Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - what about verbobonc? dnt wanna spend rest of my life there!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    what about verbobonc? dnt wanna spend rest of my life there!
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 pm  
    what about verbobonc? dnt wanna spend rest of my life there!

so the players abandonned the idea of getting to greyhawk city, as in the middle of kron hills, they heard about the Temple and hommlet.

the thing is that they whant to go to verbobonc first, to get better gear and stuff.
    the problem is that verbobonc is such a huge city (well, i thing so) and knowing my players, they will spent a couple of sessions there.

no big deal, but i dont know how to play verbobonc. sure, is a city with race diversity, a "university" and some cultural thing.

but what else? what lurks verbobonc, that i can make a adventure of it?
    also, is there some "hot places", so i dont have to know about aaaaaall the places in there?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:26 pm  

I use the Fate of Istus material as my base for Verbobonc. And wing the rest. Haven't done any serious campaigning there though; just a diversion while running the ToEE.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:15 pm  

There is a 3.0 adventure titled The Speaker in Dreams. It is set in a moderately large city and has multiple quests which eventually run together as part of a whole. It has some unique critters in it (which I replaced with Large Chaos Beasts due to their higher CR) but all in all it was a fun romp.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:30 pm  

The time I DM'ed the return to the temple of elemental evil my players visited a high level Cleric of St. Cuthbert in Verbobonc. This document helped me alot:

http://www.zansforcans.net/archive/Miscellaneous/Verbobonc%20City.pdf

A solid piece of info on Verbobonc! This map: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/canonfire/abysslin/Verbobonc_City.jpeg correspond partly with the city description.

Good luck!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 pm  

I have made a huge guide to Verbobonc on my own. With laws, guilds, npcs, stores, maps, noble houses you name it. The only problem is that is it written in danish, so if you don't speak danish i'm afraid that you can't use it for anything at all. I'm willing to send you the few things i have in English, if you are interested. Just send me a PM.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:42 am  

Sander_Kaa wrote:
    The time I DM'ed the return to the temple of elemental evil my players visited a high level Cleric of St. Cuthbert in Verbobonc. This document helped me alot:

http://www.zansforcans.net/archive/Miscellaneous/Verbobonc%20City.pdf

A solid piece of info on Verbobonc! This map: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/canonfire/abysslin/Verbobonc_City.jpeg correspond partly with the city description.

wow, thanks!
    very helpfull material indeed!
    maybe i have to adjust a little, as my game is set in 575

ScottG wrote:
    I use the Fate of Istus material as my base for Verbobonc. And wing the rest. Haven't done any serious campaigning there though; just a diversion while running the ToEE.

i see...can you tell me when did Fate of Istus adventure happens?

Krimeah wrote:
    I have made a huge guide to Verbobonc on my own. With laws, guilds, npcs, stores, maps, noble houses you name it. The only problem is that is it written in danish, so if you don't speak danish i'm afraid that you can't use it for anything at all. I'm willing to send you the few things i have in English, if you are interested. Just send me a PM.

oh, thanks!
    for now, i just know english, portuguese and spanish (a little), but i have PMed you ;)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:46 am  

Fate of Istus is set shortly after the ToEE adventure, so 580, or thereabouts.

Scott
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:05 am  

If you don't want to spend a lot of time in Verbobonc, just make it a "yeah, its there" kind of place. When I ran ToEE back in '86, any large or exotic purchases had to be made through Verbobonc. Rather than spend a lot of time there, however, I simply had NPCs do the legwork; travelling merchants or the various shopkeeps would have business in Verbobonc, and agree to do the work for the PCs for a small fee.
    Of course, the opposite could be true, too; a local merchant, craftperson or farmer in Hommlet needs something in Verbobonc or protection getting there and back, and hires the PCs.
    The point is, you can use Verbobonc as much or as little as you want.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 am  

ScottG wrote:
    Fate of Istus is set shortly after the ToEE adventure, so 580, or thereabouts.

Scott

(silly me...edited because i just found my answer):

http://www.afn.org/~afn09454/greyhawk/timeline/indirect_dating.html#t1-4_579

great site, btw
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:09 pm  

ok, new question: i dont understand where the gnomes live in verbobonc.
    i tried to search at google about wha is a "warren". it looked like a "rabbit's house".

but then, it read like this:

"Most of the gnomes live in Gnomeburg, a small section of the city built in the fashion of the gnome warrens found in the Kron Hills. These are called ‘Rents’, small but comfortable dwellings excavated from the dozens of small hills in this section of the city. Since the gnomes have declared
    themselves free of the writ of the Viscount, many of the Gnome artisans have left the city to relocate in the Kron Hills (about 30% of the warrens are empty). The gnomes left most of the original trees, building their warrens under the shelter of their canopies. The entire district looks like a large park. "

so, are they constructed inside a hill, or a tree?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm  

Definitely a hill Smile
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:16 pm  

Based on what you explained, this is how I picture things: The warrens are dwellings which are holes entered into the side of the hill. They are fully excavated inside to make them large and comfortable for the occupants. The door are built into the side of the hill and stand upright as you stand next to them (though I suppose they could be built downward but that doesn't sound very attractive to me). Growing on top of the hills are the many trees which the gnomes left alone. Thus, they provide shade to the doors and the surrounding ground immediently outside the burrows. I expect that the gnomes either built around the tree roots or more than likely, used the roots to build into, creating things like shelves, bookcases, or furniture out of them. Regardless of whether or not the gnomes utilized the roots of the trees, they did not harm them.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:32 am  

rossik wrote:
    i tried to search at google about wha is a "warren". it looked like a "rabbit's house".

"Most of the gnomes live in Gnomeburg, a small section of the city built in the fashion of the gnome warrens found in the Kron Hills. These are called ‘Rents’, small but comfortable dwellings excavated from the dozens of small hills in this section of the city. Since the gnomes have declared
    themselves free of the writ of the Viscount, many of the Gnome artisans have left the city to relocate in the Kron Hills (about 30% of the warrens are empty). The gnomes left most of the original trees, building their warrens under the shelter of their canopies. The entire district looks like a large park. "

Er, um, well, are you familiar with Winnie the Pooh?

Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:17 am  

"Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat ...."

Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    rossik wrote:

Er, um, well, are you familiar with Winnie the Pooh?

lol

yeah here hes called "ursinho puff"

thanks guys
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:00 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    "Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat ...."

Bingo (IMO at least). Picture a neighborhood of Bag Ends.

Scott
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 am  

Winnie the Pooh (Gnome Sage) Laughing

I somewhat disagree with the hobbit reference; hobniz are more obsessed with comfort. Gnomes would create deeper warrens with several winding passages to provide storage and workshop space. Although not as deep or function as Dwarf halls.

Think of the increased amount of labour and effort that is required the deeper a race goes to create their homes. Of course the halflings are cheerful and the dwarves surly.

Think of the races on a sliding depth and comfort scale:
    Halfling (Hobniz) - Closest to surface - most comfortable design
    Gnome (Nouz) - Near to surface - Comfortable but functional design
    Dwarf (Dwur) - Deep below surface - Function before comfort; comfort increased over time.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:24 pm  

Back in the day, I actually used Tashal from Columbia Games' "Cities of Harn" supplement to fill in for Verbobonc.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: