proposed a good stuff about Iuz, tieflings and dragonborns. Ans that's a good start.

This will stay in the historic view of GH. But a cataclysmic event like what is described for FR ( Mystra died [again] and the spellplague struck ), IMO should not happened. It's like "we want scrap all the ancient setting but we keep the same world" kind of crap.

Main question is : will there be anyone willing to do this ?

Future seems grim...

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:41 pm  

Galencudin wrote:
    To answer OleOneEye,

If you already lost AD&D players when you changed the rules to the 3rd ed, why will they come back for a newer ed that will be even more alien ?
    And it seems the forthcoming 4th ed rules had less maths than the 3rd eds. This is the mean to catch new players as WotC declared it ( I read this one on ENworld ).

Less maths, less historical background, more munchkin. No GreyHawk. More fun ? I am not that sure... Confused

Oh, I misunderstood. You are concerned with Greyhawk as a commercial enterprise. I am only concerned with playing a campaign with my buddies.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 am  

Oh my ! But you're satirical...

I do not care about business. WotC do. Go to their website and search for the reason to bring forth another set of rules and you'll see. Or on Enworld where there is a non-official but nonetheless a good review of what the 4th will bring.

No, I'm just concerned about GreyHawk's future. Read the posts above and you'll see why...
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: