Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pathfinder Forum?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Pathfinder Forum?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 am  
    Pathfinder Forum?

Canonfire gurus -- any plans to add a Pathfinder RPG forum to the "Special Proejcts and hosted forums" area of the site?

Seems to me that if you are going to have forums for 3.5E and 4E (supporting Wizards?) then you ought to have a Pathfinder RPG forum too.

I for one will be using Pathfinder RPG rules to keep my long running World of Greyhawk campaign running and would like to hear a lot more from other fans about how they intend to use THOSE rules for their Greyhawk games.

And yeah, I know there is an area for "other" game systems -- but seems to me that as the unofficial "real 4E" system, that Pathfinder RPG deserves its own forum right up there next to Wizards 3.5E and 4E.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:19 am  

Let me first say that my group are also converting to Pathfinder just as soon as everyone has had a good look at all the rules.

Do we need a dedicated Pathfinder section?

Essentially, Pathfinder is 3.5 cleaned up and made better so the existing Greyhawk 3.5 forums could host Pathfinder discussion; possibly renaming that section 3.5/Pathfinder would be easier.

There would be no point having Pathfinder rules discussions here because of the ongoing feedback about the game hosted over at Paizo. Once the final version of the game arrives rules developments of the game relating specifically to Greyhawk could, I guess, be hosted here.

The recent threads relating to other game systems do not seem to have generated much interest judging by the number of posts and I wouldn't want to push for something that ends up lurking in the shadows. For me, I'd like to see Pathfinder included in the 3.5 section, unless those that are staying with 3.5 object to its presence.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:54 pm  

I agree that renaming the 3.5 forums 3.5E/PathfinderRPG would be easier and probably do the job. I would recommend that option too.

But let me also say -- by your same logic -- that Paizo is hosting Pathfinder RPG rules discussions therefore not needed here -- you could also argue that Wizards is hosting 4E discussions so they are not needed here either -- but they have their own dedicated forums here -- and have even when that rule system was in "discussion". So what is the difference?

And maybe one of the reasons that there is so little chatter about Pathfinder RPG (and how it applies to Greyhawk game play) here at CanonFire is that its actually not given any real space or mentioned in any of the forum titles -- while 4E is not only mentioned but given its own forums.

I am not advocating a Pathfinder RPG debate -- just equal space for Pathfinder RPG here at CanonFire so that others moving to that system have a dedicated space to post their Greyhawk ideas, suggestions and get support.

Pathfinder RPG is not like "other game systems" -- it represents a real option for many 3.5E gamers left in the lurch after finding out that 4E is a totally new kinda game system that they might not enjoy as much as 3.5E when playing in the World of Greyhawk.

I think it is important to ensure that Greyhawk fans know that they have options -- real options - beyond 4E -- to continue great RPG game play in Greyhawk. What better place than CanonFire!?

Ragr wrote:
    Let me first say that my group are also converting to Pathfinder just as soon as everyone has had a good look at all the rules.

Do we need a dedicated Pathfinder section?

Essentially, Pathfinder is 3.5 cleaned up and made better so the existing Greyhawk 3.5 forums could host Pathfinder discussion; possibly renaming that section 3.5/Pathfinder would be easier.

There would be no point having Pathfinder rules discussions here because of the ongoing feedback about the game hosted over at Paizo. Once the final version of the game arrives rules developments of the game relating specifically to Greyhawk could, I guess, be hosted here.

The recent threads relating to other game systems do not seem to have generated much interest judging by the number of posts and I wouldn't want to push for something that ends up lurking in the shadows. For me, I'd like to see Pathfinder included in the 3.5 section, unless those that are staying with 3.5 object to its presence.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:10 am  

Don't get me wrong, I would totally support anything Pathfinder here; I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in 4e, either rules or sourcebooks.

My point about rules discussions was that because of the situation regarding the open playtest of Pathfinder, any in depth analysis of game play or suggestions about how to improve things would be best posted over at Paizo, where Erik and company can see them for possible incorporation into the finished product; I would hate to see someone post a great idea here and it's missed by those who have control over Pathfinder's future direction. Naturally, any posts regarding rules and options could be double posted here as well for feedback.

I agree that Pathfinder is the natural successor to 3.5 and is D&D in spirit, if not in name, whereas 4e is a completely new game. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many regular CF'rs are going to use Pathfinder, to determine whether there will be enough regular posts to support a dedicated thread.

Let me restate then, I am not being negative about a Pathfinder section, just cautious. Check out the C&C thread for an example of how these things seem like a good idea but don't get off the ground.

Enjoy your game,

Ragr
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 am  

As a follow up to the above, I'll start a thread in the "other game sytems" section to find out how many are going to use Pathfinder.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:32 pm  

It has not been decided if there will be a Pathfinder forum or not, as it is practically the same as 3.0/3.5. Different discussion forums that revolve around rule sytsems are usually set for drastically different rule sytsems. Pathfinder is not drastically different from 3.0e/3.5e, but it still may get its own forum(or not). The jury is still out on this one, so for now you can put discussion of Pathfinder rules-based Greyhawk things in either the 3.0e/3.5e forum or the Other Games Systems forum. Once a decision is made, we'll move any pertinent threads to where they belong.

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:43 am  

Thanks for the update, Cebrion.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:48 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    It has not been decided if there will be a Pathfinder forum or not, as it is practically the same as 3.0/3.5. Different discussion forums that revolve around rule sytsems are usually set for drastically different rule sytsems. Pathfinder is not drastically different from 3.0e/3.5e, but it still may get its own forum(or not). The jury is still out on this one, so for now you can put discussion of Pathfinder rules-based Greyhawk things in either the 3.0e/3.5e forum or the Other Games Systems forum. Once a decision is made, we'll move any pertinent threads to where they belong.

Good to know! Thanks. I think that is all very reasonable. I think Pathfinder RPG is a very viable game system for Greyhawk and would like to see a lot of support for it from fans -- including here at CanonFire!

Thanks again for the update!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.88 Seconds