JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Population of Ekbir
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Population of Ekbir
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:10 pm  
    Population of Ekbir

From reading the description of Ekbir in the LGG, it says that there are 1,960,000 people living in Ekbir. If you add up the populations of the 3 major towns, it adds up to 103, 100. That leaves about 1,800,000 people in no major towns. Where are they all at? Is this an error? Any info would be of help.

Smile
    Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:02 pm  

Some great minds in the GH community deemed that the population numbers in Gygax's 83 set were too low on a people per hex basis so that is why you now see higher figures for places like Ekbir, Keoland, Furyondy, etc. I wish I had some hard numbers to throw at you but Ekbir off the top of my head does seem on the smallish size for even 1.8 million unlike Zeif which is broader.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:54 am  

by the 1st ed box, Ekbir

capital: ekbir (pop. 29.400)
    population: 250.000
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 am  

For my own personal gazeteer I'm going back closer to the 1e population levels with several things in mind:

1. Gygax only took account of humans in his main population figures. Prior to 3e LG, demi-humans were extremely rare in Greyhawk (I rather liked this) and largely lived in regions outside the borders of the 'human' lands. You have to add demi-humans on to the listed figures (typically not much more than a few thousand in total) listed in 1e.

2. Comparing population figures to medieval Earth may be tempting but need not be necessary. On our world, humans are the only intelligent race. If you add up all the 'uncivilised' non-humans and take into account deaths from conflicts, magical plagues, rampaging adventurers etc the human population levels could indeed be much lower.

3. The 4e points of light theme fits in much better with the notion of smaller populations located in clusters of civilisation for safety and this works very well in Greyhawk. The populations are so low they would have to be gathered in clusters around food supplies and water sources to survive.

The Baklunish are a semi-nomadic people not given to much large scale farming so Ekbir would probably have a few large settlements located on trade routes and surrounded by farmland, a number of smaller settlements located close to rivers, streams, and forests, a number of permanent encampments throughout the land with a transitory population, and then the tribesmen who migrate between all these settlements across the steppeland.

I think that Ekbir is a bit more settled than Tusmit or Zeif, and far more settled than the Wolf & Tiger Nomads and you might find some insipiration about additional settlements in the Living Greyhawk stuff.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:34 am  
    Re: Population of Ekbir

JohnSmith wrote:
    From reading the description of Ekbir in the LGG, it says that there are 1,960,000 people living in Ekbir. If you add up the populations of the 3 major towns, it adds up to 103, 100. That leaves about 1,800,000 people in no major towns. Where are they all at? Is this an error? Any info would be of help.

Smile

Surely you don't think that there are only 3 major towns(actually "cities") in Ekbir. Wink

There are many other towns and villages in Ekbir, but the area could certainly do with some more fleshing out. Some of the Baklunish probably wander as nomads too. Those who ran the Ekbir portion of Living Greyhawk created the map in the following link which may be of some use to you.

http://www.ekbir.org/cartes/planpay2.htm

There may be other information on their site of use to you, but it is in French.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:00 am  
    Ekbir

Thanks to all for the info. The "Ekbir.org" site appears to be an excellent resource...........If only it was in english. The bad part of this in that I am 25% French, but don't speak a lick of it Confused
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:54 am  
    Re: Ekbir

JohnSmith wrote:
    Thanks to all for the info. The "Ekbir.org" site appears to be an excellent resource...........If only it was in english. The bad part of this in that I am 25% French, but don't speak a lick of it Confused

When you search google and come up with a page in a foreign (non-english) language, it will often offer to translate the page...It's rather poorly done, but the gist is there...Here's the translation of the front page of Ekbir.org...

Kwint
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:39 pm  

Johnsmith,

According to Ekbier.org: 1.96 million inhabitants (96% human, 2% halflings, 1% olven, 1% other).
    3 major towns which are Ekbir (63 700 inhabitants), Kofeh (29 400) and Fashtri (10 000). The rest is rural (12 lesser towns going from 1000 to 2000 and many villages, usually fortified).

Yes I am French, and played a few LG rounds in Paris with those guys.
    Should you need more help, let me know.

Driss Ibn al'Issad, Paladin of the True Faith of Al'Akbar.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:15 pm  

For better or worse the populations were raised to more medival levels and to provide a rationale for the masive armies marching around the Flanaess. The higher population levels also helped to explain how humanity has been able to maintain a dominate species position. It was also done for the number crunchers.

Remember each hex can encompass several towns and villages. We tend to think of urban population rather then rural population so the numbers do not seem to add up. For some nations it is extermely problematic but overall it does prevent the monsters from destroying certain areas.

As most know the Baklunish have held some fascination for me. I have gazettered the Gulf of Guyar states, Dramidj Ocean Isles and the Underwater Races. I have used the higher population model within the region. Should I submit these articles I have finished for the region...

Articles about the Baklunish Basin
    Baklunish Basin and Its Environs (Regional Map)
    Mouqollad Consortium Analysis Ocean Trade (Regional Summary)

Dramidj Ocean Islands
    Ataphad Isles
    Anzell
    Cimmar
    Fayhib

Qayah Bureis Isles
    Bureis
    Yif Qayah

Janasib Isles
    Delshad
    Omid
    Pari
    Shokufeh
    Zirat

Gulf of Ghayar States
    The Imperial Caliphate of Istustan
    The Komal Matriarchy
    The Protectorate of Mur
    The Sharifate of Risay
    Gulf of Ghyar Adventure Locales

Underwater Civilizations
    Ixitxachitl
    Locathah
    Merfolk
    Merrow
    Sahaugin
    Triton

Regional Factions
    Ataphad Intelligence Service: 'Isam
    Isra Corsairs
    The Carrion Cult
    The Shadi Cadre

Last edited by Crag on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:43 pm  

Crag wrote:
    Should I submit these articles I have finished for the region...

Um...yes? Laughing
    Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:38 pm  

What, no Ull article Crag? Wink
    Master Greytalker

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 pm  

I could never hope to match your expertise mortellan Shocked

Concerned about stepping on the toes of the "Beyond the Flanaess" folk.

I will send them ASAP; wonder if I should send the Darak Urtag articles or mention I am working on "Celestial Kingdom of Shaofeng (Celestial Imperium)" Confused
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:37 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Crag wrote:
    Should I submit these articles I have finished for the region...

Um...yes? Laughing

Absolutely!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: