JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Paladin of Ehlonna
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Paladin of Ehlonna
    Novice

Thu May 13, 2004 5:00 am  
    Paladin of Ehlonna

Here's the scoop ... while travelling through Castle Greyhawks Power tower the party eventually came to a maze with clown faces that seemed to adversely effect our characters. After a little more adventuring we discovered a room that contained the counter-magic to the faces and cured those that were negatively effected, apparently to a better result.

Some members of the group have proposed travelling through all the evil faces and returning to the counter-room to give everybody a stat boost.

As a paladin of Ehlonna, I am very twisted about my possible actions. There's nothing in my alignment that says I cannot do the same to boost my stats and being stronger would certainly help battle the forces of evil.

However, my goddess is the goddess of nature and I'm not so certain that she'd look favorably on my actions. Raising stats in this manner is a perversion of the natural world, but then most magic is.

I need some advice from the sages of the realm ... should I try to boost my stats or should I stay "natural"?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 13, 2004 6:33 am  

This is not really something anyone can answer for you. Just think about it from the viewpoint of the character, and if the character is unable to decide on his own if it is right or wrong, then perhaps he should pray for guidance. Although if he is this torn about it, perhaps he should be wondering if he already knows the answer and is just hoping that someone will tell him differently.
    Novice

Thu May 13, 2004 7:12 am  

Thank you Adhevan ... I knew I would get that reply.

As I cannot come to terms with it, as my character, I cannot see myself proceeding down this path.

I guess I was checking to see if anyone has read a publication that states "Ehlonna's followers must remain "steriod" free" or some other such nonsense.

Anyone have anything to add?
    Master Greytalker

Thu May 13, 2004 8:42 am  

I do not think a paladin of Ehlonna would worry about using
    magic to enhance her abilities. Anyone who is allowed to use
    magic items probably has no problem with using magic to
    get a stat boost.

What is more pertenant is the *source* of the magic.
    That is, what did Zagig have to do to create the effect?
    IMC, most of Castle Greyhawk runs off of power that
    Zagig siphoned off the gods that he imprisoned. If
    this is true in your world (and your character knows
    or suspects it) then definately the paladin would not
    opt for the stat boost, and would try to convince
    associates not to use it either. Imprisoning other
    sentient beings, even evil ones, in order to derrive
    personal benefit is not acceptable to Ehlonna, IMO.

Kirt
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 13, 2004 2:19 pm  

I think Kirt makes an interesting point. Along a similar line, one might argue that all magic is natural in a sense - Greyhawk is a highly magical world. I think your question in part reflects our perpsective rather than the perspective of our characters, who are quite accustomed to spells, magic items, etc. I don't think a paladin would see magic as inherently unnatural - the real consideration is whether the magic you wish to benefit from is evil or not.

And I might even suggest that a paladin might use evil magic to pursue a just cause. An atonement might come later, but someone so devoutly wedded to a cause could easily believe that the ends justify the means.

Interesting philosophical question, by thye way. Thanks for posing it.
    CF Admin

Thu May 13, 2004 2:45 pm  

Quote:
    the ends justify the means.

I've always thought of that philosphy belonging to the Chaotic Good school of though, myself, rather than a Lawful Good tendency.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: