#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Grumbler #3
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Grumbler #3
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:25 am  

Samwise; I don't want to get into a flame war but I thought I was very respectful rather than rude within my post. I am somewhat confused that you feel any criticism of the developments within the plot consitutes a total lack of respect.

I was hoping to stimulate a discussion on the role of motives and plausibility within GH as it relates to the IMO excessive homocide of the rulers within the game world. I am disappointed you feel any discussion on this aspect is being rude and shows a total lack of respect towards you.

These forums are intended to promote discussion; aren't they?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Samwise; I don't want to get into a flame war but I thought I was very respectful rather than rude within my post. I am somewhat confused that you feel any criticism of the developments within the plot consitutes a total lack of respect.

I was hoping to stimulate a discussion on the role of motives and plausibility within GH as it relates to the IMO excessive homocide of the rulers within the game world. I am disappointed you feel any discussion on this aspect is being rude and shows a total lack of respect towards you.

These forums are intended to promote discussion; aren't they?

I am not going to flame you Crag. I am simply explaining that I will not participate in a discussion where people prefer to be rude rather than to discuss.
    That you consider statements like:
    Quote:
    does show a lack of imagination

and
    Quote:
    it takes more imagination

not to be rude is unfortunate. There is a very distinct line between criticism and personal insults, and those, and some others by other people, cross it.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 pm  

Samwise wrote:
    If we wanted to do some serious development we had to get rid of those NPCs and bring new ones into leadership positions. That is why most everyone went around slaughtering the rulers of their countries.

And as it happens, this plays into the same reasons why the Circle of Eight got trashed in FtA. Nothing drives a plot forward better than a nice housecleaning of NPCs. It was time for a change, and the Oligarchy had to pay the price in blood.

I was responding to this statement; their has been a noticeable slaying of NPCs. I disagree that slaughtering the rulers is necessary for serious development. If you want change to drive the plot forward and can't think of a means other then bloodshed yet again - doesn't that by definition show a lack of imagination?

The method of change since the beginning has been the slaying of NPCs for development - doesn't it take more imagination to try something new and different?

I am not attacking you as a person or your efforts but your contention
    Samwise wrote:
    Nothing drives a plot forward better than a nice housecleaning of NPCs.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm  

All I know is that the same criticism being leveled at the writers of this current material being discussed was the very same criticism that many of them have leveled at the various Triads who were on leader killing sprees themselves. So, more of the same ol' same ol' isn't really rating all that well at its face value on the creativity meter. Simply put, development doesn't require the killing off of the current rulers. Now, development of already existing material does require some change, but then that is just for the benefit of, yet again, rehashing what has already been done in the past. City Of Greyhawk Mk IV anybody? How about acutally developing something *new* for the World of Greyhawk? I know the world has been prolifically detailed down to the last square mile on the maps, but I'm sure that somebody could find something to elaborate on other than the City of Greyhawk. It is worthy of discussion at the very least, but perhaps it's all a bit premature at this point. So, don't anybody take anything too personally. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

We don't have the whole picture just yet, and there is no reason to post any spoilers which could ruin somebody's gaming experience(so nobody should), so we'll just have to wait and see if there will be some more interesting surprises in store at the end of it all that explains the method behind the madness so to speak.

For now I'll just have to blame Talasek the quintessential valiant and selfless paladin. Even in my campagin everybody loves him; even the characters of "questionable conscience". Smile Still, it makes me wonder what could have possibly have caused Turin to want to kill Talasek.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: